The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bicycles of all Types

alajuela

Hi

Here we have two bikes,

This one holds a line like no other, just does everything on the road great.
C60

This one can do anything and last a long long time
LiteSpeed

The one missing is a 1992 racing bike which is in the garage - used now for errands to Publix

Thanks

Phil

pegelli

Rental bicycles I saw in Rotterdam yesterday

The text says: 100% stew driven.

However depending on the ingredients of the stew it might still not be zero emissions :angel:

Sony A7ii + M-Elmar 50/3.5 (M39)

Godfrey

My beautiful and superb, custom-build, Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon was stolen last Saturday. I rode that bicycle every day, fettled every nut and bolt on it. It was completely, totally, exactly fitted to me and my riding. And it is totally gone ... I have it on credible word that it was chopped within the day it was stolen, it doesn't exist any more.

The theft was like ripping a piece of my heart out. :( I have to move on.

I'm building a new bike, this time based on a Salsa Beargrease frame set. The frame set arrived at the build shop on Thursday and I went to check it.

All the parts except for the carbon wheels will be in and the build will happen this week. I will fit my original Fatboy wheels until the new custom wheels arrive, hopefully be riding again next weekend.

G

"No matter where you go, go there on two wheels."

pegelli

I won't put a like below that post Godfrey, since I absolute hate this kind of news. People should keep their hands off other people's property, especially the kind of tools that you use to execute your passion, like photography and bicycle riding (and I can name a few more) :angry:.
Hope you were well insured and that your new bike will even ride better than the one you lost, sometimes these bad events can also be a blessing in disguise.

alajuela

My beautiful and superb, custom-build, Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon was stolen last Saturday. I rode that bicycle every day, fettled every nut and bolt on it. It was completely, totally, exactly fitted to me and my riding. And it is totally gone ... I have it on credible word that it was chopped within the day it was stolen, it doesn't exist any more.

The theft was like ripping a piece of my heart out. :( I have to move on.

I'm building a new bike, this time based on a Salsa Beargrease frame set. The frame set arrived at the build shop on Thursday and I went to check it.

All the parts except for the carbon wheels will be in and the build will happen this week. I will fit my original Fatboy wheels until the new custom wheels arrive, hopefully be riding again next weekend.

G

I feel for you Godfrey :cry: I wish you the best of luck - enjoy the build !!!!

Phil

Godfrey

Thank you for your words of support. I can't think about the old bike without it ripping into me again—I put a lot of me into every project I do, to have it taken away and torn apart like that is just way hard to handle. If I'd just crashed and wrecked it, that wouldn't be so bad. Theft is a personal affront, a total dismissal of anything other than greed and money. It's a violation.

But such it is. There's only forwards, onwards.

I was insured and the insurance company acted with extraordinary speed in evaluating and making a settlement. The check is on the way to me already. Meanwhile, I have gotten completely engaged in the build of the Fatboy's successor. The Beargrease frame is a little higher quality, higher spec than the Fatboy Comp Carbon frame, and a touch lighter. The drivetrain components I'm using are identical, but in a bit of a fey mood, I pulled out all the stops to go for a near all carbon build on cockpit bits like the bars, stem, seat post, etc: It'll be interesting to see how it ends up. I'm hoping for ~25 lbs (~11 kg) all up weight, ready to ride; the Fatboy Comp Carbon ended up at 28.2 lbs (12.8 kg).

Given the small differences in geometry between the two frames, I expect the SBG (SBG == "Salsa BearGrease", this bike's name :)) to be a bit quicker responding and to have a slightly nicer ride due to all the carbon components. While the Fatboy was all bold with its satin black, white, and red color scheme, the lovely three-tone satin black/gloss black/silvery gray paint of SBG's frame will couple with wheels in a subtle set of cool tones and colors as well.

It will be beautiful, it will be fun: I can't wait to ride it!

G

Elderly

Sorry to hear that Godfrey - I can empathise.

Many many years ago my racing bike with all the state-of-the art Italian components (nothing Japanese back then) with its custom built frame was stolen.

Many months later I got a call from the police to come an identify a bike in pieces.

