The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

pegelli

SS 657 "Kikker" ("Frog") on it's way back to Haaksbergen between Boekelo and Boekelo-Zoutindustrie

Sony A700 + 18-250

Last edited:

pegelli

Looks very much like my beloved Bavarian DVI loko .
There's indeed plenty similarities between these two small types engines, but there's some differences as well like the SS 657 (NS 8107) has side water tanks and a Walschaerts steam distribution. I just love all these small loco's and used to fire and drive them until about 27 years ago when we moved out of the country

Ready to take water:

Sony A700 + 18-250

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
There's indeed plenty similarities between these two small types engines, but there's some differences as well like the SS 657 (NS 8107) has side water tanks and a Walschaerts steam distribution. I just love all these small loco's and used to fire and drive them until about 27 years ago when we moved out of the country

Ready to take water:

Sony A700 + 18-250
Pieter

I don't know exactly how many BAVARIAN DVI lokos existed , but almost all of them had major or minor modifications . And they all had an ALAN steam distribution . That loko , no matter which modifications were done , is my beloved loko .
I have built 4 machines myself in scale HO , all different modifications .
And I have 2 models from MICRO METAKIT , handmade , and also one in gauge 0 . Unfortunately in black . Do you still drive these small machines ? ? ?

pegelli

Pieter

I don't know exactly how many BAVARIAN DVI lokos existed , but almost all of them had major or minor modifications . And they all had an ALAN steam distribution . That loko , no matter which modifications were done , is my beloved loko .
I have built 4 machines myself in scale HO , all different modifications .
And I have 2 models from MICRO METAKIT , handmade , and also one in gauge 0 . Unfortunately in black . Do you still drive these small machines ? ? ?
I guess the Bavarian DVI is a bit like the German T3, built with an almost infinite number of variations by different factories.

My dad was a model railroader as well and has built a few English and Dutch smaller steam locomotives, among them a LB&SCR Terrier and a Dutch series 1900. They're still in the family, allthough just shown in a cabinet and no longer running.

I stopped firing and driving museum engines (scale 1:1 model railroad :LOL:) when we moved to the US in 1993 and when we came back we moved to Belgium, so I now live too far from the museum line. Also 3 growing kids, busy family and job made it impractical to continue this passion.

Here you can see me driving MBS #4 (Former Kleinbahn Delmenhorst-Harpstedt 353, Hanomag 1925) back to Haaksbergen somewhere in the late 80's

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Very nice Pieter .
A white shirt and a tie is the perfect outfit for a steam engine machinist . :ROTFL: .
The prussian T3 is also a very much liked little machine . What a pitty , that you don't drive these "jewels" any more .
All my models (about 90) are in a glass cabinets as are my 16 HASSELBLADs .
And I talk to my cameras . Am I nuts ? ? ?

JoelM

Very nice Pieter .
A white shirt and a tie is the perfect outfit for a steam engine machinist . :ROTFL: .
The prussian T3 is also a very much liked little machine . What a pitty , that you don't drive these "jewels" any more .
All my models (about 90) are in a glass cabinets as are my 16 HASSELBLADs .
And I talk to my cameras . Am I nuts ? ? ?
Only if you hear them talk back :)

pegelli

Very nice Pieter .
:LOL:

Thanks Jürgen, but actually the outfit is pretty close to how drivers were dressed at the Dutch railways in the late 1930's.

Only two things missing, the cap and a black manchester/corduroy jacket (with polished brass buttons). However on warmer days the fire and boiler were hot enough to not need the jacket. Probably driving in colder weather at higher speeds it was very welcome while hanging out of the cab, but I hardly used mine in all the years I was doing duty on these engines.

Another blast from the past, the SS 657 at the 150 years jubileum of the Dutch Railways in Utrecht, I'm again hanging out, this time with the cap on (with the gold ring around the top showing me as a qualified driver). I'm standing on the fireman side, so probably he is driving at this moment.

(Scanned colour slide, taken with my OM2 by a friend on the platform)

pegelli

I paid another visit to the Museum Buurtspoorweg in Haaksbergen, where I used to be part of the team until 1993. Still knew quite a few people so we could chat up on old times:

Engine # 6 "Magda" entering Haaksbergen with a train from Boekelo:

Same engine, waiting along platform #2 for further action (which was back to the shed due to the very hot weather of ~38 degrees C that day)

Shunting with a small Diesel from the "Sik" series (NS 259, built by Werkspoor Amsterdam in 1936)

All A7ii + Leica Elmarit 90/2.8 (M39)

pegelli

A few more from Engine #6 "Magda" at the Museum Buurtspoorweg in Haaksbergen

1: Waiting along platform #2

2: Drive gear

3: Boilerfront

4: Gauges

1,2,4: A7ii + Elmarit 90/2.8, 3:A7 + Summaron 35/2.8

pegelli

The biggest engine of the Museum Buurtspoorweg in Haaksbergen, and also the only one they have with a superheater

#5, an Elna built by Henchel in 1927

Sony A700 + 18-250

bensonga

Here is a now classic American car that is often regarded as the epitome of the late 1950s "big fins" style. I was surprised to see it at a recent Anchorage car show (the 41st Annual Jay Ofsthun Show and Shine). The sheer length of this car was amazing. Of course, the pictures do not do it justice.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/cadillac/1959-cadillac-eldorado-biarritz-convertible-ar184578.html

Gary

Nikon Df with the 50mm f1.8G "Special Edition" ;-) lens. I really do like the look of images from this camera/sensor.

bensonga

Here is another from the same car show. This photo is one of my favorites from that day. Also shot with the Df etc.

Gary