The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Canon...

bensonga

Bird Point, Turnagain Arm, Alaska, yesterday, 5D and 24-105 f4 L lens. This was taken on the first day of a scheduled two day photo workshop (Hal Gage, local fine art landscape photographer). The workshop was cut short by ash fall from the Mt. Redoubt volcano at 3:30pm. Within 30 minutes the sky went from mostly sunny to grey-brown as the massive ash cloud moved in.

We made our way back to the trailhead parking lot just as the ash started falling from the sky and drove the 30 miles back to Anchorage in a ash dust storm...not good. One of the hazards of living in southcentral Alaska, less than 100 miles from a now active volcano.

Gary
Alaska

bensonga

A quick and dirty panorama with the 5D and 24-105 f4L from the Bird Point workshop....6 JPGs stitched together in CS3. These images were taken at about 2pm....a couple hours before the Mt Redoubt ash cloud completely filled the sky above. That brilliant white snow would be a dull gray-brown today.

Gary
Alaska

atufte

A quick and dirty panorama with the 5D and 24-105 f4L from the Bird Point workshop....6 JPGs stitched together in CS3. These images were taken at about 2pm....a couple hours before the Mt Redoubt ash cloud completely filled the sky above. That brilliant white snow would be a dull gray-brown today.

Gary
Alaska
Superb....

bensonga

Some folks will go anywhere to get the perfect shot........

Bird Point Workshop, Canon 5D, 24-105L...taken from the relative safety of firm ground.

Gary
Alaska

bensonga

Superb....
Thanks! There are alot of great pano vantage points at this location.

I used my Gitzo Basalt tripod, Acratech leveling base :)thumbs:) and a pan tilt head....the whole setup worked well for capturing pano images.

I had planned to take the Hasselblad 503CWD today or maybe the 'blad with a film back...oh well. Once the volcano settles down, I'll head back there for some more photo outings. It's a very peaceful spot just to get away on your own and listen to the sound of the wind and the water moving in and out with the tide. It had been about 10 years since I was last there.....hasn't changed a bit.

Gary
Alaska

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Was out with Jim Collum getting familiar with my recently acquired Canon today...

50/1.4 at 1.4

80-200/2.8 at 200 and f2.8

24-105 at around 85 and f8

Dale Allyn

Some nice images here, folks. It's good to see them all, but I'm especially liking the B&Ws today. Probably 'cuz I'm fiddling with one of mine today.

Thanks for posting.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi John:

Yes, both Jim and I thought of that image as soon as we stumbled on it. However, Weston's Pelican carcass was "fresher" and in a much better setting and in much better light. This one might have been better 4 days ago in the fog, and certainly would be better with pebbles or sand as a backdrop ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I must be having flash backs or something. CANON :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Yeah, yeah, yeah.... :ROTFL:

Seriously though Bud, I actually like working on the files a lot more than I remember liking them in the past. Must be they changed something or maybe it's just C1! :D