The thief after a long period of time had taken my immaculate looking frame-set into a cycle shop to have it resprayed.
The shop owner was suspicious as the last thing it this expensive and beautiful frame needed was a re-spay.

When the thief returned to collect the frame, the shop owner stalled for time whilst calling the police -
the thief was arrested and his premises searched. There they found boxes of components.
I identified mine and put the other various bits into a separate box.

The police told me to keep them as nobody else in the area had reported a bicycle as being stolen during that time frame.

Your beloved might be returned to you eventually ...................???????????????????????

Godfrey

A sad story with a good ending, I'm glad for you.

I doubt very much it's going to happen in my case. Through an edgy set of contacts, a breaker who works for the chop shops in the SJ bicycle theft ring was told the story of my bike's theft and shown pictures. He responded that he knew that bike, had seen it that day. It was resold three or four times, he said, and rendered to parts by sundown that day—too unique, too expensive to let it be seen whole for long. The frame was evidently headed to Northern California, the rest of the parts had gone to LA, Sacramento, Texas, and beyond.

I can't dwell on it anymore. It does evil things to my heart and mind to think about the theft. I'd rather remember the bike fondly, a great machine that taught me a heck of a lot, and look at the photos I made of it, and smile.

Yeah, that's the way to see it. :D
SBG will be beautiful, it will be light, it will be everything I learned on the Fatboy and more.

G

JoelM

So sorry for your loss Godfrey. I actually know how you feel. My first "good" bike was a 1989 De Rosa that I scrimped and saved for quite a while and put together, was stolen when I newly moved to Seattle. Felt like a chunk of me was gone. Took a few years to save for a new one.

Best to you on your new ride!

Joel

Godfrey

Thanks Joel!

A little bit of joy was in my email that I have to share: The Chinese company that I first ordered the*carbon rims for the Fatboy from, BTLOS.com, did a super job of making them and supplying them quickly. Since they were great to deal with and the first rims were so good, I ordered a new set for the wheels I'm having built for SBG.

The customer service person there, Amy, sent a note of condolence for the loss, and I had responded with thanks and the information she requested, including a query about what she thought delivery time might be given the current virus business and my thoughts for the safety and health of her family and friends in this crisis. She responded this morning with a lovely note telling of her own dealing with the theft of a loved bike, assurances that her family and friends were safe (and suggestions on how to stay safe myself), and then added a note to say that she talked with her manager and they've arranged to give my new rims first priority on the production line and free shipping to speed them to me as quickly as possible. A refund notice from Paypal for the amount of the shipping I'd prepaid was next in my email list.

That's a gesture of kindness and support that goes beyond any expectations! People I've never met from halfway around the planet reaching out to say "we empathize, this was a crappy thing that shouldn't happen" ... Wow! I'm overwhelmed. What a great bunch of folks, what a wonderful company to do business with!

If you want some really nice carbon rims made for your bicycle, go to BTLOS.com and tell them I sent you! They are good people, and their products are solid and beautiful! :D

G

JoelM

^^^ Wonderful story. It's fantastic when people amaze in the best possible sense. Thanks for sharing.

Joel

Godfrey

Yesterday was build day for the new bike, a custom build based on the 2020 Salsa Beargrease frame set. I think it came out rather nicely!

SBG – Santa Clara 2020
iPhone 11 Pro

I took it on its first ride yesterday, a shakedown run, and have the seat and controls all in the right places, but the bar I chose to start with has just a little too much rise ... I'll exchange that for a flatter bend. Also, the wheels aren't final: these are the original wheels that I took off the Fatboy when I bought carbon wheels for it. A new set of carbon wheels for this bike are on the way but it'll be a couple of weeks yet before they arrive. (These wheels won't go to waste ... I have another frame set that I'll build with them. :))

Here's the builder, Jake (my buddy at the Summit Bicycles shop who built it for me), presenting the completed bike to me yesterday:

Jake and the SBG – Santa Clara 2020
Leica CL + Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5
ISO 2000 @ f/5.6 @ 1/50

On two wheels again! :D

G