The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NSFW: How is this for a pose

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I apologize for posting this before finishing, and when I have time I will complete it, but today's model Sasha had some interesting poses.
This is one example.
View attachment 18948
-bob

R

Ranger 9

Re: How is this for a pose

Sheesh, half the girls I photograph want to do that pose (we've named it "the spider.") Apparently some big-name ballerina was photographed that way for a magazine or a calendar -- I haven't been able to track down the source image, but seems as if all the dancerettes have seen it. I'm attaching a shot of my friend Katrinka doing it as a gag.

Given that the basic concept of the pose is kind of well-known, I like what you've done with the heavy, moody lighting -- it makes it seem stronger and more serious. That, plus the fact that your model has more cleavage than the average ballet dancer, keeps it out of the realm of cliché -- it has an almost ominous look.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Well, it is kind of unique -- at least for right now!

;),

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Finished it up. Along came a spider

-bob

Last edited:
D

ddk

What's up with the clothing Bob? I thought that you preferred au natural like me!:thumbup:

I like the pose but the lighting isn't working for me on this one.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

What's up with the clothing Bob? I thought that you preferred au natural like me!:thumbup:

I like the pose but the lighting isn't working for me on this one.
I post nudes and nobody peeps,
So I post one with clothing and now you complain? sheesh!
Well, I thought I would try something different.

I have been playing lately with side and rim lighting, so that is how I was set up.
What lighting would you have preferred?

-bob

Last edited:
D

ddk

I post nudes and nobody peeps,
doesn't mean that we didn't look.

So I post one with clothing and now you complain? sheesh!
Well, I thought I would try something different.
As the caveman said: different, gooood, clothes no good :LOL:

I have been playing lately with side and rim lighting, so that is how I was set up.
-bob
Depending on the angle I was shooting her, I would go loop or have a fill if I was side lighting (edit) I'd lower the main and bring it down closer to her, maybe get some interesting shadows, she's a very unique model who can control her body too, would have been nice to see more of her...

just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
R

Ranger 9

What lighting would you have preferred?
I think the lighting you used is a great start -- it gives a terrific sense of sculptural mass and volume. (Mass and volume aren't always what young women want in their photos, but it looks as if this model is comfortable with displaying her own form of beauty.)

Since you mentioned rim lighting, I'd have wanted to try adding a hard rim light from the back diagonal on the side away from the main light. Just a skim of hard light would help separate the dark side of her figure from the background, and add some glints that would emphasize her musculature.

Of course that would mean you'd wind up with crazy shadows coming toward the camera, as in the example picture I've attached, but hey, if you're experimenting...

[The attachment is a poor scan of an old print, but I'm showing it as an example of me struggling with the same concept. Nancy was a sweet girl with a beautifully soft quality to her dancing -- but she also had broad shoulders, a strong back, and a tremendous level of determination, and I wanted to light her in a way that would respect all those qualities. So, the old soft-light-opposite-hard-light trick...]​

The way I see it, the picture you've made is all about contrasting ideas of strength. (Which sounds better than saying it's all about cleavage!) Classical dancing is supposed to look effortless, but making it look effortless requires a tremendous amount of hidden strength. By making that strength visible, you're unifying two contrasting concepts visually, which is almost always a cool idea for making photographs!

Incidentally, I'm glad you did NOT shoot this picture as a nude... that would have made the picture all about the nudity, and any other ideas would have gotten submerged in that...

D

ddk

Incidentally, I'm glad you did NOT shoot this picture as a nude... that would have made the picture all about the nudity, and any other ideas would have gotten submerged in that...
Care to explain why nudity would submerge ideas?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Well, this particular angle given her build, nude might have not looked as good.
I plan to shoot some implied of her later this summer.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

I think the lighting you used is a great start -- it gives a terrific sense of sculptural mass and volume. (Mass and volume aren't always what young women want in their photos, but it looks as if this model is comfortable with displaying her own form of beauty.)

The way I see it, the picture you've made is all about contrasting ideas of strength. (Which sounds better than saying it's all about cleavage!) Classical dancing is supposed to look effortless, but making it look effortless requires a tremendous amount of hidden strength. By making that strength visible, you're unifying two contrasting concepts visually, which is almost always a cool idea for making photographs!

It is interesting that lately more young women seem to be comfortable with displaying their musculature. Form and Mass may be getting more fashionable at least for the trim.
Here are two examples the models liked:

-bob

D

ddk

Well, this particular angle given her build, nude might have not looked as good.
I plan to shoot some implied of her later this summer.
You're not giving yourself enough credit Bob, I'm sure if you put your head to it you'll come up with some creative ways to shoot her without making it about T&A, if that's what you're worried about.

