The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A border patrol officer from Finland

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
October XVI, 2008

I am hauling tons of gear from Ireland to Ontario, a SINAR medium format system a Olympus E3 sytem and way too much glas to meet with Michael Reichmann and go shooting together in Algonquin for five days.

I look a bit rough, no sleep, party last night, unshaved and on top a obsessive compulsive Know-it-all in my face asking me questions since 10 minutes....

Dublin Airport, the Air Canada security officer is asking questions since ages, it is getting to the point of slapstick situation and my patience is running out. He asks me why I am going to Canda, I answer to take photographs. He asks me what photographs, I answer that depends. He asks me whether I would have weapons in my bag, I answer yes of course... my cameras. He asks whether I would try to be smart, I answer that some people might think so. - He stomps on my nervs, around mid 20s and his bodylanguage and whole attitude speaks volumes, supressed sexlife, weekend alcoholic, control freak with a cap and a license. - He opens bags and looks at the Sinar like an idiot. What is that? ... A weapon, ahem, I mean a camera. Open your laptop please... sure, I open it and a picture of G.W. Bush appears in a Taliban outfit on a camel and other cartoons of GW, he looses it and starts laughing, finally let's me go in peace to catch my flight.

It is middle october and my first time in Canada, boy do I love it here! I am on my own in Niagara and do the tourist thing for two days. I walk on my own on the waterfront and a very beautiful Lady attracts my attention right away. We go for coffee and enjoy having company. Strange I think, out of nowhere you are hit over the head and find yourself sitting beside this amazing woman in Niagara. We had a great time together and I missed the bus and stayed longer than planed.

Tina is a border officer in the army in Finland since 12 years, patrolling the russian border with her huskies and a rifle all year long. Something more in common, I miss my dog, would love him to be here now. It is her 30s birthday and she treated herself to that trip alone to Canada. I take her for a helicopter ride, we have a great time in Niagara.

What an amazing woman, you would not guess her profession by meeting her. We are talking a lot about war and peace, ethics, photography, music, dogs, horses, well, the whole world I guess. She is very patriotic and lives with a deep conflict, she never wishes to kill anyone, but is aware that this could become reality for her.

The tourists around us fade into the background. I am in Canada.... Life is wonderful! I need to go to Finland soon.

Last edited:

Don Libby

Lets see, a beautiful woman and a rainbow too. My only question is what are you doing here? Why aren't you in Finland? Or is that coming in the next post?

Luck dog!