Site Sponsors

Thread: Switching from Nikon to Canon, a good idea?

eastcolo

Switching from Nikon to Canon, a good idea?

I have always shot Nikon, and am pretty comfortable with everything. I had a professional business for 3 years, and now have spent 2 years out of it since I became a stay at home mom. 2 years ago it looked like Canon was kicking Nikon's butt in the digital world, and I was thinking I would probably sell all of my equipment, and then switch to Canon, making a slight downgrade in quality of body, since I won't be using them nearly as much, but would still like to stay "sharp". My reasoning was to get rid of my D1x body while it was still worth something, and try to stay somewhat current so I could jump back into photography if I wanted to.

So, I finally have my equipment for sale, and have started the research on my future purchase. As I have done the research though, I am starting to have a little concern over comments about Canon's auto-focus abilities. While I want to work on my manual focusing abilities, the reality is that I will be primarily photographing my 3 year old, my family and our vacations. I want things to work quickly and accurately. Am I making a mistake making this move, or is it really that big of a deal? The equipment I had kind of decided on was the Canon 7D with kit lens, and an additional 85 mm f 1.8 lens.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Switching from Nikon to Canon, a good idea?

Switching from one brand to another because "Brand A kicks Brand B's but" is the worst reason you can find for switching. Next year, it may be the other way around, and you would have to switch again, and every switch will cost you a lot of money. Unless the 7D offers you something that you need, and the D300s doesn't have, you are mostly causing problems and extra costs for yourself: you have to get used to the ergonomics of a different camera (Canon and Nikon are different in that area), you have to buy new lenses and again, what do you gain?

If, on the other side, you need 1080p and/or 60fps video, or you have a lot of lenses that will fit on a Canon body and not on a Nikon, or you print so large that 18MP vs. 12 really makes a difference... then, it may be worth a consideration. But then, what do you do if Nikon launches a D400 with a zillion megapixels, 3D video and built in coffeemaker? Switch back?

Find out why it would be an advantage to switch. Then, weigh that towards the cost.

tokengirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

Find out why it would be an advantage to switch. Then, weigh that towards the cost.
    I agree. The current line-ups from Canon and Nikon are both excellent, notwithstanding all the whining on some of the gear forums that shall remain unnamed.

What exactly do you hope to gain by switching? What do you think Canon is offering that Nikon is not?

eastcolo

I think you all might be right. When I started thinking about this, it was when the Mark cameras first came out and my D1x was still top of the line or close to top of the line for Nikon...there was a pretty big difference in image quality and what you could get from a camera. Life happened in the meantime, and like I said, as I started researching now, 3 years later, I was a little surprised by what I found. I am a little concerned about getting used to a new body style, menus, etc. I guess I also still was in the mindset that I was going to keep my light kit, so I wouldn't have any additional revenue from equipment sale to go toward the purchase of a new camera. I have since decided to sell the light kit, and that should give me plenty of revenue to move forward with a new body, and I can keep the two lenses I love.
    I'm sure my whole post seems a little silly, I really was hoping to get feedback like this to help me think through the process, especially since I have been out of the game for 3 years.
    Thanks again for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Someone once told me that fish have a thin strip along their sides that picks up minute changes in electromagnetic energy (or was it pressure?). Like the pressure that might be generated by a slight movement of water. This supposedly explains how an entire school of fish can seem to change direction at the same instant, almost as if they were one organism instead of a collection of individuals. I honestly don't know if any of that is even a little true. But I like the theory and sometimes see a similar effect being played out on shore with other types of organisms.

I think Jorgen nailed it and would suggest that if you have some Nikon glass, stick with Nikon. Besides, in the 3 years since you started to consider the move to Canon, Nikon has made some tremendous changes. It's a pretty cool time to be a Nikon fan.

Best of luck with your decision.
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Eastcolo,

I just wanted to address your concern about the AF of the 7D.
    I have used the 7D for a couple of months now for bird and wildlife photography and am very happy with the AF funtionality of this camera which is a new redesigned system from the 1d3 which had the reported AF problems. I also have 1ds3,5D and 1d2n cameras. The 7D is easily the best APS-C camera that Canon has ever made and is a new performance and price point as it it is between the 50D line and the pro 1D line with fast 8 fps speed and fast AF with full HD video for only $1799.
    I agree you need to weigh the pros and cons of both systems looking at lens lineups of both for the kind of shooting you do. Try out both cameras and figure out what works the best for you and has the price/performance that you seek.
    Good luck with you new camera shopping and if you have any more questions about the 7D pls. feel free to ask.

eastcolo

Thanks so much to all of you for the replies. I really think the gap in time between making my initial decision and now is the main factor in my indecisiveness. A lot of strides have been made in Nikon, and frankly my D1x feels like a dinosaur. I have been checking out the Nikon bodies this afternoon (which I hadn't done yet) and really feel that the D300s is probably the way to go for my situation.

