The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Canon...

fotografz

With Canon's recent announcement of their new IS mechanism, they are hinting that they'll be upgrading/adding IS to new lenses starting soon. I've heard rumors of 24-70 IS, and 400/5.6 IS. Also have been hearing rumors of a redesigned 70-200/2.8 IS, and 100-400 IS.

Maybe we'll get lucky, Bob, and get a new 85L III IS :)
Nikon better get off their rear ends : -)

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Here are two more versions of the shot. First is a more "punchy" version (contrast, clarity, sharpness). Second is a B&W interpretation.

Arne Hvaring

Here are two more versions of the shot. First is a more "punchy" version (contrast, clarity, sharpness). Second is a B&W interpretation.
Mike, I think you've worked that B&W image very nicely. B&W tends to emphasize the content (or action) of an image, eliminating distracting colour. It seems you've lightened the face (profile) a little, to lead the eye there, and I also like the toned down background upper left which I felt a little distracting in the colour version.
Having said that, I still marginally prefer the colour image in this case because of subject matter, the wonderful colours overall and the matching colours of the flowers in the tissue and the flowers by the wayside.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Thank you Arne.

I, too, prefer the color version for this shot. In fact, I prefer the more soft/glowing first version, over the punchier second color version. But I need to get rid of some of the highlights in the background bokeh on the first version.

I appreciate your comments.

Mike

bensonga

Playing around with the 40D and 50mm f2.5 macro lens in the garden today. Most of the flowers are fading fast....just a few weeks of summer left up here.

Gary

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
It has been quiet recently, thought I might give this thread a boost and post a few of new hdr images I have worked on lately....

All shot with a 5D2 for what it is worth, the two first rural shots were with a 24-105mmL and the Westin Hotel in NYC, no relation by the way, unfortunately, was with a 24mm ef.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It has been quiet recently, thought I might give this thread a boost and post a few of new hdr images I have worked on lately....

All shot with a 5D2 for what it is worth, the two first rural shots were with a 24-105mmL and the Westin Hotel in NYC, no relation by the way, unfortunately, was with a 24mm ef.
Don,

Nice images compositionally, but something went way wrong with the saturation -- some of the tones appear posterized and almost neon on my monitor ??? (Plus, as I said above, I'm personally not a huge fan of obvious HDR/tone-mapping...)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that looks like my third grade classroom complete with the debris
-bob

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Don,

Nice images compositionally, but something went way wrong with the saturation -- some of the tones appear posterized and almost neon on my monitor ??? (Plus, as I said above, I'm personally not a huge fan of obvious HDR/tone-mapping...)
Err...thanks, Jack, guess my tastes go towards the Pete Turner school of images, never liked Ektachrome, always a Velvia user here. They do not look so bad on my monitor and I guess tastes differ....while I don't do many HDRs for similar reasons, I was trying to have fun and see something different then the boring interpretations I so often see of common structures. I have even been known to do posterizations from time to time as well...I also am not so sure you can tell that specifically on a web page and a small downsized image for web use such criteria...like I said it was just an artistic trial....and tastes in fact do vary....

Here is a more conventional mono conversion..

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
No worries Don, I agree that tastes vary -- while some like Pete Turner, others of us prefer Richard Misrach :D

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
No problemo here either, and Misrach, I would say is a different taste altogether from Turner.
Don't think there are any wrong answers here, just different flavors...not everyone likes plain vanilla...but it is the most popular flavor..:D

happy shooting....too bad I can't join your guys going to Portand OR is September, actually going there early in Sept and driving down to see a cousin in SF. Have a great trip, Don

S

Shelby Lewis

couple of happy snaps while on holiday with my wife last week

5d2, 85/1.8, 250D closeup lens

I think 50/1.4 (maybe 85/1.8)
REALLY pushed this a bit to hard in 8 bit, thus the banding/posterization... gonna rework it soon.
Lonely Fly Fisherman:

Cheers!
Shelby

S

Shelby Lewis

and a couple more from a wedding this last weekend

5d2 on both

bride and dad... just before processional

cheers!
Shelby