The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Switching from Nikon to Canon, a good idea?

wayne_s

I am back with Nikon.
Some things going on with the 7d I could not handle-AF, noise in shaddows, prurplefringing, I just get better more consistent with Nikon.
Maybe its me since I have more experience with Nikon.
Must be user error or bad copy as my AF works great, and I have no purple fringeing.

R

RRRoger

Well, I think they both make great cameras.

I just upgraded my D90 to a 5D2 and will switch back if Nikon ever comes out with a D700s.

I like the Nikon Company and their ergonomics better, but am glad that Canon is giving them some real competition.

R

RRRoger

Last weekend, I took the 5D2 with me as backup to my D3.
It did quite good inside an unlit barn with a 70-200 lens.
And, the video was fairly good with the slow moving horses.

The next day I took it along for MotoCross.

Close up with a 24-70 lens, it did remarkably well.
I constantly maxed out the AF and frame rate though.
It also worked better on P (program mode) than any other setting for me in the bright light.

With a 70-200 the 5D2 did not come close to keeping up with a D3.
I got a lot more good shots with the (slow?) 80-400 Nikkor lens.
The 22mp image was very close to the 12mp in quality.
The crop-ability is surprisingly only slightly better.

The Video shoot was a disaster.
The 5D2 just could not keep up with a fast moving motorcycle regardless of lens at only 30fps.
This was not a personal panning problem as the stills were pretty good, especially close up.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Finally I got my D700 and 14-24 and 24-70 delivered yesterday. I am still waiting for the 70-200 VR2. All was delayed because of the transport situation WRT volcano ash from Iceland.

I must say I am so happy being back to Nikon for DSLR after 2 years of hanging around with Canon (5D2) and Sony (A900). The D700 just has 12MP, but these 12MP are so much useable they come pretty close to some 20MP stuff. And the lenses (all nonocoated) deliver! Just took a few pictures yesterday and was amazed by how sharp and accurate WB etc.

If I look to the whole haptic of the Nikon it is far better than the Sony (including lenses - I really never liked the feel of the Zeiss lenses) and also Canon. Now it does not come with built in video, but this I am not really missing so far. And I am very sure the D800 (or however they will call the D700 successor) will have full HD video.

Final remark - I did go for the D700 instead of the D300s, because I wanted to have FF and also be able to make use of some old Nikon glass I own on FF - eg. the wonderful 1.8/105. This lens is a fantastic!

jlancasterd

I switched to a Nikon D700 from a Leica R8+DMR last August after Leica announced that they weren't going to make a full-frame DSLR to take R lenses. I'd been thinking of buying a Canon 5DMk2 so as to retain use of my R glass, but was persuaded to go the Nikon route by reports of how good the most recent Nikkor zooms have proved to be.

I started with the 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor and have been amazed by the results I've been getting from it, a couple of months ago I got the 16-35 f4.0 and have been equally pleased with that lens - especially its resistant to flare and good drawing characteristics at the wide end.

I now have the 70-200 f2.8 VRII on order...

Like others above, I find the handling of the D700 body to be excellent, and its high ISO performance continues to astonish me.

A 24-70 shot from earlier today:

View attachment 31126

Last edited:
M

martine4161

I think it is good to good idea to but a new Canon Digital camera. Canon is famous company all over in world. Canon is more popular then Nikon. Nikon has different types of model but not more then Canon.Canon has Good Feature like Brilliant performance; shapely new style,Better shots, easier replay,Canon Technology Maximizes Quality and Performance,High-speed transfers; convenient movie and shooting options,Easy, Flexible Direct Printing Options,Customize and correct color as you shoot etc.

baudolino

I have grown up with Nikon and have gone through several models starting from F801s all the way to a D3. I am a Canon user now, since earlier this year and I am getting used to its quirks and the somewhat less optimum operation of the bodies. My decision had nothing to do with the bodies (which are great from both manufacturers) but simply with the selection of modern prime lenses. Historically, Nikon has focused (in the top level segment) on large, heavy and expensive pro zoom lenses which produce great image quality but are ... large, heavy and expensive. The prime lenses have been waiting too long for an update (ultrasonic focusing, image stabilization) and have mostly been old designs. While Nikon have been working to fill this gap, I could not resist the lure of the relatively affordable, compact and light weight Canon "L" primes that produce fantastic quality images, not least because of their fast USM focusing, especially in the telephoto range (the 200 2.8 L lens, the 400 5.6 L lens, but also the 35 1.4 L and the fantastic new macro 100 2.8 IS II). Having gone through a lot of thinking and pixel peeping, I finally realized that I don't care so much about which make currently has the higher megapixel count or the somewhat better high ISO performance - yes these are considerations but in the end the light comes through the lens and that's what makes the picture. In this sense, I would say Canon is still ahead. (NB: I am very happy with the AF system on the 1D Mark IV).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have been through many iterations between Nikon and Canon (yes I spent far too much money) and now finally I arrived at the Nikon camp again with the D700 and waiting for the D800 (or however they will call this beast).

My reasons for leaving Nikon and jumping into C were always based on the fact that Nikon did not have appropriate primes. I never liked the interface of the Canons and never liked the feeling of the Canon bodies and lenses, although they produced great results.

Since Nikon brought the D700 which is IQ wise better than the D3 (I had this cam too) and they have now their complete nanocoated zoom lens lineup I am a happy Nikon shooter again. And for fast primes I cannot get from Nikon I go with Sigma - I am VERY happy with the 1.4/50. Will add the Nikkor 1.4/24 later tis year and waiting for the new 1.4/85 or if this does not show up I will again choose the Sigma model.

I also should mention that I am shooting Hasselblad if I really need high MP count, so I am not in the target market for D3X like cameras, although I am surprised of the quality which the D3X already delivers. I even assume that the next generation of high resolution DSLR bodies will be in the >30MP range both from Canon and Nikon and both with even better high ISO performance, which actually narrows the field for MFDBs again, so maybe in a few years from now I might end up with only one system - a Nikon system.