The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about a more fun with IR thread?

Douglas Benton

I always loved shooting IR film. I've thought about converting an older digital camera. this thread might have just pushed me a little closer.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Douglas, I really like every one of your film IR photos. (I've never given film IR a shot.) I'm so glad you contributed to this thread. It has been slow going lately. If I had to pick a favorite from yours, I would pick the old gas station. That is a wonderful find and well taken.

Douglas Benton

Thanks Cindy,
It's been a while since I've shot it as well. I usually tried to shoot it when there wasn't a lot of green stuff around. I wasn't really looking for the glowing trees and grass, but I loved the look and feel of the film.

Don Libby

Douglas – I’m in total agreement with Cindy simple great images and the gas station is right up there. I remember first experimenting with IR film in the late 60’s and getting excellent fog as I kept loading the film incorrectly.:ROTFL:

Don

scho

False color IR from a 715nm converted Canon 350D. I used to do a lot of IR photography and just renewing my interest. The 350d was converted back in 2005 by maxmax and I just sent it back to them for cleaning last week. Some earlier work here.

scho

Carl, Beautiful--the sky is just stunning.
Thank you Cindy. Are you still shooting IR with your modified G1? I was going to convert my G1, but as long as the little Canon keeps working I'll just keep using it for IR. Just had to send it in recently for cleaning and sensor glass replacement (started growing fungus under the glass). Back now and working fine again.

Regards,
Carl

Diane B

Nice Carl. I need to get my 10D IR out again. I had mine done by Lifepixel and chose their 'standard' conversion, but I've been happy with it--just haven't shot with it in a good long while.

Diane

scho

Nice Carl. I need to get my 10D IR out again. I had mine done by Lifepixel and chose their 'standard' conversion, but I've been happy with it--just haven't shot with it in a good long while.

Diane
Thanks Diane, look forward to seeing some more of your IR work. I hadn't used mine for quite awhile until late last summer and now that it is fixed I'll use it more often. Also a standard 715 nm filter, but capable of false color work as well as nice B&W. I really like the clarity and crisp detail one gets with IR and the absence of an AA filter over the sensor.

Regards,
Carl

scho

Couple of recent indoor IR shots with the 715nm Canon 350D.

False Color Orchids:

Onions & Garlic:

The latter image was processed in LR with a custom dng camera profile and then split toned with a warm/neutral preset.

Don Libby

Carl – lovely images! I’ll admit to liking the composition and general tone of the basket the best.

Don

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thank you Cindy. Are you still shooting IR with your modified G1? I was going to convert my G1, but as long as the little Canon keeps working I'll just keep using it for IR. Just had to send it in recently for cleaning and sensor glass replacement (started growing fungus under the glass). Back now and working fine again.

Regards,
Carl
Carl,
I let the G1 go. I have an M8, so I do IR with it. I'm not finding it as satisfying as using the G1 IR. I'm watching the results of Jack's GF1 conversion...maybe I'll get another G1-- or GF1 converted.
I'm not a big fan of false color, so the basket of onions and garlic is my favorite, too. It looks like you are back in business with your Canon IR. Enjoy!...and I'll enjoy the posts.

scho

Thank you Don and Cindy. I agree that I'm also more partial to monochrome IR than false color. The M8 is certainly one of the more capable cameras for IR work without conversion and I enjoyed using mine for that purpose when I had it.

scho

Winter myrtle growing at the base of an old silver maple. One of the few plants around with green leaves. Two image stitch from the Canon 350D IR (715nm).

Some snowmen in the local park. False color processing.