The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about a more fun with IR thread?

Don Libby

Lisa - nice! I keep forgetting about this place.

These were from today - all with a 1DsII 24-105

Don

Leica 77

I've been doing IR for several years now, first with a normal Nikon D70 with filters, then with a converted D70, and recently with a converted D200. Two images from my recent trip to the Dolomites:

I personally don't care much for false-color IR photos - I'm a purist, I generally prefer to convert to B&W, and then give them a single-color tone that I think goes well with the atmosphere of the image.

Lisa
Hello Lisa,
This one is fantastic! Best regards, Leica 77 :)

eleanorbrown

I've really enjoyed seeing the variety of IR images on this new forum! I've been shooting IR all afternoon so thought I'd add a few. I use the 720 filter and convert everything into black and white. Lots of interesting weather in South Park Colorado today! Eleanor

Last edited:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Eleanor - very nice, Nice range of tones and it seems by shooting with the IR filter it adds a bit more drama than just a b/w conversion without shooting IR. I really like the images you posted on the converting/modifying IR thread as well.

Don Libby

Hi Eleanor,

Great images as always! I like number 1 and 2 and 5 however the image that sends me over the edge is the 4th. There's a sense of vastness and being alone in number 4 that could only be accomplished in black and white IR. Can't help but remember images of the great dust bowl with some of these.

Thanks for sharing

Don

eleanorbrown

thanks for all of your comments. As I said I've been really interested in the many ways to interpret IR shooting when looking at the images on this new forum. In some ways I wonder if I should have gone with the 665 filter instead of the 720. with the 720 sometimes the foliage is whiter with less detail that I would like and I think with the 665 you have a wider tonal range, even when you don't use any of the false color. However with the 720 I'm getting high contrast b&w...skies, weatherd wood, etc. which I like. Yesterday i took a few shots with my Phase back also, and the b&W converted images from the back don't have near the drama the IR images do.

What's the secret to getting your images to show full res in the message window. Mine just show as thumbs. Eleanor

eleanorbrown

Don the soft false color is really nice in image #1. Did you desaturate or is this how it comes from your 665 modified camera? You did get the 665 filter didn't you?? eleanor

Lisa - nice! I keep forgetting about this place.

These were from today - all with a 1DsII 24-105

Don

Don Libby

Hi Eleanor,

I had the 1DsII converted by Precision Camera using the 665 filter. I've always like the soft color and yet wanted to be able to convert to black and white as well.

The image you're referring to has no PP to it. I was fighting a hoard of bees and the best shot was actually more into the sunlight. I'm using the 24-105 lens that was also sent to Precision for the focus calibration of the body.

Thanks for asking

Don

I'm off to shoot some horses this afternoon as a trial for more IR.