The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for advice, please.

PSon

rayyan, I hope this message find you well.

I like to take a different angle to this scenario that you are presenting:

In some similarity to you, I am also a Canon, Leica and Zeiss optic user. The Canon AF lens that I like to use are: 1.4/35L, 1.0/50L, 1.2/50L, 1.2/85L, 2/135L, 1.8/200L. My choice of the Canon lens are fast lens so I can avoid high ISO setting. Despite I love these lenses I still like to use my Leica and Zeiss lens in manual focus mode on the Canon DSLR camera. The manual focus mechanism is enhanced with zoom live view. The live view screen not only help my vision for accuracy but also reduce mirror slapping vibration in slow shutter speed. I put a strong magnifier on the LCD screen to further help my vision but also allow me to use it as a stabilizing point for slower shutter speeds. I hope that you can optimize your protocol to allow you extending your time using the lens of your choice.

Best Regards,
-Son

Last edited:

rayyan

Hi Mr. Son. I am well. Thanks for asking. I hope you are well.

I am sorry I saw your post just now. Very interesting take sir.

Zf choice I find very interesting.

Thank you.

rayyan, I hope this message find you well.

I like to take a different angle to this scenario that you are presenting:

In some similarity to you, I am also a Canon, Leica and Zeiss optic user. The Canon AF lens that I like to use are: 1.4/35L, 1.0/50L, 1.2/50L, 1.2/85L, 2/135L, 1.8/200L. My choice of the Canon lens are fast lens so I can avoid high ISO setting. Despite I love these lenses I still like to use my Leica and Zeiss lens in manual focus mode on the Canon DSLR camera. The manual focus mechanism is enhanced with zoom live view. The live view screen not only help my vision for accuracy but also reduce mirror slapping vibration in slow shutter speed. I put a strong magnifier on the LCD screen to further help my vision but also allow me to use it as a stabilizing point for slower shutter speeds. I hope that you can optimize your protocol to allow you extending your time using the lens of your choice.

Best Regards,
-Son

rayyan

Gentlemen, I am grateful to all of you for providing me with your experience based suggestions.

I am confused.:eek:

I am not sure what to do. I used to tell my junior managers that not making a decision ( based on considered advice and experience ) is also a valid and maybe an appropriate decision in circumstances.

I think I shall follow that advice in this instance.

Once again thank you all.

rchisholm

Well, while I am enamored of rangefinders and saving for an m9, dollar for dollar the Canon5d2 is hard to beat. I use only 3 lenses, the 16-35, the sigma 50 1.4 ( a dreamy lens for normal fov), and Canon's arguably best lens, the 85 1.2. I had and loved the 135 f2, but the 85 blows it away... If you are a portrait and people shooter, get the 85. You won't regret it over the 135. Rob

spotmeter

I recently purchased a Zacuto finder for my 5D2. It magnifies the LCD screen while blocking out all peripheral light. It's optics are very good. With Live View, and especially zoom and pan, I can check to see that everything, all the way to the corners, is in focus. It's also great for shooting focus stacks.

The clarity of the Zacuto and Canon Live View together give me the same feeling of enjoyment that I had using my Hasselblad 501.

J

JohnW

My main lenses are all those you list, except the 24. If you prefer 100mm, you might find the 135 too long. I certainly do, but it's so wonderful that I adjust. I occasionally use the 24-105, mainly at the wide end, but I could do without it.

If you can live with only primes, the zoom doesn't seem necessary. If I were you, I'd start with the primes and see what else you need.

If you shoot street or want to travel light, you might want to consider one light, fast prime, such as the 50 1.4 or 35 2.0. Every kit needs one light weight lens, I think.

John

Texsport

The Nikon 135DC f2 is a wonderful lens, at least on film.

My only foray into digital has been the Canon S90, which I enjoyed until the dreaded "lens error" message popped up indicating that my $400 camera was done without a $200 repair. That was 6 months after I bought it.

I learned from the repairman that these errors are way too common with Canon zooms, and I've taken the cure and pledged to stick with Nikon for my 35mm needs.

Just my experience, but a very irritating one.

Texsport