Site Sponsors

Thread: What's happened to the Classifieds?

Post Thanks / Like

What's happened to the Classifieds?

Hi,
    I haven't visited here for ages, and I was aware there was to be some shift in the Classifieds platform, but there seem to be only 50 or so ads.
    Am I missing something?
    Wollom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: What's happened to the Classifieds?

The new system hides ads after their expiration, currently either 2 or 4 weeks.
    The actual rate of new ads is about two per day which is similar to what it used to be, however the activity seems a lot lower since we no longer permit comments and "bumps".
    thanks
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    The new system hides ads after their expiration, currently either 2 or 4 weeks.
    The actual rate of new ads is about two per day which is similar to what it used to be, however the activity seems a lot lower since we no longer permit comments and "bumps".
    thanks
    -bob
    Thanks Bob,
    I guess it keeps things simple. I kind of liked the old format where old Ads could be used as a price reference, or to get a sense of how likely it would be to find an item, or an impression of a seller's activity and responsiveness.
    Best Wollom
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wollom View Post
    Thanks Bob,
    I guess it keeps things simple. I kind of liked the old format where old Ads could be used as a price reference, or to get a sense of how likely it would be to find an item, or an impression of a seller's activity and responsiveness.
    Best Wollom
    Interestingly, while visiting the b/s forum used to be a daily exercise for me, I've been there only once or twice since the new format was introduced. Saves me money I guess
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This site use to be fun to visit as there was a lot of fun informative exchanges but since the "for sale" section change I've noticed a significant drop in activity. The regulars are still here but it is not nearly as fun a site as it use to be. The Fred Miranda has a fee base structure for B&S and is very successful so what's wrong with their model and why was it not implemented here?
    Let the arrows fly!

Mr.Gale
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You also cannot post a WTB ad without paying for it. I think that discourages searchers as well.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

please let's have the old B&S back.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah I hardly come here anymore since the format changed. bummer...

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. The new B&S section has killed off a majority of getdpis activity for good. The ship is sinking folks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marketing is a wonderful thing, some people better off sticking to what they know and let others handle what they don't know. Site traffic is the building block to sustainability!

Post Thanks / Like

Agree haven't been here much since the B&S was shut down. The new classified site is terrible, no searchable history for price data. I'll be spending more time at FM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just had a deal with a new member but it looks like I am not getting the lenses I paid for. Claim has been submitted to Paypal. Now, I can't find the ad. It was either deleted by seller or removed by moderator. Any way to show old ads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This used to be one of the best places on the net to buy and sell gear. It was a great place to see what was out there and tempt a person to try different systems ... sometimes altering one's approach in a very positive way.

There's no amount of spin that one can provide to say that the changes are for the better. In its current form, the B&S section is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I saved up some cash and now the ad I'm looking for is gone.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Im not going to defend it but I just got a 179 bill from ebay and its now 10 percent of final price. Sorry but this is dirt cheap and ebay can bend over and kiss its own ***. Im done and out with it. Yea I'm pissed
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Its so sad and painful to see a flourishing B&S forum which was helping the community growth too going dead so quickly.

Sadder part seems to be even after numbers members requests to bring back old B&S even with simple paid subscription model like Fred Miranda, Pentax Forums etc. no one among admins/owners seem to be in a mood to listen to the "voice"

I know end of the day its owners decision, but I am sure owners do want to grow this place like before

Post Thanks / Like

true and true. come on guys, let's bring back the old b&s. I'm sure the senior members will donate. even that's a small portion of the population, it'll probably still be better than what you are taking in today

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are not my decisions anymore but as a former owner I am sadden to see folks participation on the forum is based on a the Buy and Sell section. I find that very disheartening as i thought we as a forum are beyond buying and selling but being a artist and learning your craft. This comes from someone who buys and sells more than anyone and i am still here participating. Now pardon my comment here but I find that pretty shallow on folks participation. But folks are free to do what you want but I thought this was you home away from home kind of place. Maybe Im just naive and you just want to unload your **** for free.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy - I think the point is that the B&S section added to the rich tapestry of the site and if nothing else was a great place to feel the pulse of what people were buying and selling, not to mention the occasional tempting tidbit that you didn't realize that you wanted/needed/had to have

The current B&S section ages out all old content which kills it as a useful place to gauge pricing and opportunities to pick up items that maybe didn't sell when first listed. I know that I've bought many items from folks months after they'd originally listed them and both parties benefited from that.

