The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mrauk-U

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have done a little journey the week that has passed. Time was limited, so it lasted much shorter than I would have liked, but from a photographic point of view, it was as good as it gets, at least when it comes to motives. We (I and a Burmese colleague), travelled to Mrauk-U, a town that is easiest to reach by river-boat, 5-6 hours inland from Sittwe, the capital of the Rakhine State in Myanmar. Sittwe is in itself the centre of a very controversial ethnic conflict, a conflict I will not comment upon.

As a starter, here's a photo of the ferry that took us back to Sittwe this morning, a voyage that took 6 hours and was part of the 18 hour journey back to my apartment in Thailand. I will post these photos in the 4/3 forum as well, since all photos were taken with Panasonic GH2 and GH3.

GH3 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 14mm and f/4

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
First things first: I've mostly been travelling alone the last 18 years, but all good things have to come to an end. Here's the end, my excellent colleague and travel companion:

GH3 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 50mm and f/5.6

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you, Rayyan. Here's one from Sittwe in the evening, after work and before the journey really began.

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
6 hours with this kind of view is what it takes to go to Mrauk-U. The constant haze makes all colours look pastel.

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Good, functional architecture is kind of universal wherever in the world one travels.

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/3.5

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As far as we went, a village with no road connection, where the mountains start towards the Indian border.

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
These boats are used to transport gravel for road construction from further up the river. This is their destination port where the gravel is carried by hand on shore.

GH2 with Panasonic 7-14mm @ 7mm and f/4.5