The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

JoelM

A quick snap I took a while ago of my friend's beautiful MV with my Epson R-d1 and Noctilux.

Joel

MV.jpg

bensonga

Last weekend I was at the Laguna Seca track in Monterey, California to see the IndyCAR Firestone Grand Prix. The main event was the final IndyCAR race of 2019. There were also 2019 season final races for three other "Road to Indy" open wheel series, plus the Mazda MX5 Cup and Porsche GT3 Cup races. The weather was sunny and warm (very hot on Saturday...track temps of +100 degrees). The racing was loud and raw (hearing protection advisable). I took more photos with the Olympus E-M1X and 40-150/2.8 lens than I've ever taken at similar events with other cameras before (+1500 images over a 3 day period). I started to go thru them tonight and it seems that few of my photos really captured the visceral and raw experience I remember.

I decided to take one image and process it in a way that might reflect (for me) a bit more of the raw beauty, force and agility of these cars.

None of the photos I took could capture the sounds.

Gary

At the top of the Corkscrew.....

Last edited:

bensonga

One more processed with a similar intent.

IndyCars exiting Turn 5 at Laguna Seca.

E-M1X and the 40-150/2.8 lens. This camera/lens was never a limiting factor for me.

bensonga

Two cars in the Indy Pro 2000 series coming down the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca.

Car #7 driven by Kory Enders (22 years old). Car #11 driven by Antonio Serravalle (17 years old).

Gary

Panasonic GX8, 35-100/2.8 v1 lens

bensonga

Rasumus Lindh (18 yrs old) in the Indy Pro 2000 on the Laguna Seca Corkscrew.

Gary

Pana GX8, 35-100/2.8 v1

pegelli

On our way back from the isle of Skye we visited the Glenfinnan viaduct to catch "The Jacobite" steamtrain running between Fort William and Mallaig, also known as the "Harry Potter train"

Black Five "The Lancashire Fusilier" #45407 running tender first back to Fort William

Unfortunately no sound with this second photo, and too warm to see much steam, but the sound of the engine starting to climb the gradient after the viaduct was surely impressive

And an emulation how a post card from the time this engine was built might have looked :)

All A7ii + FE24-70/4 CZ

JoelM

Okay, so the first one is of the rare 1969 Trans Am. The second is from a rather impromptu gathering of a group of BMW Z4M Coupe owners, me (and mine) on the far left. Only 1815 imported into North America from 2006-2008. You will hardly ever see one, but they are wonderful, fun, and exciting cars. Highly underrated.

Joel

69TA.jpg

Z4MC-1.jpg

pegelli

All trains leaving or entering Edinburgh Waverley Station to/from the west have to pass through a tunnel right underneath the Scottish National Gallery

Sony A7 + FE24-70/4 CZ

Knorp

Ah, that's closer to home than I thought. I was thinking of a BW in Germany, not good old Rotjeknor, my former home town. :D As a teenager, I've seen and photographed the 23 023 many times. In high school I even made super 8 movie about the SSN loks. That must have been around 1979. Good memories.

groeten,
Menno
As a Mokumer I've to speak 'funny' every time I visit SSN's depot ... :grin: