The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

bensonga

It's not often that I see one of the newer Alaska RR locomotives near the road anymore. Security is very tightly enforced on AK railroad property now, so don't even think about stepping too close. I only had a Fuji X-Pro1 with the XF WR 23/2 lens with me today, so this is cropped quite a lot from the original image.

Gary

The Spirit of Fairbanks

Last edited:

spijker

I've been mostly a lurker here so far. But as a train fan I thought I'd make a contribution to this thread. These are pictures that I took in August 2016 while on vacation in the Black Forest in Germany. Every Sunday in July and August, there's a steam train of the Eisenbahnfreunde Zollernbahn going over the Schwarzwaldbahn between Rottweil and Hausach. It also runs this summer.

End station Hausach. The locomotive is moving backwards to the (new) front of the train.

The driving wheels are 2 meter in diameter.

Leaving Hausach station towards Triberg.

Leaving Triberg station.

While the train was making a big loop to gain altitude, we took a shortcut in the car to catch up at the end of the Hohen-Tunnel.

All pictures; Mamiya 645AFDIII, 75-150mm f/4.5 AF-D and 45mm F/2.8 AF, Ilford Delta 400 film.

Menno

Last edited:

pegelli

Great series spijker! It reminds me of my youth when we went to the German town of Rheine, which had a large depot of active steam engines in active duty. Thanks for sharing!

Something a bit more mundane:

Two older "brothers" standing side-by-side in Antwerp central

A850 + Min 50/1.7

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Time for some racing again, at the great Bang Saen Street Circuit. I don't really do this anymore, but thought it would be fun to do a race mostly with manual lenses. We'll see what I end up with. Here's a test shot from today while I was waiting for my credentials :)

GX8 with Samyang 135mm f/2

And one from the pit lane, same camera and lens:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yeah, yeah, yeah... there were cars there as well. Nothing major, just decorative items to make the girls look cuter ;)

D2Xs with 80-200 AF-S @ 112mm and f/3.5

pegelli

At the Dutch narrow-gauge tramway museum in Valkenburg (between Leiden and Katwijk)

Sony A7 + Minolta MD Rokkor 50/2

spijker

At the Dutch narrow-gauge tramway museum in Valkenburg (between Leiden and Katwijk)
Nice! The locomotive is discretely peeing. :D I didn't know of this place even though I cycled through the area many times on my Sunday rides through the dunes when I still lived in Zoetermeer. I'll check it out in August when we're back in the Netherlands on vacation.

pegelli

Nice! The locomotive is discretely peeing. :D I didn't know of this place even though I cycled through the area many times on my Sunday rides through the dunes when I still lived in Zoetermeer. I'll check it out in August when we're back in the Netherlands on vacation.
Hi Menno, certainly worth the visit if you are in the area. I only found out because recently my father moved to the area (Leiden) and we decided together to check it out.

Good you noticed the "peeing", they had trouble with the water injectors because the boiler feedwater in the tank between the frameplates became too warm, so they were letting out warm water and filling up with colder water at the same time.

Here's a view in the other direction, the fireman and driver taking a coffee break after the engine is filled with water and coal for the next trip

Sony A7 + Minolta MD Rokkor 50/2

gandolfi

Subscriber Member

Pieter,

A few years ago I did a tourist coach trip north of Amsterdam, to Volendam, Marken, and I can remember remarking to someone that The Netherlands reminded me of nothing so much as feeling I was in Toytown!
Your narrow gauge pictures prove that I was probably right.

Here's a toy Alfa;) - in-camera miniature mode.

pegelli

Pieter,

A few years ago I did a tourist coach trip north of Amsterdam, to Volendam, Marken, and I can remember remarking to someone that The Netherlands reminded me of nothing so much as feeling I was in Toytown!
Your narrow gauge pictures prove that I was probably right.
Yes we know we are small :cool:

Even our former queen Wilhelmina knew it, that's why a statue of her in Middelburg has a saying about that written on the bottom:

Nederland, zij groot in alles waarin ook een klein volk groot kan zijn ( = The Netherlands, act big in everything in which a small nation can also be big)

Btw, nice alpha, I like the eye-popping red

bensonga

Just looking thru some old scans of Hasselblad images tonight.

Ford Mainline, 501CM and the 50mm CFi lens (I think)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Gary , bensonga, this one is especially for you .
I found that yesterday just passing by . SONY A7II OLYMPUS OM 2/21mm . I hope you like it and it turns you on . :salute:

ULM.062.jpg

jotloob

Subscriber Member
And this vehicle is for those who love slow riding with a "cult" scooter . VESPA . Very nice condition .

ULM.046.jpg

bensonga

Gary , bensonga, this one is especially for you .
I found that yesterday just passing by . SONY A7II OLYMPUS OM 2/21mm . I hope you like it and it turns you on . :salute:
Thanks for thinking of me Jurgen! I guess in one respect, all two wheeled motorcycles and scooters etc are good, but I certainly prefer that classic Vespa scooter over the Harley power cruiser. Any of the "cruiser" style motorcycles with the forward controls, low seats etc are just too uncomfortable for me to ride longer distances and on narrow, winding mountain roads I prefer. I generally enjoy sport touring, adventure touring, moderate sport and more standard type motorcycles. Those are the only kinds I own or ride now.

On a rare hot summer day in Alaska, I love to take this bike out for spirited ride on the local backroads or just to enjoy the warmth of the sun and the feel of the open road. It has a 650cc parallel twin engine with about 50hp. That is enough power for me on most days. This Kawasaki W650 looks and rides a lot like a 1968 Triumph Bonneville, but it has reliable electrics and doesn't leak oil. I fitted the lower European handlebars to my bike. My wife's W650 has the higher American style bars. The W650 was only imported to the USA from Japan for 2 years (2000 & 2001). We have one from each year. It is also one of very few modern motorcycles with a kick starter. :thumbs:

Gary