The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Canon...

bensonga

These are pretty common mushrooms here in southcentral Alaska this time of year. Not sure what they are called.

Canon 40D with the 50mm macro lens.

Gary

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Mike:

FWIW I just received Roman Loranc's new book, Fractal Dreams (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9749&highlight=fractal+dreams). In it, he has a very similar composition of Mt. Shasta with clouds taken from maybe 45 degrees further South-West around the base. See here, then scroll down to Mt. Shasta: http://www.romanloranc.com/alphabetized.html
Wow - that is a fantastic shot.

I love Roman's work - I will definitely need to get that book.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Mark:

Nice composition, but it looks as though you were angled down slightly as you have some keystoning? With a lens that wide, you probably want to be dead level and maybe even add a tiny -- like 1/2 a degree -- of up tilt for the light fixture.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I know you're very close, and why I mentioned it ;) For sure, on architecture with the 17 you want to be dead level. And if you have to fudge any direction, make it up instead of down -- most human brains accept slight convergence of parallel uprights at the top over divergence.

wayne_s

I know you're very close, and why I mentioned it ;) For sure, on architecture with the 17 you want to be dead level. And if you have to fudge any direction, make it up instead of down -- most human brains accept slight convergence of parallel uprights at the top over divergence.
Jack,

I use the level on my RRS ball head to make sure I am level with the TS-E 17 but is there any better way to know if you are pointed 100% perpendicular to the wall of the structure you are shooting without having to scrutinize the vertical line to see that they are perfectly vertical and parallel?
Also, have you shot this church interior with your P45+ back?

Mark,

Congrats on the new 17 TS-E!! I am sure you are loving it just as much as I am.
Look forward to shooting the church interior with you next week.
Looks like Lloyd Chambers is going to be shooting with a rented one this weekend.
He likes to shoot at Stanford alot while testing lenses.

mark1958

Wayne if you two are going on Monday let me know. I can go on Monday. I think it had it pretty level and then I moved the tripod down the aisle, which was not level. I did this to get a better composition. Yes i did shoot with my old Hassy H2 Leaf back. I should bring my hassy with 1.5HTS and 28mm for a comparison. I was in a bit of a hurry because i ran over during lunch break and had to get back for meeting

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,

I use the level on my RRS ball head to make sure I am level with the TS-E 17 but is there any better way to know if you are pointed 100% perpendicular to the wall of the structure you are shooting without having to scrutinize the vertical line to see that they are perfectly vertical and parallel?
Also, have you shot this church interior with your P45+ back?
Hi Wayne:

I use the level on my Arca Cube and find it to be true with the my camera. However, I think a good level in the hot shoe is better for some camera/head combos since it eliminates any bracket issues if they're not square. Also, a grid screen is huge help as you can more readily see (scrutinize) when parallels are not and/or when you have imparted any yaw -- and I think it is beneficial to scrutinize an architectural shot, especially with a super wide like the 17.

When you and Mark shoot next week, do me a favor -- shoot with your dead-square set up, then angle the camera up very slightly and take a second shot that now should have some slight convergence of the columns. By very slightly, I mean angle the camera up a half to one degree with the 17, no more. (And here I am distinguishing camera angle tilt from lens tilt -- but you may want to add some upward lens tilt too in an effort to help pull focus for that lighting fixture.) Get back to us and let us know which appears most natural; the square or the slight upward tilt (;)).

I have not shot the inside of the Stanford church with my P45+ yet and I just got the 28 lens for it --- maybe I should meet you guys there next week too and give it a try?

Jack

wayne_s

Hi Wayne:

I use the level on my Arca Cube and find it to be true with the my camera. However, I think a good level in the hot shoe is better for some camera/head combos since it eliminates any bracket issues if they're not square. Also, a grid screen is huge help as you can more readily see (scrutinize) when parallels are not and/or when you have imparted any yaw -- and I think it is beneficial to scrutinize an architectural shot, especially with a super wide like the 17.

When you and Mark shoot next week, do me a favor -- shoot with your dead-square set up, then angle the camera up very slightly and take a second shot that now should have some slight convergence of the columns. By very slightly, I mean angle the camera up a half to one degree with the 17, no more. (And here I am distinguishing camera angle tilt from lens tilt -- but you may want to add some upward lens tilt too in an effort to help pull focus for that lighting fixture.) Get back to us and let us know which appears most natural; the square or the slight upward tilt (;)).

I have not shot the inside of the Stanford church with my P45+ yet and I just got the 28 lens for it --- maybe I should meet you guys there next week too and give it a try?

Jack
Jack,

That would be great if you could join us. I would really like to see how much detail the P45+ pulls in with the 28mm, should be incredible. :thumbs:
Are you available this Monday, Labor Day?
I will send a PM with my cell contact info.
I will try the slight upward tilt shot to see if it looks natural still.

Mark,
I am available anytime on Monday so let me know when is a convenient time for you. Also, is the church open that day?

Thanks!

-Wayne

mark1958

I have the H3DII-31 and i have the 28mm and 1.5HTS. I am not sure when the church is open but it commonly is on weekends

scho

Laid back sailors

Hi folks,
I've come full circle back to Canon. Sold my 5D 3 yrs ago, went with the Leica M8 for the next 3 yrs, recently been playing around with m43 cameras (still have and like my G1) and now have the Canon 5D MK2. Hopefully this one will stick awhile longer. I have to rebuild my Canon lens collection and right now have the 24-105 kit lens, my old 50 1.4, 100 2.8 macro, and 20 2.8 lenses. I'll probably get rid of the 20 and think about a wide alternative first - suggestions would be appreciated for landscape work.

Shooting raw and processing in LR 2.4 with the new 5D MK2 and still feeling my way back into DSLR land. I find that I need to be much more aware of DOF than with the M8 and smaller formats, but will hopefully get back into the swing soon. My early images with the 24-105 are not as crisp as I'd like, but need to establish a new shooting and processing workflow before blaming the lens for my problems. Here is an image from an afternoon walk at the waterfront today to check out the 5D MK2 with 24-105 and the latest antics of the wannabe Ithaca sailors. The bow lady is asleep at the wheel in boat #1 and in boat #2 Captain Goodwrench isn't wearing his lifevest.

Regards,
Carl