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, I have made nearly a complete switch from N to C. Reason was the fast L glass (24/1.4, 35/1.4, 85/1.2, 135/2) that Nikon can't offer. Also, by selling my Nikon gear, I could transition to Canon without it costing a lot (as N is more expensive) and I liked the idea of a high resolution, FF camera in a small'ish body (5dmkII compared to my D3).

I still have my D3 with 85/1.4, 24-70/2.8 and 50/1.4. The rest was sold.

I will probably sell the D3 body and hang on to the glass for future body releases. The lenses are just too freaking sweet to let them go.

Post Thanks / Like

It does not make too much sense unless you are keeping all your Nikon gears. Both are very good systems while Nikon are in fact making bodies which have better build quality, faster AF etc.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I am releasing myself from some gear right now and since I use MF for "ultimate IQ" and also Leica M my DSLR-system shal be reduced on just a few lenses.
    I need it mainly for those times when I want fast AF and when I want Tele (since the Leica M and MF are not good for that).
    I admit I too have the thought to switch from Nikon to Canon since the 7D seems to offer some 6MP more pixels, HD video, IS in the standard zoom compared to the D300s.
    And then Canon offers some nice primes like the 24/35/50/85/135L lenses, plus Canon offers more choices for Telelenses at f4.0.
    Canon offers a 17mmT/S lens, Nikon does not.
    The downside I would see is that Canon has probably nothing that compares to the Nikon 14-24/2.8 lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would say at this point in time, if you purchase comparable systems from each manufacturer, you would have a difficult time with a functionality comparison --- they're both pretty great within the respective price-points. I'd add the Sony to that mix too.

I think the best reasons to choose one DSLR over the other are ergonomics, comfort with the control layout and menus, and any specialized lens choices. Generally speaking though, I would give the edge to Canon Pro bodies for AF, while Nikon Pro systems get the tic for best metering and flash integration.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also made the change from D700 to 5DII. I'm very happy with the Canon body. But I miss my Nikon WA zoom lenses. Especially the 28/1.4, 14-24mm and 24-70mm lenses.
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I've been back and forth a couple of times, having grown up with Nikon. I had the 10D and then a couple of the 1D bodies (1D and 1D Mk2) and I have to say that I never felt as comfortable with the Canons' user interface as I do with the Nikon. The Nikons just seem to fit my hand better and all the controls fall naturally, whereas with the Canons, regardless of the time I had used them, I was never as "at home" as with the Nikons.

Cheers,

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    I also made the change from D700 to 5DII. I'm very happy with the Canon body. But I miss my Nikon WA zoom lenses. Especially the 28/1.4, 14-24mm and 24-70mm lenses.
    For which reasons did you decide to switch?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    You can buy a special adapter from Mark at 16-9 which allows use of the 14-24G on Canon with manual focus.
    I love this lens on my 1ds3.
    You can use the 28/1.4 with a nikon-eos adapter on your 5d-2.

eastcolo

Wow! I am glad I'm not the only one who has considered this switch, and I really do thank you for all of your input. I am now just waiting to sell my profoto light kit or my D1x to cover or help cover the cost of a new body. I am having a really hard time being patient, as I really would like to get out there and start shooting...something I haven't done in a long, long time. The video feature on the new bodies intrigues me a little. At first I didn't think I would ever use it, but the video camera we have now is mini-dv, and we have been talking about biting the bullet and buying a new digital video camera. It is my hope that the body will cover both my husband and my wants. What is everyone's feelings about the video on something like the 7d or the D300s? Sufficient quality? Easy to use? Would love to hear what people think and in what applications do you use it for?

Post Thanks / Like

i chose canon cause i love the color quality, and i still do.

if you feel the same way, it's a good reason to switch.