Looking forward to seeing more.

R

Ranger 9

Happy to. One view of information theory says that information consists essentially of surprises; if it only tells you what expected to hear, it isn't really information. (This is why image compression works, for example: you can drop out the pixels whose values can be predicted, and store just the ones whose values can't be predicted.)

Like every other kind of "data processor," the human perceptual apparatus has a limited bandwidth (supposedly about 40 bits per second, although what defines the brain's "bit" is debatable.)

We all know from experience, and lots of experiments, that when the mind's bandwidth is exceeded by too much information -- too much unexpected stuff, in other words -- it can't process all of it, and resorts to strategies for discarding some of it. In other words, it "drops packets," just like your computer network does when the lines are noisy.

Now, when it comes to looking at people, the fact is that the vast majority of the people we see the vast majority of the time are wearing clothes. (And for the vast majority of people, that's a darned good thing!)

So when you see a representation of someone who is not wearing clothes, it represents an unexpected event -- a piece of information.

Moreover, this particular piece of information has a lot of collateral implications: artistic, cultural, erotic, and even economic (remember how in old cartoons, somebody who had lost everything was represented as wearing a barrel instead of clothes?)

Parsing all these potential implications consumes a lot of mind bandwidth, so during this process a lot of other "packets" -- other aesthetic or cultural associations that might also be present -- are more likely to be dropped, or at least deferred.

That's why nudity works fine in certain photographic contexts for which our minds are already pre-calibrated for it: a Weston fine-art print, a Helmut Newton fashion shot, or a foldout in Playboy magazine, for example. Our response to the nudity aspect of these contexts is already, you might say, pre-compiled, so we can use our mind-bandwidth to enjoy the other aesthetic and intellectual aspects of the presentation.

When we get outside those well-defined contexts -- as I would argue Bob has done in his photo -- we're entering a realm of ambiguity.

That's good, because you're much more likely to find interesting stuff in the Realm of Ambiguity than in the Kingdom of the Frickin' Obvious, which (unfortunately) is where most photographs get made.

Still, there's no denying that ambiguity requires more of the mind's processing horsepower. Dump too much workload on it, and it's going to have to skip over some of the nuances. That's why nudity can submerge other aesthetic elements in an artwork, and why it can be a good choice to leave that element out of the equation. QED.

If that's not convincing enough for you, try this simple thought experiment: Imagine that President Obama has decided to have his official executive photo done as a full frontal nude. How much public-discussion bandwidth do you think would be consumed before people in general got around to such observations as, "Good Lord, his teeth look really yellow"...?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

I agree with Ranger 9's points. Thank you, by the way.
The somewhat obscure or visual surprise, the unexpected if you will, makes a better picture than the frank and obvious.
OTOH, if you look at a lot of street photography, there is often an element of the literal to the extreme. Most of those are not as interesting to me as the shots that excerpt or abstract the literal in some manner or introduce interesting juxtiposition of elements.
If our minds are forced to engage to process an image, it naturally draws our attention perhaps out of necessity.
-bob

D

ddk

Happy to. One view of information theory ...

...Still, there's no denying that ambiguity requires more of the mind's processing horsepower. Dump too much workload on it, and it's going to have to skip over some of the nuances. That's why nudity can submerge other aesthetic elements in an artwork, and why it can be a good choice to leave that element out of the equation. QED.
:sleep006: :sleep006: :sleep006:

Fortunately Eikoh Hosoe, Connie Imboden and many others never heard of your theories otherwise they would have never produced any work.

If that's not convincing enough for you, try this simple thought experiment: Imagine that President Obama has decided to have his official executive photo done as a full frontal nude. How much public-discussion bandwidth do you think would be consumed before people in general got around to such observations as, "Good Lord, his teeth look really yellow"...?
You forgot about Jesus, people don't dwell on his nudity, and isn't Obama the new Messiah? :toocool:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Did Jesus pose nude Eek
Never read that in scripture
-bob

R

Ranger 9

Fortunately Eikoh Hosoe, Connie Imboden and many others never heard of your theories otherwise they would have never produced any work.
That's why I was careful to say "can be" and "choice." And you'll notice that while the two photographers you mention certainly employ ambiguity in their work, they carefully control how much and what kind. That's what separates art from noise.

Repeat after me: "Read, then type. Read, then type. Read, then type..."

D

ddk

That's why I was careful to say "can be" and "choice." And you'll notice that while the two photographers you mention certainly employ ambiguity in their work, they carefully control how much and what kind. That's what separates art from noise.

Repeat after me: "Read, then type. Read, then type. Read, then type..."
LOL Ranger 9, its July 4th, too much typing and reading already. :salute: