The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gallery of Misfits

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
While waiting for my new MBP to fill up yesterday, I started playing around with Lightroom's web gallery feature. I started with the first images when I began shooting about a year ago, and made a quick collection of images that for one reason or another, I had sort of given up on.

After I had close to 50 of them, I went through them, and depending on the image, decided to take another whack at editing them in PSCS3 or tweaked them right in LR.

I discovered a couple of things. I realized that my comfort level with PS (and LR) has definitely improved within the last year. I'm much more able to judge what adjustments need to be made and more importantly, how I can make them with PS's arsenal. This represents progress for me and so I am encouraged.

The other was an observation about what seems to be a trend in terms of the things I like to capture. Based on these little images, I think I like to get close. So in terms of new lenses or equipment, it might be a good idea to go in that direction rather than say, opt for a 12mm.

Those mini-revelations were enough to make me think the process of collecting them was worthwhile.

The images are hardly "epic" in stature. Nor are they socially relevant in any meaningful way. But they represent a beginning and it's my pleasure and honor to share them with you. Please take a look and feel free to comment.

http://smithandpowers.com/photos/index.html

Thanks!
Tim

helenhill

`After a Looong Frantic day
I sat back and got lost in the vibe of your work
Loved every shot ......but one (the artsy blurred house was ok))
It brought a Smile and Peace of Mind back to my Head
Wonderful-:eek: Thanks ! Helen

Terry

I just sat down at something bigger than an iPhone screen to have a look at your tidbits I won't call them misfits. I really like the gallery. I like the shots getting close or the details of texture and form. Funny you should talk about longer rather than wider lenses. What I am really trying to work at is getting close but not with a long lens but with wide angle lenses.

I'm getting ready to go through your computer "loading" process but before that is the clean up....a good time to go through older shots.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Funny you should talk about longer rather than wider lenses. What I am really trying to work at is getting close but not with a long lens but with wide angle lenses.
Thanks!

I like the wide and close too. I just haven't been able to figure out how to do that with the rangefinder. For now I only have the 28. My thinking was that if I couldn't arrange for a lens that allowed closer focusing distances, I'd go the other way and let the lens bring things a bit tighter. But that may be flawed thinking since I don't have a good grasp of the full spectrum of lenses for the M8 yet.

Enjoy your computer transition, it's great to start fresh.

ecliffordsmith

Hi Tim,

Far from being misfits I was actually struck that despite the very varied subjects covered in your collection there was a certain consistent look to all of the images. I think the preference for up close focusing and the colour and composition are the main reasons for this.

It is a very nice collection of work.

You also seem to live in a very nice part of the world.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thank you Ed. I appreciate your kind words. And Maine can be a very nice place. It's only now, at this time of year when winter will not give up, that I question my choice of where to hang out.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I really enjoyed looking at your work, Tim. I have noticed in this gallery and your other postings that you are a really good photographer and have excellent post-processing skills as well.

If you are looking for a (fairly) inexpensive lens to try out long on, I might suggest that a pre-ASPH (55mm filter) 90 mm Cron is a wonderful lens. I think it is really one of the "sleeper" Leica lenses that are a bargain. It has a lot of the character of the 75 lux, but is lighter, smaller, cheaper. I think I saw one here for $700 recently. Mine is not very contrasty, but that can be added in post. Here is one of those "No more pictures, Grandma" shots.

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Cindy! Encouragement like yours is very welcome.

Wonderful shot of the boy. It's funny though, I have a strange mental block against the 90. It's completely irrational and not based on any recent experience. For whatever reason, I've set my mind on the 75mm focal length, maybe because of the sensor size of the M8.

Without any nearby camera store that would let me physically mount one of each and get a feeling for them, it's something of a gamble. And this forum only makes me want to have all of them! For instance, until you began talking about your 50 pre-asph, I never considered that focal length at all. Now... well it seems almost inevitable somehow.

One final thing... my recent trip during which I carried only the M8 and only the 28 cron, and further, found myself jealously guarding my battery and being extremely selective with shooting, has opened my eyes to how a simple approach like that can influence ones choices. For the time being at least, I intend to carry that a bit further before I go forth with another 15 lb. bag of kit. Maybe when I've tired of that approach you'll be ready to consider selling your 50 pre-asph again. ;)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
... Maybe when I've tired of that approach you'll be ready to consider selling your 50 pre-asph again. ;)
When Hell freezes over!:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

BTW, Tim, Guy did a real-world comparison of the 75's on here a while back. You might look that up. It is a tough one, because they are all good. For a while I had the 75 lux and 75 cron. I decided to keep only the lux. I'm in love with the Mandler look.

woodyspedden

When Hell freezes over!:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

BTW, Tim, Guy did a real-world comparison of the 75's on here a while back. You might look that up. It is a tough one, because they are all good. For a while I had the 75 lux and 75 cron. I decided to keep only the lux. I'm in love with the Mandler look.
Amen, which is why the 50 pre asph alongside the 75 lux creates some of the really Leica magic images. I admire the technology that allows the creation of the new asph lenses and would never argue the issues of sharpness, micro contrast etc. But when i look at the images that genuinely appeal to me it is almost always with the older generation lenses.

Guy did some really amazing work with the 75 lux when we were in Germany this summer so I was really surprised that he swapped out to the Cron. Particularly since he is really interested in the Zeiss ZF 85 for his D300 and keeps referring to the 80 Lux (R) as his reference look. No quarrels with his choices of course but I am really surprised he sold the 75 Lux. Would not be surprised to see him get another one of these first days. JMHO

Woody