Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire, Ireland
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre

    Hi guys

    I've 2 new projects I'm working on. This urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre was taken just before sunrise. It is part of a new project consisting of a photos of Dublin city centre at or before sunrise. The images are all but void of people in order to create a surreal ambiance at locations used to been occupied by the human population. My aim is to make quite dynamic structured shots of unorthodox locations so that the images are all about the structures rather than typical Dublin photos. You can click here to view it in a larger size You can see it here in a nice large size here.

    All comments about the watermark will be ignored!

    www.endacavanagh.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre

    Very nice Enda,is this shot with the HCD-28m?are you still using the H4D?


    Rob

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire, Ireland
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre

    Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    Very nice Enda,is this shot with the HCD-28m?are you still using the H4D?

    Rob
    Hi Rob
    No it was actually the Schneider 47mm. with the H4D 50. I didn't want it to look too stretched because the bridge was going the whole diagonal. I wanted to get that whole field of view while pulling the gated alley way in to make it more dominant.

    I'm back with the H3D 39. I just decided to hold off investing in the H5D or H4D. There just wasn't enough of an improvement on what I needed. A camera that at the end of the day would make my life a lot easier to help me concentrate more on getting the all important image. Very little real difference in resolution, the screen is a lot better (the one on the H3D is sub standard at best) and I could shoot 150 seconds on the H4D 50 (you get more than 128 seconds on a view camera interestingly) but is that enough to upgrade. No. I would jump at an IQ 260 system but the dark frame is an absolute killer for me. Impossible for my type of photography. I keep saying surely they could limit the dark frame say to exposures over a couple of minutes so that the vast amount of time you can shoot continuously without interruption, vital for my panos, especially in low light. The H5D was such a disappointment. I thought it would bridge what is now a substantial gap between Phase One in practically every aspect but unfortunately not. I don't even see the point in bringing it out. I mean surely they must known that most people investing that type of money, do their research and would see wait a minute the H4D and H5D are pretty much the same camera, yet one is several thousand cheaper. I mean the bloody thing still has crappy firewire 800. The latest mac book pros, don't even firewire 800 that anymore. The older mac book pros are renowned for having just about the worst firewire 800 connection out there.
    The H5D release reminds me of the "last" mac pro upgrade, which briefly appeared on the apple website and was than taken down because of the huge outcry from mac users who immediately saw that the "upgrade" was completely insignificant.
    Right. Rant over
    www.endacavanagh.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre

    I thought with the IQ260, you only needed to shoot one dark frame as long as the exposure parameters remained the same.... but maybe i'm mistaken (just taking the MF leap of faith next month).

  5. #5
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre

    Quote Originally Posted by satybhat View Post
    I thought with the IQ260, you only needed to shoot one dark frame as long as the exposure parameters remained the same.... but maybe i'm mistaken (just taking the MF leap of faith next month).
    I'm pretty sure it's a separate dark frame for every long exposure shot,even if the parameters are the same..

  6. #6
    Senior Member RVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre

    Quote Originally Posted by Enda Cavanagh View Post
    Hi Rob
    No it was actually the Schneider 47mm. with the H4D 50. I didn't want it to look too stretched because the bridge was going the whole diagonal. I wanted to get that whole field of view while pulling the gated alley way in to make it more dominant.

    I'm back with the H3D 39. I just decided to hold off investing in the H5D or H4D. There just wasn't enough of an improvement on what I needed. A camera that at the end of the day would make my life a lot easier to help me concentrate more on getting the all important image. Very little real difference in resolution, the screen is a lot better (the one on the H3D is sub standard at best) and I could shoot 150 seconds on the H4D 50 (you get more than 128 seconds on a view camera interestingly) but is that enough to upgrade. No. I would jump at an IQ 260 system but the dark frame is an absolute killer for me. Impossible for my type of photography. I keep saying surely they could limit the dark frame say to exposures over a couple of minutes so that the vast amount of time you can shoot continuously without interruption, vital for my panos, especially in low light. The H5D was such a disappointment. I thought it would bridge what is now a substantial gap between Phase One in practically every aspect but unfortunately not. I don't even see the point in bringing it out. I mean surely they must known that most people investing that type of money, do their research and would see wait a minute the H4D and H5D are pretty much the same camera, yet one is several thousand cheaper. I mean the bloody thing still has crappy firewire 800. The latest mac book pros, don't even firewire 800 that anymore. The older mac book pros are renowned for having just about the worst firewire 800 connection out there.
    The H5D release reminds me of the "last" mac pro upgrade, which briefly appeared on the apple website and was than taken down because of the huge outcry from mac users who immediately saw that the "upgrade" was completely insignificant.
    Right. Rant over
    I was going to upgrade my H4d to a H5d but held off for the reasons you mentioned,a new H should have least have USB3 and a retina preview screen ..I think the better option is a H4X and IQ back,,

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire, Ireland
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre

    Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a separate dark frame for every long exposure shot,even if the parameters are the same..
    It's think it's for all exposures unfortunately.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre

    Surely this is something that can be fixed via firmware upgrades ? say delaying writing to card until 5 consecutive exposures, then 5 dark frames ? I'm sure the buffer would allow it if one shot per sec is already possible. not sure if anyone's thought about that.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire, Ireland
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre

    Quote Originally Posted by satybhat View Post
    Surely this is something that can be fixed via firmware upgrades ?.
    +1

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre

    I just think of the dark frame as the digital equivalent of reciprocity law failure compensation with film. That was about a stop.

    Don't think of it as a dark frame, but a contemplation break. We all went to larger formats to contemplate the shot. You are just doing it after the exposure.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Dun Laoghaire, Ireland
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre

    Will. I shoot a lot of panoramics with multiple exposures so I would not necesserilly call it a contemplation break. More a break my bloody camera break )) It just doesn't suit my workflow

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •