Site Sponsors

Thread: 400mm Fun

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

400mm Fun

All hand held just learning what it and the 5DMkII can do.

At the Station

Attachment 26052

Road to Sundown

Attachment 26053

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 400mm Fun

Impressive results for hand holding that big lens! I look at the pic of the lens....it's a beauty!

Gary

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

more fun and visions from worlds in my mind

Plant control
    Attachment 26054
    Conveyor
    Attachment 26055
    Red Storm
    Attachment 26056

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome John, glad you are enjoying it!!!

PS: Forgot to warn you -- when shooting in places like parks, you are likely to have random people walking up to you and asking if they can look through your camera! Might want to have a good reply ready for whatever your canned answer is going to be
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

tokengirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    PS: Forgot to warn you -- when shooting in places like parks, you are likely to have random people walking up to you and asking if they can look through your camera! Might want to have a good reply ready for whatever your canned answer is going to be
    Charge them 25¢ a peek.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tokengirl View Post
    Charge them 25¢ a peek.
    Exactly . It got ridiculous for me one time I did let somebody look -- this was in Yosemite. Anyway, before I knew it, I had like 10 people lined up to look through my camera. From then on I would explain that the light, or animal, or whatever might be perfect when they were looking, and since the gear needed to pay for itself, I have to charge $100 per look to cover lost image opportunities. Nobody bothered me after that.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Had that happen to me in Arches National Park when I still had my 500. I was shooting Delicate Arch with a 2x attached to the lens and somebody came up and asked if his kid could look through it. After looking down at the little guy with muddy hands and a jelly smeared face I decided that no was the appropriate answer saying to the Dad, sorry it’s just too delicate to pass around.

You’ll also find that any time anyone sees the big white lens come out you’ll have crowds of people around you trying to see what it is you’ll shooting. Happened to me at Yellowstone; people driving by would actually stop and watch. Bear jams and white lens jams…

Congrats on the lens!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Daveco

I had my 400 on a tripod sitting on a viewing platform at Bosque Del Apache and had taken the body off the lens. A lady came up and grabbed the lens (locked down on its gimbal mount) and tried to manhandle it. Apparently, she thought it was a public viewing telescope. Her adult son saw what was happening and asked her to leave it alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    ... Happened to me at Yellowstone; people driving by would actually stop and watch. Bear jams and white lens jams…
    At Yellowstone I also caused a 'going behind a bush' jam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Daveco View Post
    I had my 400 on a tripod sitting on a viewing platform at Bosque Del Apache and had taken the body off the lens. A lady came up and grabbed the lens (locked down on its gimbal mount) and tried to manhandle it. Apparently, she thought it was a public viewing telescope. Her adult son saw what was happening and asked her to leave it alone.
    Funny. Or is it?
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Daveco

Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    Funny. Or is it?
    Funny, now but at the time I was a bit concerned that I was dealing with a nut.