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't switched from Nikon. Too much money in glass, and no bodies out there that would dramatically change my images. In a way, the camera is just a lens accessory, the lens makes the image. No point in switching based on what bodies are on the market at a certain time.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have experience with a 7d/d300s for video but with a gh1.
    The shallow dof compared toconsumer video cams does give a nice look, however it also means focus is more critical when you shoot video with larger sensors.
    The D300 and 7d areeven bigger than the gh1, so focus should be even more critical.
    The other thing is the swivel display which is nice for video, the d300s and 7d dont have one.
    I think it is a nice to have movie in a DSLR but I doubt it can fully subsitute a "real" small video camera with designated user interface.

eastcolo

t_streng, Thanks for the input! I am excited to try it out.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I played with a 7d yesterday and like the camera quite a bit overall.
    However as soons as you switch to video I see it as a compromise. a) no swivel Display and more important: only contrast AF which is slow and unprecise. Canon recommends to focus manually which is not that easy to do it accurate.
    SO IMO a nice add on but video is a compromise IMO. Anyways it doesnt hurt to have it in a camera.
    Other than that the camera feels very responsive, is very nice shaped into the hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I started my digital camera with Canon and left for medium format until a few weeks ago; got the 5D mark II. Here are my reasons:
    1) I have a 2 year old son and at this age he is very active and I would have a hard time to take his image with my medium format camera not just from the auto focus aspect but also from the high iso, light weight and especially live view (see image attached for using zoom live view with manual focus for highest accuracy; there is no live view for CCD sensor from Leica M and MFDB). I also thought about the 7D for this purpose and perhaps wildlife as well. Canon is making new lens and they seems promising.
    2) Optics - the 17mm TS-E and 24mm TS-E II are very promising and since I already have the Sinar eMotion 75LV digital back, I like to use these lens with my back. The super wide angle TS-E lens has crossed into medium format and offering the medium format something that it is lacking and for much less cost. I also love the 85mm focal length especially the Zeiss 1.2/85 50th Jahre for my personal work but on occasion where I need to take images of my son, the Canon 1.2/85 and 1.2/50 EF lens will do the job. I also like the new upcoming Canon EF 2.8/70-200mm mark II for the same reason; my son.
    3) Values - Since most of my budget went into the medium format system and Leica, I like the Canon system because as a whole system, they offer the best values both in camera and optics. The Canon long telephoto lens has even better value. I would like to get the 800mm EF lens down the line for wildlife and the price is attractive.
    4) Integration - I like to use my lens on many systems and Canon offer the flexibility due to their camera flange distance. I can use most of my Leica R and Contax/Yashica mount Zeiss lens with adapters on my Canon where I would have a hard time using them on another DSLR system. The flexibility to put different optics into the Canon body increases the values even more than just from the Canon system alone.

Best Regards,
    Son
    Last edited by PSon; 13th March 2010 at 20:52.

Post Thanks / Like

Put some more oil into the fire here:

I was in both Nikon and Canon systems over the past and I cannot say that one system suits my needs better than the other, overall I like Canon's more than Nikon's but that is a personal preference.

What is really great about C is their lens lineup, especially the new TS lenses, the high speed primes and the new 2.8/70-200. I also read consistently good reports about the 7D and I myself had the 5D2 and was very happy with it. Sold all that to jump into Alpha 900, mainly because the Zeiss glass, which is good but not great and in my eyes not better than the pro Canon lenses.

I have high hopes for the new 1DsMkIV, hopefully this beast will come without or at least with minimal AA filter. If it combines a reasonable MP count then I might switch back buying some of the lately released lenses.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pham Minh Son View Post
    I also love the 85mm focal length especially the Zeiss 1.2/85 50th Jahre for my personal work but on occasion where I need to take images of my son, the Canon 1.2/85 and 1.2/50 EF lens will do the job.
    Son, after first trying the 50/1.4 on the 7d i returned it for the 50/1.2 and my first impressions are very positive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by smokysun View Post
    i chose canon cause i love the color quality, and i still do.

if you feel the same way, it's a good reason to switch.

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp
    Hmmm...not too sure about that one.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I guess color is a very personal matter of taste.
    I am not sure myself but so far I feel that I like the Canon skin tones slightly better, sometimes the Nikon skins seem a little yellowish.

In the end I agree it doesnt make much sense financially to switch Nikon-Canon and back, however I havent regretted so far to "downgrade" from the big d3x to the small and fast 7d and to reduce number of lenses and bulk.

