The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 400/2.8 non-IS series I strap?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I see this beast has fittings for carry straps. I thought about using my 5D strap (I use Domke straps on all my Canon bodies).

What would be a good strap for it?

LJL

John,
Interestingly, I have been using the Canon supplied strap for several years, and it works quite well. It has two main purposes for my use. When carrying the lens and camera, it is easiest to just hang off one shoulder, so something that does not stretch or bounce seem important there. If you are worried about slippage from your shoulder, then something like the Upstrap may be a good choice, but honestly, I think the 5D strap or the Domke straps will work fine also.

The second use for me is having the strap around my neck when using the camera/lens on a monopod. Since I shoot with at least two cameras for most sports, I can let the camera with the 400 pivot away from me just enough to bring the second camera with the shorter lens up to my eye to shoot. The key to this technique is to make sure the monopod foot is firmly on the ground. On grassy turf, I usually have my foot behind it, so that when the rig tilts away, it still is anchored at the ground point, otherwise it will swing out and yank you toward the ground. For the camera attached to the 400, I only use a handstrap. That allows for a firm, steady grip, but keeps extra straps out of the way. So basically, the strap attached to the 400 serves as a neck tether, and some padding there is nice. (The supplied Canon strap tends to be a bit narrow there, and I have been thinking about something wider at the area where it contacts my neck.)

Bottom line, you are not going to carry the camera/lens rig around your neck ever, so a strap that is strong enough, flexible and does not get in your way is all that is needed for shoulder carry or neck tethering, as I mentioned. (Do not tether around your neck if using a tripod, as you are well aware, unless you want to either strangle yourself or crash everything to the ground.) Long way of saying that almost any strong, properly secured strap will work, so use what is comfortable on your shoulder when carrying it. Just be sure whatever strap you use is properly secured to the lens and does not loosen or slide at the attachment points.

LJ

johnastovall

Thanks LJ, You answered my question perfectly as to how a strap is used on a super-telephoto. I'm finding it is a very different lens from my Leica jewels... :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John:

The original Canon carry strap for that lens was in the box with the lens! Did you not like it???

D

Daveco

You might also consider a large dog or small llama, or similar pack animal. Seriously, I use the Canon supplied strap, but I wonder if one of the after-market flexing straps would work on this lens and make it easier to carry?

johnastovall

You might also consider a large dog or small llama, or similar pack animal. Seriously, I use the Canon supplied strap, but I wonder if one of the after-market flexing straps would work on this lens and make it easier to carry?
Maybe I can get a small burro called, Mistletoe. :D