The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Canon...

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Haven't seen one of these recently, sorry if there was an old thread, but these threads are fun and we all get to look at great photography....

Posted some of these in Nikon by mistake but ....

fotografz

I'll play. Still like Canon and am keeping my 1DsMKII and few choice L lenses for it. These were from my 1Ds & 1DsMKII ...

Last edited:

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Ben - what a great image, love the narrow windy alleys etc, haven't been to Jerusalem in over 20 yrs. Would love to go back and shoot digitally. Have many images of places I have travelled more recently, but not one is more talked about by my patients then a shot from Jerusalem from that trip. It works very well in B&W also...here is a digitized copy of a 20x30 print. Originally shot on 35mm Kodachrome with Nikon FM....fwiw...
guess I am violating my own thread by posting a non Canon image, sorry....geez that gave me an idea to recopy the print with my Canon 5D...there you go fixed....

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

Don, here is another taken while just walking around the Old City. I went back there with a LF camera and a 6X12 back to try and replicate it but although I haven't processed the film yet, I don't think I can capture that moment just like that again. I really have to get off my butt and do some more shooting there (just one bus ride away), I have an ongoing project to shoot the urban landscapes of the Old City but it's the people who make the photos really shine.

Canon 5D, 50mm @ f2.8

mazor

DonWeston, I love the first shot you posted with the plant. It looks so much much a persona face with a big hat on top. Nice colours too

Mazor

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Mazor - thanks, I really did not recognize it as such when I shot, but as soon as it popped up in the browser, it kind of "called out" to me, very humorous type of shot. I have seen alot of this kind of shot that have been worked on in PS, but I am not that good at that kind of PS work, this just falls under serendipity. I had borrowed a 1D3 for the trip and was greatly impressed with the images that I was able to get with it. Obviously did not need the speed of the 1D3 for this kind of macro work, but that PlantAlien could have beamed away in a flash I guess....

Ben - thanks and you have another great B&W shot of Jerusalem there, love the shading and tone overall. I, too go back to recapture some great images I have taken in some locales, and almost never get so lucky on return visits. Like I mentioned above to Mazor, there certainly is a serendipitous nature to photography and also a little bit of that type of thing in golf where we try to keep going out for that hole in one, shot after shot...
I used to shoot 4x5 and even bigger, but my nature is that I missed too many serendipitous moments with these large formats, that I regretted. All in all, there is alot more to images then just resolution and such, and a handheld cameral sure lets one capture more to these moments. With a 5D you used, this image must certainly be high enough quality to make some really nice prints....lastly, we all need more motivation at times to get off our collective tuchhies[sp] .....am sure you know what I mean...I may have to go look for some more of my old 35mm slides from my old trip, seeing yours has reawakened some of those good memories of that time...

andy

Here's a shot of my new puppy (Bonnie to go with her two-year-old half brother Clyde). 1DMkIII with 24-105 f/4. Can't really find anything that is more fun than that. :)

pthompson

I was looking at some 5D/135L pics relative to Don's other thread re: favorite primes...decided to post this here instead. I took this last July wandering around my yard, waiting for my new M8 to arrive. When I got the files on my computer, I thought "what the hell am I doing buying another camera???"

I have since fallen in love with the M8, but have no intention of getting rid of this combo...

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
What a beautiful floral image, great lighting, and interesting space usage. The pink rose looks 3-D....very nice..

Good luck with your M8, I finally put mine on ebay this weekend, along with a couple of lenses. It just wasn't right for me overall. Only a couple of days left to go.....

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Figured it had been a couple of days and it has been quiet, so here are a couple more...different subjects etc...

Arne Hvaring

Here's a small contribution to keep this interesting thread going.
Both taken with the 450D and EF-S 17-55mm lens. Subject an open-air theater performance about an artist famous for paintings of trolls and nature spirits. All great fun.

Last edited:

bensonga

I'm surprised at how few images have been posted here......where are all the Canon DSLR users? :)

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

2006 Anchorage Fur Rondy Gran Prix
Canon 20D

Last edited:

bensonga

Thought I posted this one yesterday.....but I must have had a senior moment. :confused:

I hit the double nickel this week. :D

Gary

Canon 20D
Start of the Iditarod Sled Dog Race a few years ago