The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about a more fun with IR thread?

scho

Two 350D IR shots from an icy walk along the creek today. Both with the 50 EF 1.4.

New Growth

Icicles

scho

The sun actually came out today so I took the 350D IR for a walk.

A 2x2 handheld stitched in CS4. False color IR.

Birches along trail.

Frozen stream

Last edited:

scho

I had my G1 converted to 715nm IR by Precision and just took it out for a trial run today. I'm not happy with the raw processing using LR (and ACR). Very difficult to control noise and LR/ACR cannot handle the custom WB in IR (2000K limit problem). I may switch to Aperture or C1 for processing these files.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I had my G1 converted to 715nm IR by Precision and just took it out for a trial run today. I'm not happy with the raw processing using LR (and ACR). Very difficult to control noise and LR/ACR cannot handle the custom WB in IR (2000K limit problem). I may switch to Aperture or C1 for processing these files.

Like them all.

scho

Thank you Cindy and Uwe. I'm very pleased with the conversion by Precision and it is really nice having the IR live view. First thing I need to do is tweak the in camera white balance (came back with a custom WB preset that I haven't modified), but it needs some adjustment.

Terry

Carl these look really nice. My modified GF1 arrives tomorrow and I look forward to learning how to do good IR work.

scho

Carl these look really nice. My modified GF1 arrives tomorrow and I look forward to learning how to do good IR work.
Thanks Terry. I'm sure you will enjoy the IR GF1 and Jack already has a nice workflow going with his GF1. I need to go back and read his thread on adjustments.

scho

Carl, Did you send in a lens with the camera to have the infinity focus verified? If so, the kit lens?
Yes, I told Mark what lenses I was primarily interested in using and he suggested sending along the 14-45 kit lens with the G1, which I did. I haven't used any of my other lenses yet, but I intend to check them all out to see which give the best performance.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well my GF1 IR camera came yesterday and I can see here in the desert that this thing will be something else. Yellow green take very heavily towards IR in plant life and this is a just a quick shot out the window when I picked up my son from school . That is a Palo Verde tree which are by the millions here in the desert and they are green/yellow with yellow blooms. Look how white they go with IR. I will spend the next week trying this out for the workshop and get processing down so Jack and I can go over it with attendees but I am pretty darn excited about it and this is a straight jpeg

scho

Well my GF1 IR camera came yesterday and I can see here in the desert that this thing will be something else. Yellow green take very heavily towards IR in plant life and this is a just a quick shot out the window when I picked up my son from school . That is a Palo Verde tree which are by the millions here in the desert and they are green/yellow with yellow blooms. Look how white they go with IR. I will spend the next week trying this out for the workshop and get processing down so Jack and I can go over it with attendees but I am pretty darn excited about it and this is a straight jpeg
Looks great Guy. Did you use a custom white balance? I started playing around with different legacy lenses on my G1 IR today and noticed that there are noticeable differences in exposure and color balance with different lenses using the same in camera WB setting. Guess the lens coatings could have a significant effect on IR transmission.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Initial WB is indeed critical, and why I suggest a fixed WB until you get everything sorted out. The amount of color present changes dramatically with the amount of IR present, but at least in my case, the tones remain consistent throughout.

Got out again this morning and grabbed a few more. These are in-camera jpegs then tweaked in CS for the partial monochrome toning effect. The in-cam jpegs show less total color than the raws processed out to tiffs, so adjust differently in CS. I'm still playing with it all to figure it out.