The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about a more fun with IR thread?

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
What's the secret to getting your images to show full res in the message window. Mine just show as thumbs. Eleanor
Eleanor - when you link to the image as an attachment (using the "paper clip" as you have done) it appears as a thumbnail. If you first upload to your galllery here at GetDPI (everyone is entitled to gallery space) then you can link to it using the "Insert Image" icon (the yellow square with the mountain in it right under the undo/redo buttons). Once the image is in your gallery, copy the "Direct Link Code" which appears under the image in the gallery - this is essentially the URL for the image - click on the Inset Image icon and paste the URL for the image. This will also work if the images are hosted elsewhere and not on GetDPI.

eleanorbrown

OK, here's an IR image taken down the path from my house...cattails. the 720 doesn't give me much false color so I don't have a lot of different post processing choices......I'm going to see if I can include in my message. eleanor

eleanorbrown

Here's another IR taken yesterday at the Java Moose in Fairplay Colorado while we were getting lunch to take on down to the South Park wide open area where i got the weather shots yesterday. Eleanor

eleanorbrown

These shots show so well how the IR filters get wonderful detail in both highlights and deep shadows. love the sweeping tones in the dark mountains! Eleanor

This is a great example of why I like the 665 filter. Same shot just processed differently.

Don

Don Libby

Went to dinner at some friends of ours and decided to see what IR would look like on horses. Ended up converting them all to B&W, don't know if the color of the horse or because it was later in the afternoon.

Don Libby

viablex1

those are pretty cool, what does precision camera charge? Life pixel has gone way up and they like to "play" a lot with the camera before you get it back, my D300 was gone for weeks and had over 500 shots on it when I got it back...

cmb_

Thanks for the links Don.

More info - try swapping channels like this in PS:
Swapping Red and Blue Channel
In the Channels Tab - Select the Red Channel and Duplicate Channel (by default it will be named Red copy)
In the Channels Tab - Select the Blue Channel > then hit Select All > Copy > Now select the Red Channel in the Channels Tab and hit Paste (you are Copying the Blue Channel and Pasting it over the Red Channel)
In the Channels Tab - Select the Red copy Channel > then hit Select All > Copy
Now Select the Blue Channel in the Channels Tab and hit paste (you are copying the Red copy Channel and pasting it over the Blue Channel)
In the Channels Tab - delete the Red copy Channel

cmb_

In addition to swapping channels Invert color channels in LAB mode
Image > Mode > Lab color
In the Channels Tab select the channel you wish to invert (Lightness, a or, b) then hit cmd/Ctrl I - this will invert the channel you have selected
Try several ways:
Invert the a channel alone
Invert the b channel alone
Invert both the a and b channels

Click on the Lab channel to see the results or hit cmd/Crtl ~

Inverting the a, b, or a & b channels will turn the infrared red skies to blue (sometimes).

You can invert the lightness channel as well.

Don Libby

those are pretty cool, what does precision camera charge? Life pixel has gone way up and they like to "play" a lot with the camera before you get it back, my D300 was gone for weeks and had over 500 shots on it when I got it back...
viablex1 - Their normal fee for full frame was $299 however I got $45 off being a member of PPA. Overnight return shipping was less than $20. You should check with them as I heard they might be raising their prices soon.

Don

eleanorbrown

Don, how accurate did they calibrate your focusing for IR light? eleanor

viablex1 - Their normal fee for full frame was $299 however I got $45 off being a member of PPA. Overnight return shipping was less than $20. You should check with them as I heard they might be raising their prices soon.

Don

Don Libby

Don, how accurate did they calibrate your focusing for IR light? eleanor
Eleanor, I think they did a good job; please don't base that on the images of the horses as we just couldn't get them to stand still and pose.

Not the best of light and I didn't have a tripod with me so I did the best I could. Besides it was after dinner :)

Don

eleanorbrown

Loved the horse images. Recently I shot some photos of donkeys on the South Park Colorado wide open spaces with approaching storm with my IR camera. Had great fun with these friendly donkeys, but nothing, and I mean nothing, was in focus!! they would stick their noses right up to my camera....sniffed our dog, etc....it was hilarious..only wish the photos had been in sharper focus. OK for very small prints but that's all. eleanor

Eleanor, I think they did a good job; please don't base that on the images of the horses as we just couldn't get them to stand still and pose.

Not the best of light and I didn't have a tripod with me so I did the best I could. Besides it was after dinner :)

Don

Don Libby

I've got a lot of images from yesterday that has nose prints. I did find out I can shoot hand held in burst mode. Yesterday's exercise has me thinking of a new project.