The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NSFW: 1st 4x5 shot

dizzyg44

Sorry, Didn't have any silly overly artistic title to call this image. :)

I've been in an anti model mood lately and strongly believe that there is beauty in everyone and have been yearning to shoot everyday ordinary folks unhidden...

This was my first attempt shooting LF. 210mm Fujinon on a Graphic View with old Tmax 100 and developed with 20 month old mixed D76 (it's what I had and surprisingly worked great). Interestingly, I didn't feel like wasting a lot of dev to use my cut sheet tank to do 1 exposure. Instead I took my universal 2 reel roll film tank and simply stuck the sheet in their on it's side with only the center tube in there. Used gentle swirling agitation and it developed perfectly, even, no scratches! I think I'm going to permanently avoid the cut sheet tank now!

malmac

Great to see images of ordinary folk - I particulary like the direct gaze of the realist - not too many egotistical delusions here!

dizzyg44

Thanks Mal, I'm refreshed to see that someone actually identified exactly what I was striving for without having to point it out!

malmac

I have been giving some thought to how people are seeing the world they live in and also how they want to stage manage their appearance.

If one buys into the whole, "must stay young at any cost, please pass the Botox"
then the girls are pretty and image making is judged by the masses.

On the other hand if one starts to question the orthadox marketing position - then it becomes harder to clarify things like quality, beauty, value and many other appraisals in life.

I look forward to seeing more of your work and hearing your motivations.

Mal