The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Negative Feedback and Lesson Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdphoto

I think it's safe to say that we all have reasonable hopes and expectations in regards to transactions on this forum. I'm just not sure airing them in this manner in an open forum with this extent of vitriol is reasonable either. Then it just becomes like all the other forums.

Last edited:

MCTuomey

I think it's safe to say that we all have reasonable hopes and expectations in regards to transactions on this forum. I'm just not sure airing them in this manner in an open forum with this extent of vitriol is reasonable either. Then it just becomes like all the other forums.
Hopes and expectations in regard to transactions aren't being aired. One member's actual experience is being shared, however.

Airing one's experience with another member in a gear transaction is helpful to me, enabling a more informed choice of members with whom I'd want to deal. I don't see any issue with the subject or tone of the OP, the latter judgment being subjective of course. Backing out of an agreed deal is bad form, whatever the details. What should have occurred? The buyer should have bought the lens, as agreed. Having found a lens more to his liking, he should have put the newly purchased, less preferred lens up for sale himself, and bought the preferred lens. Simple. Straight-forward. Good to one's word. Didn't happen. Glad I know.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
On a trading desk, where deals worth hundreds of millions of dollars happen regularly, the moment someone says "Done", the deal is binding. That's why trading desk lines are recorded.

Anything else is dishonest.

--Matt (Yes, I was an options trader)
Exactly. Integrity is everything.

Graham (who designed and built options/derivatives trader workstations and feeds :) )

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Personally, I think that if you make a verbal/email/chat deal with someone then you should have the personal integrity to see it through unless there's some unforeseen reason why you couldn't complete the deal such as a change of real circumstances or so (damn you, Mr. Tax Man!!). Just because you found a slightly better deal elsewhere after closing the deal shouldn't be a justifiable reason for breaking the trust of a deal IMHO.

But hey, I guess I'm old school and like to sleep well at night.

tomh

Personally, I think that if you make a verbal/email/chat deal with someone then you should have the personal integrity to see it through unless there's some unforeseen reason why you couldn't complete the deal such as a change of real circumstances or so (damn you, Mr. Tax Man!!). Just because you found a slightly better deal elsewhere after closing the deal shouldn't be a justifiable reason for breaking the trust of a deal IMHO.

But hey, I guess I'm old school and like to sleep well at night.
I completely agree. It is refreshing to find folks actively supporting personal integrity.

The internet takes away face-to-face interaction. Some hide behind anonymity to engage in practices that would not fly in direct interaction.

Each time this happens it chips away at bonds which hold a group together. It is good for the community to bring attention to those not living up to the social contract.

I think it is better to have benefits that a strong community brings rather than having the freedom of action that a me-first attitude gives rise to.

Seeing community benefits erode because someone puts their own (small) profit first is disappointing. If it happens often, the community is at risk.

Thanks for standing up on this.

rayyan

I am all for integrity and honesty in dealing with others.
It is also only fair that we give the other party involved
an unbiased hearing.

It has been my experience that honest mistakes or
misunderstandings can happen.

An honest person shall realize if a mistake has been
committed and shall take steps to avoid it in future.

Continually chastising a person does not serve any further
useful purpose.

I sincerely believe people are honest on this forum.
And hope it stays that way.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I am all for integrity and honesty in dealing with others.
It is also only fair that we give the other party involved
an unbiased hearing.

It has been my experience that honest mistakes or
misunderstandings can happen.

An honest person shall realize if a mistake has been
committed and shall take steps to avoid it in future.

Continually chastising a person does not serve any further
useful purpose.

I sincerely believe people are honest on this forum.
And hope it stays that way.
I hope I made it clear in my post that there was an misunderstanding . I believe that when you agree to a transaction (and all the details) and confirm the timetable to close the deal ....that you should do what you can to follow thru .

The difference of opinion was that both of the named individuals believe that its OK to find a better deal until money is exchanged . In essence nothing except the exchange of money can be relied upon . This is exactly how it works on some of the other forums .

There was absolutely no difference of opinion or misunderstanding of the facts .

To have this occur with two different ,long standing contributors is a real problem for me . Hopefully they both will find another forum which is more in line with their ethics .

bab

Does anyone in this sausagefest actually understand how comnerce wotks.

Any buyer is allowed to change their mind thats not immoral thats reality.

I do thinks its bull to buy something let the seller pay for something then put it all back on the seller.

