The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5D with ZF 100/2 After Dark......

G

Gary Knapp

The 5D and ZF 100/2 are a nice combo, to make an understatement! Here is a sample from after dark in Plattsburgh,NY. I consider the noticeably more dampened focusing (compared with ZF 35/2 & 28/2) to be a plus for me. I can make minute adjustments to zero in the focus, (always entertaining after dark....) and be assured it will stay put. This image shot at f2, 5D set at ISO 1600 & 1/200th. Lighting provided by ten flash units synched to the shutter by Pocket Wizard receivers. Some NIK filtering added in PP. Enjoy!

Gary

robmac

Very nice. I get a headache just envisioning the trial and error process of placing 10 slaved flashes. Do a hell of a job though - and beats the crap out of lugging hard-to-clone-out hot lights, cables and power packs everywhere.

Is it strictly a 1:1 PW:flash ratio or do you trigger multiple flashes off 1 PW with cables?

Ever have any units 'walk' away from a shoot?

G

Gary Knapp

Thanks Rob! It is possible to trigger multiple NIKON SB800's off of one PW, (four out of the ten used here were SB800's) WITHOUT CABLES, using the light sensor window on the side of the flash body to keep everything synched to the shutter. Majority of the flashes in this scene are actually pointed away from camera, parallel to train in an effort to avoid the dreaded reflective glare of flashes on the locomotives.

There are no headaches doing these set-ups believe me! Knowing what is possible.

Never had any units walk away from a set-up, I keep a close eye on the gang, especially here in Plattsburgh. This location sits along the main thoroughfare for college kids between two popular bars, and my hours seem to coincide with theirs. You can imagine the conversations.....

Gary

robmac

Gary - thanks for the setup questions. I agree with Mark - must look stunning printed large.

G

Gary Knapp

With all twelve flash units working (I think) together. Two behind locomotives make all the difference in the world! Help with the 3-D effect, seperating locomotives from station backdrop. I had to use a Canon Remote cord to reach out holding PW transmitter away from camera to (apparently) get the fire signal to the flash units. I'm on a stepladder here. 5D with ZF 100/2 again! Enjoy!

Gary

woodyspedden

You are really a trooper Greg.

Great set of shots.

Don't know how many of us would have the patience to set up such a complex flash system but in your hands, what results.

Best

Woody

G

Gary Knapp

Thanks for your appreciation guys! This combination is something else at night!

Gary

G

Gary Knapp

Thanks Rob! The train crews are either on my mailing list for photos of their trains or have seen my photos, and they are very tolerant of my lighting system. They are not "blinded" or anything as most of the flash units go off behind the cab. The crews are impressed by how good it makes them look, the lighting and all! The best lighting I've ever shot with, needless to say.

Gary