I would agree that coming to GetDPI only for the B&S section would be pretty shallow. However, if that's what it took to have people come by and then subsequently contribute elsewhere to the fora then surely that's a good thing no?

I agree with the other comments about fee based B&S - you pay, you can sell and/or respond. The fredmiranda model seems to work very well IMHO.

$0.02.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Guy
    It's a holistic thing - and the B&S contributed to this in a good way - the new version seems only commercial (and whereas a punt with the old system if you live in Europe was worth a try, but it isn't worth paying for if you aren't going to sell it). Added to which the banter around it was a positive thing.

. . . . Let's apply Occam's razor; there isn't a positive note about the new B&S in this thread. . . . . . . not one . . . . need I say more?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Guy I would agree if that would have been the case. But from what I have seen, Forum like this, Fred Miranda target a specific audience who along with liking photography, also like to switch systems more often than usual and love gear switching as much as photography.

For a minute think from a member prospective. Lets assume a member is very active here and decides to buy or sell something. Since current format is not working he/she has to go somewhere else. If he is new in that somewhere else, first he/she has to do, is build a reputation to add posts, respond and be active member in the new community. In the process becomes part of that community starting feeling it "home". Eventually loosing touch and activity on an old community (GetDPI).

Why people like B&S and are asking it here again and again is because, it gives a feeling like exchanging items within virtual friends who know each others' internet personas. Lack of B&S and those transaction essentially causes loosing that sense of "being part of the community"

Again its none of my business but as a former forum owner and admin, I feel it bad that such a thriving community is slowing down for such an avoidable cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    These are not my decisions anymore but as a former owner I am sadden to see folks participation on the forum is based on a the Buy and Sell section. I find that very disheartening as i thought we as a forum are beyond buying and selling but being a artist and learning your craft. This comes from someone who buys and sells more than anyone and i am still here participating. Now pardon my comment here but I find that pretty shallow on folks participation. But folks are free to do what you want but I thought this was you home away from home kind of place. Maybe Im just naive and you just want to unload your **** for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The old format will return.
    -bob

err it has returned
    www.getdpi.com
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    The old format will return.
    -bob

err it has returned
    Yahoo!

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great. Now we can complain about that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Bob!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks GetDPI.

In terms of helping reduce the burden of moderation, perhaps you could:

a) Allow posters in the B&S section to edit their posts indefinitely; and,
    b) Allow the creator of a thread in the B&S section to delete it.

This is how LuLa works, and it seems to keep moderation to pretty much zero (in the B&S section) as members have the tools to sort out any issues for themselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They can't separate the Buy and Sell from the regular forum since it is actually part if the forum. Unlimited editing creates real issues in the threads. Not going to get into why as that's involved but I'm pretty sure it can't be a separate section. Bob has a better answer for that side of the house but in the past I know it could not be done.

Post Thanks / Like

My .02 of input:

1. If possible, place a permanent "Paypal link" on the B&S page where users place their B&S ads----so they can easily make a voluntary contribution in support of the GetDPI family. Suggested donations might be $1 to $10. Because of the unique nature of the GetDPI forum, you might be surprised how well voluntary contributions in the B&S section work.

2. Dedicate the B&S forum and call it "Guy Mancuso's World Famous B&S Extravaganza." Ok, maybe not....

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    Thanks GetDPI.

In terms of helping reduce the burden of moderation, perhaps you could:

a) Allow posters in the B&S section to edit their posts indefinitely; and,
    b) Allow the creator of a thread in the B&S section to delete it.

This is how LuLa works, and it seems to keep moderation to pretty much zero (in the B&S section) as members have the tools to sort out any issues for themselves.
    We have seen a few cases of fraud that ended with the editing or deletion of an ad thread.
    It makes it more difficult for those seeking relief from paypal to document their claim.
    -bob
    www.getdpi.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The policy and limitation of the software actually protects members in many ways. You just have to trust us this is the way it should be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Great. Now we can complain about that.
    LOL
    I am sure that will be forthcoming.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Well, all I can say is that I have neither bought nor sold anything using the recent (relatively) Classified section. I only saw today that the old B/S forum has been restored, and (for me) that's a plus. Cheers, KL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just be careful folks thats all i am going to say . Free sometimes equals trouble. Caveat Emptor

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I wrote on the thank you thread:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/589160-post41.html

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One word:

Ok, and caveat emptor ...