The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Serious SPAM problem on new B&S forum

sjg284

Posted a WTB ad and received 4 messages.
1 from legit seller / 3 from non-legit, verging on bot-like mails to entrap people into sending money.

Two don't even mention the item. One is exact character-for-character copy of my ads subject. None mention any specifics of item, nor a price.. and all have terribly awkward english.

It feels like our small little friendly community has been invaded..

###### MESSAGE 1

Hello My Friend,

My name is MASSIMILIANO just want to brief you that i have the above subject in good working condition, Are you still interested?let me know thanks

Reply to: MASSIMILIANO, [email protected]

######

###### MESSAGE 2

Hello,Good day

Hope You are doing fine? are you still interested in buying the above
Subject,if Yes As soon as i hear from you,i will email you some pics
and details Good price is accepted and let me know your best
offer,Thanks and Hope to hear from you soon

Greeting From Spain

Reply to: Juan Carlos, [email protected]

######
MESSAGE 3

I have a nice

Leica M 35mm Summilux Asph (non-FLE)

if you are still looking,

email me at lopezohofhenke@gmail

to send you details and pictures

please when emailing me, put the subject

Leica M 35mm Summilux Asph (non-FLE)

Reply to: lopez, [email protected]

######

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, we have had some difficulty fighting off spambots.
I have posted a notice awhile back for sellers to beware of these kinds of emails, but too often they hit before we have a chance to ban them.
I am working on ways to reduce this or provide better indication to the receiver as to who the responder is, but it is taking more time than I anticipated.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
-bob

sjg284

Thanks Bob.
It may be worth re-posting in the Notices section @ top of forums menu, or at least at the top of the Browse Ads page once you are in Buy & Sell section.

The classifieds here had always been such a friendly place, I'd hate to see people getting scammed because they don't have their guard up the same way they may @ eBay, RFF, FM, etc.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Bob.
It may be worth re-posting in the Notices section @ top of forums menu, or at least at the top of the Browse Ads page once you are in Buy & Sell section.

The classifieds here had always been such a friendly place, I'd hate to see people getting scammed because they don't have their guard up the same way they may @ eBay, RFF, FM, etc.
Oh, this is nothing new really, it just used to be via PM. We would get pretty frequent complaints. What is new is that there seem to be some better 'bots around now.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I added a refinement to the classified's ad response emails.
The response now contains a link to the User's getDPI profile so that you may easily research the responder.
-bob