Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Can you guess the price ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Can you guess the price ?

    One of those images is done with a Hasselblad, one with a Nikon.

    Can you find the right one?
    Awaiting your best guess

    Both are edited (of course, I usually do not post unedited pics). NO change on color temperature was made.

    To make sure everybody is playing fair, I removed EXIF and made both the same aspect ratio:

    Pic #1 (klick here for 4000px-Version):


    Pic #2 (klick here for 4000px-Version):
    Last edited by Stan ROX; 5th July 2013 at 05:11.

  2. #2
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    Nikon second one. why Little more DOF and just a touch more contrast and color in skin tone a touch magenta. Typical Nikon
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member MaxKi▀ler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    As if it isn't hard enough to judge by websized images (you might aswell use a DX camera etc.), I'd say the first one is the Hasselblad. I guess so because of the more pleasing skin tone and crisper detail in her hair. But you might aswell want to fool us all by the way you postprocessed both images.

    EDIT: The colour temperature in the second image is not only a bit cooler, but there seems to be a tad magenta in her skin tone. Something I have experianced with some 35mm both Nikon and Canon cameras.

    PS: Or I'm just making a fool out of myself and prove your point...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxKi▀ler View Post
    As if it isn't hard enough to judge by websized images (you might aswell use a DX camera etc.), I'd say the first one is the Hasselblad. I guess so because of the more pleasing skin tone and crisper detail in her hair. But you might aswell want to fool us all by the way you postprocessed both images.

    EDIT: The colour temperature in the second image is not only a bit cooler, but there seems to be a tad magenta in her skin tone. Something I have experianced with some 35mm both Nikon and Canon cameras.

    PS: Or I'm just making a fool out of myself and prove your point...
    There's always a reason to ask for more details

    I added links for 4000-px Versions of both pictures and made some clarifications in the text.

  5. #5
    Senior Member MaxKi▀ler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan ROX View Post
    There's always a reason to ask for more details

    I added links for 4000-px Versions of both pictures and made some clarifications in the text.
    Thanks, I totally overlooked that there are links to the images below. After having watched both images at a larger size, I stand by my first observations.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    I'm inclined to agree with Guy and Max and for the same reasons.

  7. #7
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    I go with Guy.. magenta tint to skin is typical Nikon..

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,676
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    Regardless of which image came from which camera, I find the 1st image more pleasing. color (skin tone) is attractively warm and detail is exceptionally good. As Guy and many others have expressed, skin tone in 2nd image is slightly magenta which is generally a hallmark of Nikon.

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 6th July 2013 at 07:15.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    +1
    What Dave says.

  10. #10
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    The vignetting added in the second makes the DOF hard to gauge, but the color in the 1st has a bias towards green, so I'm thinking D800/e...similar to my D800's output. The top photo has much nicer oof areas too, perhaps the 85mm 1.4 G?

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    I would say the first is the D800.

  12. #12
    Member NotXorc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    Please mark as NSFW in the post title. Thank you!!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Senior Member thrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,266
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    It's in the NSFW sub-forum

  14. #14
    Member NotXorc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    It's in the NSFW sub-forum
    Hi Daniel (like your landscapes, BTW ), you're right; it's in the "Artful Images to Share, including NSFW," section. However, most of the posts in this category are very safe-for-work images. The banner for this category does also request, "Note: Clearly label NSFW (Not Safe For Work) images as such."

    Most posts do follow this convention, or provide a title that is suggestive the subject of the images may be NSFW ("Brunette Beauty," etc.). When I read the title of the post from the right column of the main page, I did not even look to see what the category was, and got rather more of an eyeful than expected.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northumbria
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    Hi Stan, since most guessers are going with the skin colour as a guide to which camera, can you clarify this bit ? ;
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan ROX View Post
    ... NO change on color temperature was made.
    I mean, any default/profile in the RAW processor is going to do 'something' to colours, and I assume we're not talking out-of-camera Jpegs here.
    It's the reason I can't guess at all : there's nothing for me to go on with such framing and apertures.
    Maybe the amber vs pink skin is a red-herring?

    (And is IS in the NSFW so no need for more warnings, surely Notxorc?)

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Douglas View Post
    Hi Stan, since most guessers are going with the skin colour as a guide to which camera, can you clarify this bit ? ;

    I mean, any default/profile in the RAW processor is going to do 'something' to colours, and I assume we're not talking out-of-camera Jpegs here.
    It's the reason I can't guess at all : there's nothing for me to go on with such framing and apertures.
    Maybe the amber vs pink skin is a red-herring?

    (And is IS in the NSFW so no need for more warnings, surely Notxorc?)
    Ulfric,

    both pictures are RAW out of the camera, into Lightroom, edited on Photoshop and exported. They are treated identical with the WB set from the default (HB: Daylight, Nikon: Auto). No changes have been made to the color temperature or any other setting related to the color setting.

    Hope this helps.

    S.

  17. #17
    Senior Member EH21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    I'll go with first image taken with Hasselblad, second Nikon. Reasons are in the DOF and skin color - just a lot more variation in skin tones in the first image - DLSR's tuned for high ISO work seem to produce flat skin tones. Curious what lenses were used. Both are showing some CA. Is that with axial CA in the top image? Also making me think that's the hasselblad shot with a pre-digital era lens.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northumbria
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    Stan ... it's time to let us know which did which?
    Number1 is in my opinion the nicest picture, and she's looking at you as if you're holding a Hasselblad ...

  19. #19
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    Stan,is it possible to shoot an identical scene with the blad and nikon with a short duration between the shot's..?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    OK, Guys.

    First of all, let me say that I wrote to those that had given a statement in this thread. All of you that just wondered but not typed ... well.

    However,

    the first one is from the Nikon.
    Nikon D800e, 85mm 1.8G, f/2.2, 1/400 sec, ISO 320

    the second one is from the Hasselblad.
    Hasselblad H4D-40, 50-110mm, f/5.6, 1/500 sec, ISO 100.

    Both pictures have been edited, but the colors are unchanged!

    S.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    You did not write to me. ;(

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can you guess the price ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    You did not write to me. ;(
    I was busy doing some shootings with my D800e
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •