The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PAW -- Picture A Week -- Have fun!

Darin Marcus

What a wonderful shot! It touches me to the very core! I can look at it forever.
Thank you very much!

A few more details about the photo:

This is the Patrick Dougherty stickwork installation at the US Botanic Garden in Washington DC (https://www.usbg.gov/Dougherty). Hopefully this link will remain active for a longer time, as these types of exhibits are temporary.

I did not know about it ahead of time - just went to the botanic garden to test my new camera/lens. It was late in the day and cloudy, so low light, and slow shutter speed. Upon seeing it, my plan was to fill the frame with the structure to better capture the "organic labyrinth" aspect of it. I initially wanted to avoid having people in the frame, which proved practically impossible because many kids were constantly running throughout the installation. As I was watching the action the thought occurred to maybe create a story by capturing the moment two kids were going inside - like Hansel & Gretel :) In the end this capture with only one kid was the best. And the slow shutter speed made that kid appear ghostly, while the optical VR of the lens captured a sharp installation.

Finally, the colors were not helping the story, so I thought about a B&W conversion. However, I do not have much expertise in B&W conversions, so I shamelessly applied one of the "creative" picture controls in Capture NX-D and did a little fine tuning after that.

In the and, it was a series of fortunate events that led to the final image as posted here :)

Abstraction

Thank you very much!

A few more details about the photo:

This is the Patrick Dougherty stickwork installation at the US Botanic Garden in Washington DC (https://www.usbg.gov/Dougherty). Hopefully this link will remain active for a longer time, as these types of exhibits are temporary.

I did not know about it ahead of time - just went to the botanic garden to test my new camera/lens. It was late in the day and cloudy, so low light, and slow shutter speed. Upon seeing it, my plan was to fill the frame with the structure to better capture the "organic labyrinth" aspect of it. I initially wanted to avoid having people in the frame, which proved practically impossible because many kids were constantly running throughout the installation. As I was watching the action the thought occurred to maybe create a story by capturing the moment two kids were going inside - like Hansel & Gretel :) In the end this capture with only one kid was the best. And the slow shutter speed made that kid appear ghostly, while the optical VR of the lens captured a sharp installation.

Finally, the colors were not helping the story, so I thought about a B&W conversion. However, I do not have much expertise in B&W conversions, so I shamelessly applied one of the "creative" picture controls in Capture NX-D and did a little fine tuning after that.

In the and, it was a series of fortunate events that led to the final image as posted here :)
I applaud you for choosing just the right happy accidents. :D

pegelli

Different style highrisers in Shanghai (through a dirty window :banghead:)

KonicaMinolta 5D + Tamron 70-300LD telemacro

PeterA

I 're-bought' a Noctilux for the 4th time in 20 yrs - this time I managed to get the one I sold just before Christmas back from my dealer - I've had it since the original MM and I missed 'Fat Boy'...

Godfrey

From yesterday's isolation walk ...

Bicycles - Santa Clara 2020
iPhone 11 Pro
ISO 20 @ f/2 @ 1/620 @ 16:10 format

Onwards! G

pegelli

Lock Down!

KonicaMinolta 5D + Minolta 85/1.4 RS G

From my semi-confinement bicycle tour yesterday afternoon

Godfrey

More from an exercise walk ...