This might be different if I did not have MF-equipment for those times when I have time and want higher resolution and absolute IQ.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    I am not sure myself but so far I feel that I like the Canon skin tones slightly better, sometimes the Nikon skins seem a little yellowish.

In the end I agree it doesnt make much sense financially to switch Nikon-Canon and back, however I havent regretted so far to "downgrade" from the big d3x to the small and fast 7d and to reduce number of lenses and bulk.

This might be different if I did not have MF-equipment for those times when I have time and want higher resolution and absolute IQ.
    Agree to both!

Although my idea is to stay with M43 besides my MFD equipment. Still have my Sony A900, but actually think I will not need it much more since I own the EP2. Can do a lot (almost all) I want to do with that small beautiful camera and IQ is amazing.

So not sure why keeping a FF DSLR gear as a 3rd solution. The 7D is not FF, but it is Crop and I looked at it and actually it is not much smaller than FF. But the M43 cameras and especially lenses are.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Agree to both!

Although my idea is to stay with M43 besides my MFD equipment. Still have my Sony A900, but actually think I will not need it much more since I own the EP2. Can do a lot (almost all) I want to do with that small beautiful camera and IQ is amazing.

So not sure why keeping a FF DSLR gear as a 3rd solution. The 7D is not FF, but it is Crop and I looked at it and actually it is not much smaller than FF. But the M43 cameras and especially lenses are.
    The 7d is not much smaller than a 5dII (but quite smaller than a 1D or D3), but as soon as you want some reach the whole bag gets dramaticlly smaller. I also like the built in flash for fill (plus it can control off camera flash which is a great feature IMO)

50/1.2 lighter/smaller than 85/1.2
    135/2.0 gives you 216 mm reach with better IQ than the 200/2.8
    a 70-300/DO gives you 480mm reach
    the standardzoom (17-55/2.8IS) has a more usefull range (for me) than a 24-70/2.8 plus IS as a bonus
    10-22/3.5-4.5 is a very small and light UWA if one doesnt need the speed

I figured for my purpose a small DSLR is more usefull than 4/3, since I
    a) prefer optical viewfinder
    b) want to take images of kids and sports with this camera (AF speed and flexibility)
    c) find the zoom AF-lenses offered for micro 4/3 too slow, specially for portrait and in the telerange to limiting
    d) found too much overlap between micro 4/3 and my Leica M gear (regarding size and capabilities)
    but I can see the ep2 a very nice temptation (I could resist though) and now feel I have the right tools for my needs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's a matter of profiling, not necessarily how the camera handles color. Color is what Canon has been sacrificing for high ISO since the 5d ii.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    That's a matter of profiling, not necessarily how the camera handles color. Color is what Canon has been sacrificing for high ISO since the 5d ii.
    doesnt Nikon going to design their cameras for high ISO as well lately? d3-d700-d3s

anyways-I am not experienced enough here. Havent profiled a camera yet just take what I get out of the camera and choose the raw converter which looks best to me. Works very well with my sinar back (color seems very balanced), and slightly more difficut with Nikon, Canon and even Leica.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

theSuede has gone into this in detail over on another site:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/847088/2#7911913

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the link. too difficult for me to understand (in the morning at least) I will try later again with some more time.

Post Thanks / Like

The 7d is not much smaller than a 5dII (but quite smaller than a 1D or D3), but as soon as you want some reach the whole bag gets dramaticlly smaller. I also like the built in flash for fill (plus it can control off camera flash which is a great feature IMO)

50/1.2 lighter/smaller than 85/1.2
    135/2.0 gives you 216 mm reach with better IQ than the 200/2.8
    a 70-300/DO gives you 480mm reach
    the standardzoom (17-55/2.8IS) has a more usefull range (for me) than a 24-70/2.8 plus IS as a bonus
    10-22/3.5-4.5 is a very small and light UWA if one doesnt need the speed

I figured for my purpose a small DSLR is more usefull than 4/3, since I
    a) prefer optical viewfinder
    b) want to take images of kids and sports with this camera (AF speed and flexibility)
    c) find the zoom AF-lenses offered for micro 4/3 too slow, specially for portrait and in the telerange to limiting
    d) found too much overlap between micro 4/3 and my Leica M gear (regarding size and capabilities)
    but I can see the ep2 a very nice temptation (I could resist though) and now feel I have the right tools for my needs
    I must say that the Canon Crop cameras are a great solution with the current lens lineup from C. But it definitely brings more size and weight as an optimized M43 system.

I still prefer OVFs as well, but the latest EVF from the EP2 comes so close to an even good OVF (at least for my requirements), that I decided it is time to jump on this now and start gaining experience.

Well I still kept my A900 with OVF and of course the H3D has OVF (actually the best of all and hard to top by any EVF designed and developed over many years to come, I am pretty convinced.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I must say that the Canon Crop cameras are a great solution with the current lens lineup from C. But it definitely brings more size and weight as an optimized M43 system.

I still prefer OVFs as well, but the latest EVF from the EP2 comes so close to an even good OVF (at least for my requirements), that I decided it is time to jump on this now and start gaining experience.

Well I still kept my A900 with OVF and of course the H3D has OVF (actually the best of all and hard to top by any EVF designed and developed over many years to come, I am pretty convinced.
    And I am also convinced that the Sony with Zeiss glass will slightly beat the Canons in final IQ.
    If I didnt have MF I would probably have gone the Sony way.
    Yes, 4/3 is definatly smaller than a small SLR.

eastcolo

I love that this topic has caused so much conversation. I kept my lenses and ordered the Nikon D300s. I am really excited to get it tomorrow. I will post my results and thoughts after trying it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eastcolo View Post
    I love that this topic has caused so much conversation. I kept my lenses and ordered the Nikon D300s. I am really excited to get it tomorrow. I will post my results and thoughts after trying it out.
    Interesting that you decided for the D300s. Interesting, because I yesterday had the chance to try a D300s and some DX lenses and I must say that camera really attracted me! It is really nice size, lightning fast AF and the IQ is stunning, even for higher ISO.

Currently thinking of jumping back into the Nikon camp myself, as my main crop DSLR besides the H3D. Will see, and needs some more thinking and testing, but so far the current Nikon lineup and quality seem to really have improved over the past 2 years.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just for anybody considering the 7d:
    After being initially impressed I have some doubts now regarding noise behavier and clarity in special conditions at low ISO.

zzyzx

When you first considered this sports sidelines were ruled by white lenses. Take a look now and you will see more Black lenses. Canon shot themselves in the foot with sports and photjournalism shooters big time with the MkIII and their denial of problems.
    Unless you have specific lenses or features you really need that Canon has and Nikon does not have, stay with Nikon.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I am back with Nikon.
    Some things going on with the 7d I could not handle-AF, noise in shaddows, prurplefringing, I just get better more consistent with Nikon.
    Maybe its me since I have more experience with Nikon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats Tom !

Which Nikon body did you choose, the high megapixel count machine or one of the large pixel pitch machines ?

Post Thanks / Like

I am back with Nikon.
    Some things going on with the 7d I could not handle-AF, noise in shaddows, prurplefringing, I just get better more consistent with Nikon.
    Maybe its me since I have more experience with Nikon.
    Must be user error or bad copy as my AF works great, and I have no purple fringeing.

RRRoger

Well, I think they both make great cameras.

I just upgraded my D90 to a 5D2 and will switch back if Nikon ever comes out with a D700s.

I like the Nikon Company and their ergonomics better, but am glad that Canon is giving them some real competition.

RRRoger

Last weekend, I took the 5D2 with me as backup to my D3.
    It did quite good inside an unlit barn with a 70-200 lens.
    And, the video was fairly good with the slow moving horses.

The next day I took it along for MotoCross.

Close up with a 24-70 lens, it did remarkably well.
    I constantly maxed out the AF and frame rate though.
    It also worked better on P (program mode) than any other setting for me in the bright light.

With a 70-200 the 5D2 did not come close to keeping up with a D3.
    I got a lot more good shots with the (slow?) 80-400 Nikkor lens.
    The 22mp image was very close to the 12mp in quality.
    The crop-ability is surprisingly only slightly better.

The Video shoot was a disaster.
    The 5D2 just could not keep up with a fast moving motorcycle regardless of lens at only 30fps.
    This was not a personal panning problem as the stills were pretty good, especially close up.
    Last edited by RRRoger; 23rd April 2010 at 10:26. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Comparing a D3 to a 5Dm2 is not apples-to-apples.

Try the Canon 1D Mark IV.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally I got my D700 and 14-24 and 24-70 delivered yesterday. I am still waiting for the 70-200 VR2. All was delayed because of the transport situation WRT volcano ash from Iceland.

I must say I am so happy being back to Nikon for DSLR after 2 years of hanging around with Canon (5D2) and Sony (A900). The D700 just has 12MP, but these 12MP are so much useable they come pretty close to some 20MP stuff. And the lenses (all nonocoated) deliver! Just took a few pictures yesterday and was amazed by how sharp and accurate WB etc.

If I look to the whole haptic of the Nikon it is far better than the Sony (including lenses - I really never liked the feel of the Zeiss lenses) and also Canon. Now it does not come with built in video, but this I am not really missing so far. And I am very sure the D800 (or however they will call the D700 successor) will have full HD video.

Final remark - I did go for the D700 instead of the D300s, because I wanted to have FF and also be able to make use of some old Nikon glass I own on FF - eg. the wonderful 1.8/105. This lens is a fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like

I switched to a Nikon D700 from a Leica R8+DMR last August after Leica announced that they weren't going to make a full-frame DSLR to take R lenses. I'd been thinking of buying a Canon 5DMk2 so as to retain use of my R glass, but was persuaded to go the Nikon route by reports of how good the most recent Nikkor zooms have proved to be.

I started with the 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor and have been amazed by the results I've been getting from it, a couple of months ago I got the 16-35 f4.0 and have been equally pleased with that lens - especially its resistant to flare and good drawing characteristics at the wide end.

I now have the 70-200 f2.8 VRII on order...

Like others above, I find the handling of the D700 body to be excellent, and its high ISO performance continues to astonish me.

A 24-70 shot from earlier today:

Attachment 31126
    Last edited by jlancasterd; 13th September 2012 at 13:42.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

martine4161

I think it is good to good idea to but a new Canon Digital camera. Canon is famous company all over in world. Canon is more popular then Nikon. Nikon has different types of model but not more then Canon.Canon has Good Feature like Brilliant performance; shapely new style,Better shots, easier replay,Canon Technology Maximizes Quality and Performance,High-speed transfers; convenient movie and shooting options,Easy, Flexible Direct Printing Options,Customize and correct color as you shoot etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have grown up with Nikon and have gone through several models starting from F801s all the way to a D3. I am a Canon user now, since earlier this year and I am getting used to its quirks and the somewhat less optimum operation of the bodies. My decision had nothing to do with the bodies (which are great from both manufacturers) but simply with the selection of modern prime lenses. Historically, Nikon has focused (in the top level segment) on large, heavy and expensive pro zoom lenses which produce great image quality but are ... large, heavy and expensive. The prime lenses have been waiting too long for an update (ultrasonic focusing, image stabilization) and have mostly been old designs. While Nikon have been working to fill this gap, I could not resist the lure of the relatively affordable, compact and light weight Canon "L" primes that produce fantastic quality images, not least because of their fast USM focusing, especially in the telephoto range (the 200 2.8 L lens, the 400 5.6 L lens, but also the 35 1.4 L and the fantastic new macro 100 2.8 IS II). Having gone through a lot of thinking and pixel peeping, I finally realized that I don't care so much about which make currently has the higher megapixel count or the somewhat better high ISO performance - yes these are considerations but in the end the light comes through the lens and that's what makes the picture. In this sense, I would say Canon is still ahead. (NB: I am very happy with the AF system on the 1D Mark IV).

Post Thanks / Like

I have been through many iterations between Nikon and Canon (yes I spent far too much money) and now finally I arrived at the Nikon camp again with the D700 and waiting for the D800 (or however they will call this beast).

My reasons for leaving Nikon and jumping into C were always based on the fact that Nikon did not have appropriate primes. I never liked the interface of the Canons and never liked the feeling of the Canon bodies and lenses, although they produced great results.

Since Nikon brought the D700 which is IQ wise better than the D3 (I had this cam too) and they have now their complete nanocoated zoom lens lineup I am a happy Nikon shooter again. And for fast primes I cannot get from Nikon I go with Sigma - I am VERY happy with the 1.4/50. Will add the Nikkor 1.4/24 later tis year and waiting for the new 1.4/85 or if this does not show up I will again choose the Sigma model.

I also should mention that I am shooting Hasselblad if I really need high MP count, so I am not in the target market for D3X like cameras, although I am surprised of the quality which the D3X already delivers. I even assume that the next generation of high resolution DSLR bodies will be in the >30MP range both from Canon and Nikon and both with even better high ISO performance, which actually narrows the field for MFDBs again, so maybe in a few years from now I might end up with only one system - a Nikon system.