The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1DsII converted to IR

Don Libby

I'm sitting attempting to be patient while waiting for the UPS truck to arrive with my newly converted camera from Precision Camera. Great sky outside and a call for isolated thunderstorms.

Will post images just as soon as I can.

Don

Don Libby

I've had the camera now for about an hour and want to share two images

Don

Last edited:

Don Libby

Went out earlier today to see what I could do with the "new" camera. What I've learned is that I now have to relearn post processing for IR. Here's a couple samples from today. I more than welcome any suggestions from thoses of you who are shooting IR converted cameras.

Don

Don Libby

This one is from tonights storm; still working on the PP however I found out my Lightning Trigger works just fine.

Don

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nice Don, looks like you are having a blast. Really nice mood in many of the shots.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
The second photo (cactus) in the second set is my favorite. It would be nice if we could start a "Having fun with IR" thread somewhere. I know there are people here shooting IR with Canon, Nikon, Panasonic G1, and P+S's.

Don Libby

Great idea Cindy I guess we could start the thread here in "Images to Share".

On another note I'm having problem finding what I think should be a good custom WB. I normally use a white card however everything I've read yesterday says to shoot grass for a WB - where do I find grass in the Southwest desert? Going to the nearest golf course and shoot their grass and will try that out

Don

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Don,
When I got my G1 IR back from Precision, there was already a custom WB preset. They must have used it for testing. I made another with grass, but ended up using their initial preset. You may already have one in the camera.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Don,
I had the 665nm conversion done. My WB shot looks more red. The original that Precision shot is less red than mine.

Don Libby

Thanks Cindy - just got off the phone with Mark Soares of Precision who helped walked me through the process. BTW I opted for the 665 as well.

Don

Don Libby

I goofed up so badly that the WB sent back with the camera is long gone. Mark was kind enough to walk me through the process (foliage manual focus and not in fucus) which I'll be doing shortly just as soon as I drive over to the golf course for green foliage. Mark said that's basically how they do theirs. I should have everything figured out later this morning then be able to work on the PP.

Don