The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Accidental Images

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
A thread on aspect ratios turned to the subject of accidental images. I'll start here with my favorite examples:

From an M9 that fired as I was setting it down on a bench:

A misfire while carrying a Leica S(006):

This is a tight crop from a picture of a discarded water bottle. I didn't notice the writing inside many of the droplets - it's too small to see in the full frame. I think this counts as an accident, even though I meant to take the picture. Leica S(006) with 120/2.5 Macro:

Other happy accidents welcome!

Best,

Matt

Elderly

I've moved this accident here and will edit it out of wherever I first put it ..... if I can recall where?
(Is there a search for your own posts facility on this site?).

As I only take images with micro 4/3rds now, that is the only lounge that I visit on a regular basis
(I enjoy our friendly little 'club' :thumbup:);
I hope that others do not share my habit :eek:.

ETA I didn't realise that it's too late to edit my original post :confused:

Elderly

I have a friend ( a successful film director and animator ) who at one time was obsessed with 'quality'
in terms of the hardware of cameras (and other material things except cars) to get a result, but now he just walks around with a compact in his hand randomly pressing the shutter and at the end of the day sees what he's accidently captured ....... but in this incidence - are they accidents?

Shashin

Most of my images are accidents, train wrecks to be more precise. But what does a lack of intension have to do with it? I simply might not be a good driver...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well, I suppose images that were accidentally better than intended are welcome - that was my third one above. If that's all of them, then post them all!

--Matt

k-hawinkler

Well Matt.
I typically shoot a number of images of a scene and on inspection on my computer sometimes discover stuff I had not seen when taking the image.
Also small differences in holding the camera can have quite a big effect for me liking or discarding an image.
Those can either be accidents or welcome surprises. :grin: