The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS vr 11

dseelig

I cannot believe how good this lens is . Even wide open with a 2x extender wide open it is tact sharp better then the 100-400 L . this is a test shot 2x wide open at 400

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have not yet had the opportunity to test this lens, but from the specs it looks to me that it is now just about the equivalent of the 70-200 in sharpness even wide open.
David, have you been able to compare it to the 70-200 1:4.0?
thanks
-bob

dseelig

HI Bob
first thsi shot is not sharpened on 5d mk11 . My oldlens is now sold so no comparisons will tell you this though I tried the 2x on it and it and version 1 sucked with it. David PS this was hand held.
David

Z

zzyzx

How sharp is a "tact"?

Tact or Tack is as simple as Loose or Lose, isn't it?

Andrew Gough

I just discovered a problem with my lens. Specifically, at F/8 it de-centre's slightly and has random regions of blur - especially in zone B. I think that the IS is on the blink. It is super sharp at F/2.8, but at F/8.0 it gets all weird. BTW, I have not been drinking... Anyway, it is going back, I am glad that I bought it locally.

Ralph Eisenberg

I just discovered a problem with my lens. Specifically, at F/8 it de-centre's slightly and has random regions of blur - especially in zone B. I think that the IS is on the blink. It is super sharp at F/2.8, but at F/8.0 it gets all weird. BTW, I have not been drinking... Anyway, it is going back, I am glad that I bought it locally.
Had you been drinking, you might have discovered some unforeseen wisdom in this "feature enhancement". As indicated above, Lloyd Chambers is now doing a test on a third copy of this lens to determine whether this is a more general problem. Perhaps he deserves a drink also!

Andrew Gough

Had you been drinking, you might have discovered some unforeseen wisdom in this "feature enhancement". As indicated above, Lloyd Chambers is now doing a test on a third copy of this lens to determine whether this is a more general problem. Perhaps he deserves a drink also!
:ROTFL:

No drinking, I wish that was all it was. Turns out the IS unit was toast. Subsequently, the second copy was unacceptably soft at 70mm, but I am happy to report that the third copy is outstanding! :D

And it is as good as it gets!

KETCH ROSSI

The new Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II is surely a nice upgrade in both operation of the IS and the IQ as well, crispier, sharper, and surely more capable of handling much better both the 1.4 and the x2 with truly remarkable quality to the image.

We used it with the Red One camera sporting a EOS mount, and we were impressed, however, as with every zoom, when shooting video and zooming, the artifacts are still there as in any Still Zoom, more so obviously then with Cine zooms, but it does perform better then the other 70-200's no doubt.

A great lens in deed.