Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a more fun with IR thread?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How about a more fun with IR thread?

Two 350D IR shots from an icy walk along the creek today. Both with the 50 EF 1.4.

New Growth

Icicles
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

wow that second one!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl, The two shots are both really wonderful. #2 is

Post Thanks / Like

Carl,

excellent IR photos.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you viablex1 and Cindy.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Carl,

excellent IR photos.
    Thank you Uwe. I'm enjoying your excellent IR California landscapes as well.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Beautiful, undulating hills. The sparse tree cover nicely accents this landscape.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The sun actually came out today so I took the 350D IR for a walk.

A 2x2 handheld stitched in CS4. False color IR.

Birches along trail.

Frozen stream
    Last edited by scho; 11th February 2010 at 13:09. Reason: typo
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I had my G1 converted to 715nm IR by Precision and just took it out for a trial run today. I'm not happy with the raw processing using LR (and ACR). Very difficult to control noise and LR/ACR cannot handle the custom WB in IR (2000K limit problem). I may switch to Aperture or C1 for processing these files.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl, The photos look really nice. I'll be interested to follow your findings on the processing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I had my G1 converted to 715nm IR by Precision and just took it out for a trial run today. I'm not happy with the raw processing using LR (and ACR). Very difficult to control noise and LR/ACR cannot handle the custom WB in IR (2000K limit problem). I may switch to Aperture or C1 for processing these files.

Like them all.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Cindy and Uwe. I'm very pleased with the conversion by Precision and it is really nice having the IR live view. First thing I need to do is tweak the in camera white balance (came back with a custom WB preset that I haven't modified), but it needs some adjustment.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl these look really nice. My modified GF1 arrives tomorrow and I look forward to learning how to do good IR work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl, Did you send in a lens with the camera to have the infinity focus verified? If so, the kit lens?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Carl these look really nice. My modified GF1 arrives tomorrow and I look forward to learning how to do good IR work.
    Thanks Terry. I'm sure you will enjoy the IR GF1 and Jack already has a nice workflow going with his GF1. I need to go back and read his thread on adjustments.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Carl, Did you send in a lens with the camera to have the infinity focus verified? If so, the kit lens?
    Yes, I told Mark what lenses I was primarily interested in using and he suggested sending along the 14-45 kit lens with the G1, which I did. I haven't used any of my other lenses yet, but I intend to check them all out to see which give the best performance.
    Carl
    Gallery

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well my GF1 IR camera came yesterday and I can see here in the desert that this thing will be something else. Yellow green take very heavily towards IR in plant life and this is a just a quick shot out the window when I picked up my son from school . That is a Palo Verde tree which are by the millions here in the desert and they are green/yellow with yellow blooms. Look how white they go with IR. I will spend the next week trying this out for the workshop and get processing down so Jack and I can go over it with attendees but I am pretty darn excited about it and this is a straight jpeg
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well my GF1 IR camera came yesterday and I can see here in the desert that this thing will be something else. Yellow green take very heavily towards IR in plant life and this is a just a quick shot out the window when I picked up my son from school . That is a Palo Verde tree which are by the millions here in the desert and they are green/yellow with yellow blooms. Look how white they go with IR. I will spend the next week trying this out for the workshop and get processing down so Jack and I can go over it with attendees but I am pretty darn excited about it and this is a straight jpeg
    Looks great Guy. Did you use a custom white balance? I started playing around with different legacy lenses on my G1 IR today and noticed that there are noticeable differences in exposure and color balance with different lenses using the same in camera WB setting. Guess the lens coatings could have a significant effect on IR transmission.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Initial WB is indeed critical, and why I suggest a fixed WB until you get everything sorted out. The amount of color present changes dramatically with the amount of IR present, but at least in my case, the tones remain consistent throughout.

Got out again this morning and grabbed a few more. These are in-camera jpegs then tweaked in CS for the partial monochrome toning effect. The in-cam jpegs show less total color than the raws processed out to tiffs, so adjust differently in CS. I'm still playing with it all to figure it out.

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Looks great Guy. Did you use a custom white balance? I started playing around with different legacy lenses on my G1 IR today and noticed that there are noticeable differences in exposure and color balance with different lenses using the same in camera WB setting. Guess the lens coatings could have a significant effect on IR transmission.
    No it is what precision calibrated it for which in C1 the raws are 2550 kelvin with minus -40 tint. So that is what the camera WB is set at right now. Which from there I can play around quite a bit with the raw and this is something I need to figure out as well. Yes i would agree on different legacy glass having different effects for sure , some maybe coated and some may not plus each manufacturer uses different coatings as well. So we will have variables.

What this will come down to is maybe less scientific processing but more process to taste. So suggestion is make sure your system is calibrated with monitor and such. This is going to come down to the naked eye and the artist impression of what they feel has the nicest effect for a given image. I think we can have great starting points to figure out than let your eye take over.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is one of the above images -- the jpeg -- converted to false color. I am finding for IR the in-camera jpegs (at least these GF1 jpegs) make for simpler processing in many ways compared to the raws, without much discernible loss in IQ...

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the false color with the deep sky and just a hint on color I. The rest of the shot. Subtle but there.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

No it is what precision calibrated it for which in C1 the raws are 2550 kelvin with minus -40 tint. So that is what the camera WB is set at right now. Which from there I can play around quite a bit with the raw and this is something I need to figure out as well. Yes i would agree on different legacy glass having different effects for sure , some maybe coated and some may not plus each manufacturer uses different coatings as well. So we will have variables.

What this will come down to is maybe less scientific processing but more process to taste. So suggestion is make sure your system is calibrated with monitor and such. This is going to come down to the naked eye and the artist impression of what they feel has the nicest effect for a given image. I think we can have great starting points to figure out than let your eye take over.
    Good advice Guy. I think you are right about starting from a known fixed WB and just seeing what effects seem most appealing.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy - Welcome to the wonderful world of IR; sit back and enjoy the ride, you're in for a heck of a ride bud!

Jack is right regarding the need for a proper WB. I had used the one that came with the camera that Precision set before I screwed up and lost it; then after talking to them we found that since I shoot mainly in the desert I needed to set it more for that area and went in search of a patch of green. I redid the WB and the rest is history.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heading out now to go play.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I like the false color with the deep sky and just a hint on color I. The rest of the shot. Subtle but there.
    Thanks Terry,

I have worked up an set of IR actions for CS and will give them to you when we're together at Salton Sea next week. In it, I have 6 B&W toning conversions and a false color action. They build all the layers you need to easily manipulate the output to your tastes.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Guy - Welcome to the wonderful world of IR; sit back and enjoy the ride, you're in for a heck of a ride bud!

Jack is right regarding the need for a proper WB. I had used the one that came with the camera that Precision set before I screwed up and lost it; then after talking to them we found that since I shoot mainly in the desert I needed to set it more for that area and went in search of a patch of green. I redid the WB and the rest is history.

Don
    Agreed. Personally, I find that using a brighter yellow-green over a darker cyan-greenproduces the best in-camera WB...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well the desert stuff is really pretty amazing with IR . Shot mostly with the 7-14 at ISO 100 this morning the Saguaro is with the 20mm. I processed in C1 with some styles than some without . I'm really just playing around at the moment and used Jack's warming B&W action which I like but anyway here are three shots and going through some more stuff. I was also out to see what happens to color and it's effects in IR and that is really interesting to see what it does.

This is the 20mm with the warming effect

This is just B&W

This one is interesting I used a style in C1 than a warming effect

Now my style for IR maybe different than others I'm after the drama more than the subtle look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay these are straight jpegs from camera .

Warming effect on the first one added noise and sharpened for more noisy look

This one don't ask i went crazy.I'm playing. LOL

This is a straight false color of Jacks action than a little more contrast with adjustment curve . Now this is pretty cool. I should mention I am wearing a black fleece jacket

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Well the desert stuff is really pretty amazing with IR . Shot mostly with the 7-14 at ISO 100 this morning the Saguaro is with the 20mm. I processed in C1 with some styles than some without . I'm really just playing around at the moment and used Jack's warming B&W action which I like but anyway here are three shots and going through some more stuff. I was also out to see what happens to color and it's effects in IR and that is really interesting to see what it does.

This is the 20mm with the warming effect

This is just B&W

This one is interesting I used a style in C1 than a warming effect

Now my style for IR maybe different than others I'm after the drama more than the subtle look.
    Very nice shots Guy. I really like the contrast between the cactus and sky in the last one and the color is just right.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks and going back looking to see if I am clipping and it is only very very slight that I am. Which is strange because it looks like I am. One issue here is even though very early in morning I get a lot of contrast going on. Now I enhanced it some also but look at the straight jpeg out of camera which is pretty darn good

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

]

This is a straight false color of Jacks action than a little more contrast with adjustment curve . Now this is pretty cool. I should mention I am wearing a black fleece jacket

Wayyyy cool!!!
    Jack

Msoares

Wow, i am loving the images on this thread!!!
    You know, we're in the shop converting these cameras and sure we have fun calibrating them and looking at test charts all day, but you folks are using them to create stunning images. Well done! - i'm going to share these with the technicians here so they can see how the converted cameras are being put to use.
    That GF1 is one heck of a hotrod IR camera ain't it?

Mark Soares
    Senior Strategic Markets Manager
    Precision Camera & Video Repair

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Some more false color IR from the G1. The hemlocks give some IR effect and the ice turns glacial blue.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Msoares View Post
    Wow, i am loving the images on this thread!!!
    You know, we're in the shop converting these cameras and sure we have fun calibrating them and looking at test charts all day, but you folks are using them to create stunning images. Well done! - i'm going to share these with the technicians here so they can see how the converted cameras are being put to use.

Mark Soares
    Thanks Mark for you guy's putting these together. I am having a ball with it. BTW we will have 4 GF1 IR camera's on the Salton Sea workshop starting the 28th so please let the technicians know a bunch of images will be up for them to enjoy there hard work. Thanks Again Jack and Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Msoares View Post

Mark Soares
    It sure as heck is!!!

Here are a few false color images. I'm hopefully zeroing in a viable and repeatable workflow using some CS conversion actions I built:

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look good Jack and been working with your action on false colors than going in and making some minor adjustments given the image. Whats amazing is pretty much any warm tone like red, yellow go to the white side and just a different way of seeing. This is a very yellow scene in the front part of the building and red on the last part. Now all these are false color and I'm playing pretty much to find what I think looks interesting . Not necessarily correct either since it's all wrong anyway it is fun to get in and play around. Some you may not like for sure and this is really my first day playing with this. So I'm just warming up.

Red cactus anyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What is interesting is taking that shot with false color than adding a warm B&W effect. I am leaning this way for a lot of shots

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

from me as well. Fabulous, Guy!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That pink cactus (not really red) also makes an interesting subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My one problem I noticed today is the 7-14mm is I am getting a hot spot at 7mm if I back off to 9mm than that tends to go away. So next round i have to keep this in mind. The 20mm is just awesome with IR also. I only have 2 lenses the 7-14 and 20mm so need to figure out something longer when i have a few extra dollars. I put too much money in my real kit the MF system but this is just a blast to work with

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    That pink cactus (not really red) also makes an interesting subject.
    Yea too bad Valentines day has passed.

have to say this is just flat out fun to play with. Brought some joy to this old dog today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    from me as well. Fabulous, Guy!
    This maybe my favorite one today

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Broken Dreams

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure if I have shown these here before..

A froglet (just out of the tadpole stage) on a leaf:

Nikon D80-IR, A 28mm T/S lens.

A Swan

Nikon D80-IR, 18-55 kitzoom.

A Butterfly on bramble.

Nikon D80-IR, 70-300 zoom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek, the frog is way cool! The swan looks like she's ready to attack you
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Jack. The Swan was less than two feet from me and was hissing, ready to strike. I held my nerve long enough to snap the picture and move away.

Here is a sunset picture (sort of ) from Rotterdam.

Nikon D80-IR, 14-24 zoom at 14mm.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek,
    Love the froglet shot.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Carl. I love the basket shot of yours (onions and garlic). Such clarity- simple and elegant.

A light boy during a film shoot.

D80-IR, 200/3.5 AF Nikkor

I don't have the D80-IR anymore and I just use a modified E-410 for experiments. Once I finally finish converting my G1 for UV and IR, it is going to be real fun. Liveview changed everything, especially for UV and IR.