The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Reason I keep my Canon gear

I love my M8 kit and find that I reach for it over my Canon 5D or 40D when it is the best tool. However, I have kept my Canon system mainly for wildlife photography. A few examples from yesterday - I was a very good day (for me).

woodyspedden

Hey Mark

Great stuff. Congrats

By the way you should take the time to go meet Jim Lakey at Brightscreen who is also in Cleveland. Wonderful guy (apparently like most from Cleveland) and a worthwhile person to know. Does great work with screens for the Canons and Nikons as well as magnifiers for both. Hard working dude and always available to talk and educate.

Best

Woody

fotografz

Hey Mark

Great stuff. Congrats

By the way you should take the time to go meet Jim Lakey at Brightscreen who is also in Cleveland. Wonderful guy (apparently like most from Cleveland) and a worthwhile person to know. Does great work with screens for the Canons and Nikons as well as magnifiers for both. Hard working dude and always available to talk and educate.

Best

Woody
I just ordered a mag viewfinder from them for my D300. I cannot speak highly enough of their products. Prior to getting mag viewfinder for my DMR, my hit ratio with the 35 & 80 LUX was not so good. After I installed their product it was much much higher. I'm hoping the same happens with the D300 and the Zeiss Macros @ f/2 :thumbup:

I also installed their flip magnifiers on every Hasselblad V camera prism finder I own. Worth every penny. Something to seriously consider Woody ;)

woodyspedden

I just ordered a mag viewfinder from them for my D300. I cannot speak highly enough of their products. Prior to getting mag viewfinder for my DMR, my hit ratio with the 35 & 80 LUX was not so good. After I installed their product it was much much higher. I'm hoping the same happens with the D300 and the Zeiss Macros @ f/2 :thumbup:

I also installed their flip magnifiers on every Hasselblad V camera prism finder I own. Worth every penny. Something to seriously consider Woody ;)
Thanks Marc

Will Do

Woody

mazor

Yup, nothing wrong with Ye olde Canon gear.

Here is an image taken with old Canon 10D with Tele Lens taken through mesh bars.

MAzor

Thank you Marc and Woody for the kind comments. I didn't mean to imply there is anything wrong with Canon gear. I was merely trying to illustrate one of Canon's strengths. I love my M8 and reach for it most of the time, but at times there are better tools for the job at hand.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
What did you take them with, Mark? (good stuff btw) The bokeh on the turkey shot reminds me of the 100-400.

JAAP, the turkey photo and first bear photo were taken with a 40D, 500mm f4 IS + 1.4x TC. The last bear was sans the TC. I agree that the bokeh looks more like the 100-400 (I have that lens also) instead of the 500. It must be the TC or very busy background. Normally, the 500 has a creamy smooth bokeh when shot wide open. This was at 5.6 which is wide open with a 1.4 TC.

Woody, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Jim from Brightscreen. I bought one of his split image focusing screens for my 5D a couple years ago, but had to order just like you. I don't think he had a store front at the time because I asked if I could just come by and pick up the screen in person, but it wasn't an option. I don't know if he has a store front now or not.

robmac

Mazor - the facial expression of that cat is priceless.
Looks like he's had one too many pics taken of him by what, by his standards, are the equivalent of walking rib roasts.....

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
I am a bit curious, does anyone find that the M8 is all they need in a camera? I would always keep a slr type camera for the obvious things like long telephoto and macro, but often prefer to use the M8 for the things it excels in....

woodyspedden

I am a bit curious, does anyone find that the M8 is all they need in a camera? I would always keep a slr type camera for the obvious things like long telephoto and macro, but often prefer to use the M8 for the things it excels in....
I have the m8 system and love it for what it does but it is inadequate to be a one camera system. I also use the D3 and the splendid Nikon G lenses and two of the Zeiss primes and apart from size and weight this could truly be a one camera system Finally I now shoot with a Hasselblad CWD which is a large pixel 16Mpx camera with phenomenal image quality. If I don't have to trek long distances this is my field camera of choice for fine art landscapes.

Horses for courses as they say. M8 for travel; D3 for all general purpose work and the CWD for fine art scapes. One size just doesn not fit all. JMHO and YMMV

woody

Welcome to he forum Don. I like your photo posted over on the M8 fun images thread.

You have all the good toys Woody. I am jealous of your new digital Hassy system. I've got the other two systems covered. One of these days I will get into MFD.

Mark

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Mark - thanks alot, been kind of in the background [pardon the pun ] since I joined. Finally getting some images for a family book together and thought I would post a few to the gallery and see what everythought.

Woody - I agree with Mark, I had shot with a Hassy and 4x5 for decades before moving to digital in early 2001. Too many issues in my area getting film processed etc, and developed respiratory issues from over 30 yrs in the darkroom doing B&W. Wish I kept my old 500cm gear now, but don't know if I would want to carry it all again. Still have some 4x5 gear which I may break out in the next couple of mos. I have found that I enjoy the digital stuff a good amount, even though there is a learning curve for sure......A large pixel back would certainly be nice though.....hmmmmmmm. With two kids starting college in the fall, guess that will have to wait for a spell....