The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

100 years ago

scho

I must have taken hundreds of images of Taughannock Falls over the past 30 years with both film and digital cameras, but never have I captured a scene like this at the falls overlook that was taken in 1866. I found this picture in the local history center archives of a family posing at the Taughannock Falls overlook. The image clarity and quality was amazing for a picture taken back in the early days of photography. The cliff face and the lip of the falls has eroded considerably in the intervening years. The only protection at the old overlook was a simple log fence at the edge of the cliff. I get white knuckles standing on the very safe concrete and stone structure of the current overlook so I can't imagine leaning against a log fence at the edge of a 300 ft sheer cliff drop.