The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's happened to the Classifieds?

sagar

Guy I would agree if that would have been the case. But from what I have seen, Forum like this, Fred Miranda target a specific audience who along with liking photography, also like to switch systems more often than usual and love gear switching as much as photography.

For a minute think from a member prospective. Lets assume a member is very active here and decides to buy or sell something. Since current format is not working he/she has to go somewhere else. If he is new in that somewhere else, first he/she has to do, is build a reputation to add posts, respond and be active member in the new community. In the process becomes part of that community starting feeling it "home". Eventually loosing touch and activity on an old community (GetDPI).

Why people like B&S and are asking it here again and again is because, it gives a feeling like exchanging items within virtual friends who know each others' internet personas. Lack of B&S and those transaction essentially causes loosing that sense of "being part of the community"

Again its none of my business but as a former forum owner and admin, I feel it bad that such a thriving community is slowing down for such an avoidable cause.

These are not my decisions anymore but as a former owner I am sadden to see folks participation on the forum is based on a the Buy and Sell section. I find that very disheartening as i thought we as a forum are beyond buying and selling but being a artist and learning your craft. This comes from someone who buys and sells more than anyone and i am still here participating. Now pardon my comment here but I find that pretty shallow on folks participation. But folks are free to do what you want but I thought this was you home away from home kind of place. Maybe Im just naive and you just want to unload your **** for free.

f8orbust

Thanks GetDPI.

In terms of helping reduce the burden of moderation, perhaps you could:

a) Allow posters in the B&S section to edit their posts indefinitely; and,
b) Allow the creator of a thread in the B&S section to delete it.

This is how LuLa works, and it seems to keep moderation to pretty much zero (in the B&S section) as members have the tools to sort out any issues for themselves.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
They can't separate the Buy and Sell from the regular forum since it is actually part if the forum. Unlimited editing creates real issues in the threads. Not going to get into why as that's involved but I'm pretty sure it can't be a separate section. Bob has a better answer for that side of the house but in the past I know it could not be done.

kdphotography

My .02 of input:

1. If possible, place a permanent "Paypal link" on the B&S page where users place their B&S ads----so they can easily make a voluntary contribution in support of the GetDPI family. Suggested donations might be $1 to $10. Because of the unique nature of the GetDPI forum, you might be surprised how well voluntary contributions in the B&S section work. :)

2. Dedicate the B&S forum and call it "Guy Mancuso's World Famous B&S Extravaganza." Ok, maybe not.... :ROTFL:

:) ken

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks GetDPI.

In terms of helping reduce the burden of moderation, perhaps you could:

a) Allow posters in the B&S section to edit their posts indefinitely; and,
b) Allow the creator of a thread in the B&S section to delete it.

This is how LuLa works, and it seems to keep moderation to pretty much zero (in the B&S section) as members have the tools to sort out any issues for themselves.
We have seen a few cases of fraud that ended with the editing or deletion of an ad thread.
It makes it more difficult for those seeking relief from paypal to document their claim.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The policy and limitation of the software actually protects members in many ways. You just have to trust us this is the way it should be.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Well, all I can say is that I have neither bought nor sold anything using the recent (relatively) Classified section. I only saw today that the old B/S forum has been restored, and (for me) that's a plus. Cheers, KL