The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Switching from Nikon to Canon, a good idea?

Paratom

I played with a 7d yesterday and like the camera quite a bit overall.
However as soons as you switch to video I see it as a compromise. a) no swivel Display and more important: only contrast AF which is slow and unprecise. Canon recommends to focus manually which is not that easy to do it accurate.
SO IMO a nice add on but video is a compromise IMO. Anyways it doesnt hurt to have it in a camera.
Other than that the camera feels very responsive, is very nice shaped into the hand.

PSon

I started my digital camera with Canon and left for medium format until a few weeks ago; got the 5D mark II. Here are my reasons:
1) I have a 2 year old son and at this age he is very active and I would have a hard time to take his image with my medium format camera not just from the auto focus aspect but also from the high iso, light weight and especially live view (see image attached for using zoom live view with manual focus for highest accuracy; there is no live view for CCD sensor from Leica M and MFDB). I also thought about the 7D for this purpose and perhaps wildlife as well. Canon is making new lens and they seems promising.
2) Optics - the 17mm TS-E and 24mm TS-E II are very promising and since I already have the Sinar eMotion 75LV digital back, I like to use these lens with my back. The super wide angle TS-E lens has crossed into medium format and offering the medium format something that it is lacking and for much less cost. I also love the 85mm focal length especially the Zeiss 1.2/85 50th Jahre for my personal work but on occasion where I need to take images of my son, the Canon 1.2/85 and 1.2/50 EF lens will do the job. I also like the new upcoming Canon EF 2.8/70-200mm mark II for the same reason; my son.
3) Values - Since most of my budget went into the medium format system and Leica, I like the Canon system because as a whole system, they offer the best values both in camera and optics. The Canon long telephoto lens has even better value. I would like to get the 800mm EF lens down the line for wildlife and the price is attractive.
4) Integration - I like to use my lens on many systems and Canon offer the flexibility due to their camera flange distance. I can use most of my Leica R and Contax/Yashica mount Zeiss lens with adapters on my Canon where I would have a hard time using them on another DSLR system. The flexibility to put different optics into the Canon body increases the values even more than just from the Canon system alone.

Best Regards,
Son

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Put some more oil into the fire here:

I was in both Nikon and Canon systems over the past and I cannot say that one system suits my needs better than the other, overall I like Canon's more than Nikon's but that is a personal preference.

What is really great about C is their lens lineup, especially the new TS lenses, the high speed primes and the new 2.8/70-200. I also read consistently good reports about the 7D and I myself had the 5D2 and was very happy with it. Sold all that to jump into Alpha 900, mainly because the Zeiss glass, which is good but not great and in my eyes not better than the pro Canon lenses.

I have high hopes for the new 1DsMkIV, hopefully this beast will come without or at least with minimal AA filter. If it combines a reasonable MP count then I might switch back buying some of the lately released lenses.

Paratom

I also love the 85mm focal length especially the Zeiss 1.2/85 50th Jahre for my personal work but on occasion where I need to take images of my son, the Canon 1.2/85 and 1.2/50 EF lens will do the job.
Son, after first trying the 50/1.4 on the 7d i returned it for the 50/1.2 and my first impressions are very positive.

Paratom

I guess color is a very personal matter of taste.
I am not sure myself but so far I feel that I like the Canon skin tones slightly better, sometimes the Nikon skins seem a little yellowish.

In the end I agree it doesnt make much sense financially to switch Nikon-Canon and back, however I havent regretted so far to "downgrade" from the big d3x to the small and fast 7d and to reduce number of lenses and bulk.

This might be different if I did not have MF-equipment for those times when I have time and want higher resolution and absolute IQ.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am not sure myself but so far I feel that I like the Canon skin tones slightly better, sometimes the Nikon skins seem a little yellowish.

In the end I agree it doesnt make much sense financially to switch Nikon-Canon and back, however I havent regretted so far to "downgrade" from the big d3x to the small and fast 7d and to reduce number of lenses and bulk.

This might be different if I did not have MF-equipment for those times when I have time and want higher resolution and absolute IQ.
Agree to both!

Although my idea is to stay with M43 besides my MFD equipment. Still have my Sony A900, but actually think I will not need it much more since I own the EP2. Can do a lot (almost all) I want to do with that small beautiful camera and IQ is amazing.

So not sure why keeping a FF DSLR gear as a 3rd solution. The 7D is not FF, but it is Crop and I looked at it and actually it is not much smaller than FF. But the M43 cameras and especially lenses are.

Paratom

Agree to both!

Although my idea is to stay with M43 besides my MFD equipment. Still have my Sony A900, but actually think I will not need it much more since I own the EP2. Can do a lot (almost all) I want to do with that small beautiful camera and IQ is amazing.