I think the real issue here is its a,sore spot for some reason heck i dont know why

Also dont be so greedy to sell something unless you can close the deal
Viablex-5
Actually your point of view is one of a loser, or should I say Dick a real man gives his word and he lives with it. I can’t be on your side from your response above because I’ve been in business for 50 years and heard most stories including yours. Yours is one of a person who doesn’t belong on this board, I’d be willing to bet 95% of the OP agree, yours is a story of a hustler and a bad one at that.
Move on the door broke your toe.

Charles2

When someone posts a WTB and makes an offer ..followed by agreement on terms and conditions ..pictures,payment method ,shipping and timetable .....thats a handshake in my book . ... Both the sellers mentioned thought it was perfectly OK that they went with a better offer
You first described yourself as the seller; now you repeat that but a few lines later call them the sellers. ??

viablex1

Twice in the past two weeks have been screwed by two members of GETdpi (asiafish and viablex1) with long established recorded of positive participation . They both made WTB requests and I just happened to have what they were looking for . We agreed upon a price and terms . They offered and I excepted . Because in one case I was out of town and in another home with a temp of 100 ....we agreed that I would photograph ,send PayPal invoice and ship. date specific ..only 2-3 days out .

They both agreed and indicated no problem with the agreement . After photographing the lens and packaging I made contact ..preparing to ship next available day (monday ).

I get a message back ...I found a better deal and went with it . Asiafish ever pointed out how happy he was the other lens !

WTF ....in my book this isn t OK .

I wonder how they would feel if I said I found another buyer (after I had promised the lens ).

Asiafish and Viablex1 .....GFY. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
on my end this is not true and the mods have been asked to post the original pms between us facts are facts. you can yell to the top of your lungs but when you are lying you are lying if you say "if you change your mind for any reason before anything actually happens then that is on you. You need to grow up a little I did not screw you

Frankly

On a related note I posted a WTB a few months ago and got accosted when I was unwilling to buy what a “prominent member” offered. He explained it was a great hardship to find the item and take photos of it so I declined to save him the trouble. Then he got mad over that. I guess I should have paid whatever he asked sight unseen and trusted his high holiness.

I'm all for honor and integrity, which I back up in practice with every transaction even when it's a hardship. But remember there are two sides to every story and here we're only hearing the CNN version.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
on my end this is not true and the mods have been asked to post the original pms between us facts are facts. you can yell to the top of your lungs but when you are lying you are lying if you say "if you change your mind for any reason before anything actually happens then that is on you. You need to grow up a little I did not screw you
BS You agreed to a deal and the terms as outlined in my post . Then you continued to shop and found a lens at a slightly lower price over at FM . I found out after sending you the PayPal invoice you requested .

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
On a related note I posted a WTB a few months ago and got accosted when I was unwilling to buy what a “prominent member” offered. He explained it was a great hardship to find the item and take photos of it so I declined to save him the trouble. Then he got mad over that. I guess I should have paid whatever he asked sight unseen and trusted his high holiness.

I'm all for honor and integrity, which I back up in practice with every transaction even when it's a hardship. But remember there are two sides to every story and here we're only hearing the CNN version.
Frank

I went back and reread our exchanges to be sure . You posted a WTB for a Nikon 35/1.4 af . I responded I had a mint lens but that I would have to find the box ,paperwork etc and would have to send photographs the next day . You said great . We did not have deal ..I knew that . Next day I spent an hour photographing and organizing all the paperwork for you. (including original invoice) .

Further I never complained at all about needing to find and photograph the item ...before you should commit . However you did not decline for that reason ! Own up you just shopped and found a better deal . (go back and read the email exchange ).

When I sent the photographs to you the next day ..you replied that you had found a better deal elsewhere . My reaction was pure frustration with responding to WTB ads . (can t imagine why having been screwed twice in a week ). if you read that as aimed at you my apology.

Yes there are two sides to very argument . You have all the facts on our exchange ..yet you feel its OK to embellish them to support your point of view . The CNN comment really sucks .......

Roger

Frankly

Roger, thanks, I understand and I apologize for being snarky. I changed my mind several times and ended up with the 2.5# Zeiss and probably have a back injury from it... Karma.

Since you have nice photos why don't you list the items and sell them? While this forum can be a bit thin I've had good experiences on Fred Miranda and they have a good feedback system.

And I appreciate you got the CNN reference, lol not everyone would.

Status
Not open for further replies.