The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

blue wind

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Greetings,

my second day with a makro lense.... I experimented with a gentle breeze, and the first picture here grabbed my attention and lead to the title of the series.... blue wind. Alain's recent article on blur inspired me to adapt the concept using a macro lense. The difference is that I observe wind instead of using camera movement. A natural next step for my way of shooting, as I do the same with waves since years, observing the patterns, then shoot in sync, exposures of 20 seconds etc., I love that.

The last picture is "dragon head" ;)

The reason i am posting here is that I am interested in your opinion on something. I consider the five to be a print series for an exhibition in July. - To be sold as a series only of course, not single prints! - It is my very first time I create such a print series for that purpose. I want to use the same in a book that I plan and eventually have printed in Canada this year.

I guess my question is what your impressions/thoughts are on the pictures, particulary as a series.

As for framing, I intend to go with something simple but slick, magnetic frames, brushed aluminium from Halbe Rahmen, a classic. The way I would hang them, is to frame the last three with the first two.

http://halbe-rahmen.de/en/main/halbe.html

Thanks for your time folks, much appreciated!

Best wishes

Oceanviewstudio
Georg

P.S. Is my first time I am posting pics here Jack, if something went not the way you guys want the uploads here, size or something, let me know.

Last edited:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
I would hang them in this order from left to right.

1st on first left position
3rd on second from left
5fth on third...
4th on fourth...
2nd on fifth

Sorry for the mess... :ROTFL: Not sure how to re arrange them after I posted here.

kweide

Nice to see you here, Laughingbear....
I would prefer some plain white frame around those pics, a white border which give a sweet contrast to the blue appearance and a special kind of illumination. It adds a touch of GLOW....

"It's all gear, so what? I am interested in what you do with gear, not what gear you have. " YES YES YES

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
:toocool: Hi Klaus!

yeah, I was serious about that "camera talk", but I had some difficulties to bring my point across in german.

Thanks for your feedback Klaus, believe it or not, I am still torn between brushed aluminium and sort of white frames! :) At the moment I lean a little more to the first one. I guess it would be ideal to see both versions on the wall before making a final decision.... I also decided to substitute the last of the series with another one. I printed a first test series and created a profile for Epson's 250GMS Ultra Smooth Fine Art Paper, really love it!

Last edited:
N

nei1

I would make a massive print of the first one and leave the rest very small around the main photo.

Last edited:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi Nei1,

Thanks. An interesting idea for a poster like print. However, to print the first one on it's own in large format is tempting as well. Could be interesting on canvas.

Lars

The peril with printing the first image large is that there is very little detail except in the center so the viewer will be drawn in to examine the print closely. Even more so if you place small prints of the other images around the large print. So the print must have the resolution needed to stand up to that kind of scrutiny.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi Lars,

agreeed, and I am not so keen on the poster idea overall. They lend themselves to a smaller frame size in my opinion.

Lars

Yep wide white matte to bring out the gorgeous blues. Can you get close to those colors in print?

N

nei1

Georg,my reasoning was that the first is the strongest image,the second appears to be the same photo and the othes are nice but quite loud in comparison to that very special first one.I just thought to make a coherent group rather than a bit of a fight for attention.However the images are beautiful and will stand whatever way you display them..............Neil.:)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Georg:

Awesome series! I tend to agree re the first and second appearing the same shot with different cropping, but to my eye, the second is the stronger composition. Personally, I would print the middle three, ideally cropped to the same proportions and printed to the same exact size (I am compulsive) -- and then definitely surrounded by a large white mat ;) Re frames, I am traditional, and for photographs prefer a relatively thin black frame if going with metal.

Great post!