So not sure why keeping a FF DSLR gear as a 3rd solution. The 7D is not FF, but it is Crop and I looked at it and actually it is not much smaller than FF. But the M43 cameras and especially lenses are.
The 7d is not much smaller than a 5dII (but quite smaller than a 1D or D3), but as soon as you want some reach the whole bag gets dramaticlly smaller. I also like the built in flash for fill (plus it can control off camera flash which is a great feature IMO)

50/1.2 lighter/smaller than 85/1.2
135/2.0 gives you 216 mm reach with better IQ than the 200/2.8
a 70-300/DO gives you 480mm reach
the standardzoom (17-55/2.8IS) has a more usefull range (for me) than a 24-70/2.8 plus IS as a bonus
10-22/3.5-4.5 is a very small and light UWA if one doesnt need the speed

I figured for my purpose a small DSLR is more usefull than 4/3, since I
a) prefer optical viewfinder
b) want to take images of kids and sports with this camera (AF speed and flexibility)
c) find the zoom AF-lenses offered for micro 4/3 too slow, specially for portrait and in the telerange to limiting
d) found too much overlap between micro 4/3 and my Leica M gear (regarding size and capabilities)
but I can see the ep2 a very nice temptation (I could resist though) and now feel I have the right tools for my needs

douglasf13

That's a matter of profiling, not necessarily how the camera handles color. Color is what Canon has been sacrificing for high ISO since the 5d ii.

Paratom

That's a matter of profiling, not necessarily how the camera handles color. Color is what Canon has been sacrificing for high ISO since the 5d ii.
doesnt Nikon going to design their cameras for high ISO as well lately? d3-d700-d3s

anyways-I am not experienced enough here. Havent profiled a camera yet just take what I get out of the camera and choose the raw converter which looks best to me. Works very well with my sinar back (color seems very balanced), and slightly more difficut with Nikon, Canon and even Leica.)

Paratom

thanks for the link. too difficult for me to understand (in the morning at least) I will try later again with some more time.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The 7d is not much smaller than a 5dII (but quite smaller than a 1D or D3), but as soon as you want some reach the whole bag gets dramaticlly smaller. I also like the built in flash for fill (plus it can control off camera flash which is a great feature IMO)

50/1.2 lighter/smaller than 85/1.2
135/2.0 gives you 216 mm reach with better IQ than the 200/2.8
a 70-300/DO gives you 480mm reach
the standardzoom (17-55/2.8IS) has a more usefull range (for me) than a 24-70/2.8 plus IS as a bonus
10-22/3.5-4.5 is a very small and light UWA if one doesnt need the speed

I figured for my purpose a small DSLR is more usefull than 4/3, since I
a) prefer optical viewfinder
b) want to take images of kids and sports with this camera (AF speed and flexibility)
c) find the zoom AF-lenses offered for micro 4/3 too slow, specially for portrait and in the telerange to limiting
d) found too much overlap between micro 4/3 and my Leica M gear (regarding size and capabilities)
but I can see the ep2 a very nice temptation (I could resist though) and now feel I have the right tools for my needs
I must say that the Canon Crop cameras are a great solution with the current lens lineup from C. But it definitely brings more size and weight as an optimized M43 system.

I still prefer OVFs as well, but the latest EVF from the EP2 comes so close to an even good OVF (at least for my requirements), that I decided it is time to jump on this now and start gaining experience.

Well I still kept my A900 with OVF and of course the H3D has OVF (actually the best of all and hard to top by any EVF designed and developed over many years to come, I am pretty convinced.

Paratom

I must say that the Canon Crop cameras are a great solution with the current lens lineup from C. But it definitely brings more size and weight as an optimized M43 system.

I still prefer OVFs as well, but the latest EVF from the EP2 comes so close to an even good OVF (at least for my requirements), that I decided it is time to jump on this now and start gaining experience.

Well I still kept my A900 with OVF and of course the H3D has OVF (actually the best of all and hard to top by any EVF designed and developed over many years to come, I am pretty convinced.
And I am also convinced that the Sony with Zeiss glass will slightly beat the Canons in final IQ.
If I didnt have MF I would probably have gone the Sony way.
Yes, 4/3 is definatly smaller than a small SLR.

E

eastcolo

I love that this topic has caused so much conversation. I kept my lenses and ordered the Nikon D300s. I am really excited to get it tomorrow. I will post my results and thoughts after trying it out.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I love that this topic has caused so much conversation. I kept my lenses and ordered the Nikon D300s. I am really excited to get it tomorrow. I will post my results and thoughts after trying it out.
Interesting that you decided for the D300s. Interesting, because I yesterday had the chance to try a D300s and some DX lenses and I must say that camera really attracted me! It is really nice size, lightning fast AF and the IQ is stunning, even for higher ISO.

Currently thinking of jumping back into the Nikon camp myself, as my main crop DSLR besides the H3D. Will see, and needs some more thinking and testing, but so far the current Nikon lineup and quality seem to really have improved over the past 2 years.

Paratom

Just for anybody considering the 7d:
After being initially impressed I have some doubts now regarding noise behavier and clarity in special conditions at low ISO.

Z

zzyzx

When you first considered this sports sidelines were ruled by white lenses. Take a look now and you will see more Black lenses. Canon shot themselves in the foot with sports and photjournalism shooters big time with the MkIII and their denial of problems.
Unless you have specific lenses or features you really need that Canon has and Nikon does not have, stay with Nikon.

Paratom

I am back with Nikon.
Some things going on with the 7d I could not handle-AF, noise in shaddows, prurplefringing, I just get better more consistent with Nikon.
Maybe its me since I have more experience with Nikon.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Congrats Tom !

Which Nikon body did you choose, the high megapixel count machine or one of the large pixel pitch machines ?