The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Canon...

bensonga

I was telling a friend recently that I had been generally disappointed with the images from my Canon 7D. I don't think I've even used the 7D during the past year or so. He asked me what the problem was, so I started going back thru some of my photos to find examples for him. Finally I had to admit....it's really not that bad.

I printed this image tonight on a glossy 11x17 paper. Very nice....I wish you could see it.

It stacks up well against a similar image I took with my Pentax 645NII using the 120mm macro on Velvia 100.

Gary

Canon 7D and the EOS 85mm f1.8 lens.

S

Shelby Lewis

I was telling a friend recently that I had been generally disappointed with the images from my Canon 7D.
Hey Gary!

Strangely enough... I'm in a period where all I own is a 60D (not that I want it to remain so). I think the sensor is the same as the 7D (or similar). In good light, I'm consistently surprised at how good the IQ is. It's funny... as someone who's shot medium format (Leaf), sony, nikon (including d800), and a host of canon bodies... I think we often forget how good ALL of these cameras can be if we play to their strengths.

Nice shot!

Cheers!
Shelby

bensonga

Hey Gary!

Strangely enough... I'm in a period where all I own is a 60D (not that I want it to remain so). I think the sensor is the same as the 7D (or similar). In good light, I'm consistently surprised at how good the IQ is. It's funny... as someone who's shot medium format (Leaf), sony, nikon (including d800), and a host of canon bodies... I think we often forget how good ALL of these cameras can be if we play to their strengths.

Nice shot!

Cheers!
Shelby
Very true Shelby. It's so easy to get jaded about these cameras & lenses, thinking only the latest and greatest is worth shooting with anymore.

Re my Canon gear, I shoot more with my old 1D Mark II and to a lesser extent the 5D (Classic). These are only 8 and 12 megapixels, but I love the look of the images. To me, the heft and build quality of the 1D2 is also a plus.

Here are a couple of shots with the 1D2 and 50mm compact macro.

bensonga

Canon 6D with 24-105 f/4 L and 70-200 f/4 L IS, minimal post. I can see a proper macro lens in the near future.
Nice images! A proper macro is definitely a great lens to have....The Canon 100/2.8 is very good. Even the old 50mm compact macro does a nice job.

Gary

asiafish

Nice images! A proper macro is definitely a great lens to have....The Canon 100/2.8 is very good. Even the old 50mm compact macro does a nice job.

Gary
Thanks Gary. I'll probably hold out and save my pennies for the 100 f/2.8 IS. At high magnification shake is also highly magnified and I'm usually too lazy to take carry my tripod.

bensonga

Thanks Gary. I'll probably hold out and save my pennies for the 100 f/2.8 IS. At high magnification shake is also highly magnified and I'm usually too lazy to take carry my tripod.
Yes, that does look like a terrific lens. I've been happy with every Canon L series lens I own. I generally turn off the IS on my lenses unless I absolutely need it....but it's certainly nice to have that option.

Gary

asiafish

I'm the same way with IS, but with a longish macro I can see needing it almost always if handholding it.

I've been delighted with the 24-105 /4 IS L and the 70-200 /4 IS L thus far, and had a lot of fun with my (non L) 85 /1.8 tonight (will post some people shots in the next few days). My kit will be (eventually) complete with the 17-40 /4 IS L, the 100 /2.8 IS L macro and the (non L) 35 /2 IS.

As a Leica M fan used to Leica primes I was expecting the Canon to be just "good enough", but I must say the lenses are far better than I expected, and dirt cheap compared to Leica. I still love my M Monochrom, but my plans for a color M are canceled. The 6D is even quieter than my M, the horror!

S

Shelby Lewis

whoa... calibrated my monitor this morning and the photo posted above is seriously off-color, lol. You'd think I'd know better and remember to calibrate BEFORE working up images. Luckily, it wasn't a final... only a quick post-session test workup.

ETA: Ok, I think google Chrome's color management has been mucked up on my computer because the image looks decent in Firefox

ETA...again... I've seen a bunch of chatter on the internet about Chrome's newly-deteriorated abilities re:color management. Looks like it might be time to change browsers again. (boo... I generally prefer Chrome)

asiafish

whoa... calibrated my monitor this morning and the photo posted above is seriously off-color, lol. You'd think I'd know better and remember to calibrate BEFORE working up images. Luckily, it wasn't a final... only a quick post-session test workup.

ETA: Ok, I think google Chrome's color management has been mucked up on my computer because the image looks decent in Firefox

ETA...again... I've seen a bunch of chatter on the internet about Chrome's newly-deteriorated abilities re:color management. Looks like it might be time to change browsers again. (boo... I generally prefer Chrome)
Looks fine to me. Using Safari on a Mac with color-calibrated Eizo Coloredge.

asiafish

Earlier this morning with the 6D and my new-to-me 70-200 f/4 L IS. Minimal post as always (I hate computers, so I try to get it right in the camera).

The first one is cropped to just over 4 megapixel (could really have used a 100-400).

_MG_0848.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

The next one up close at 116mm.

_MG_0855.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
1Ds-II, 70-200/2.8L (version 1, with that body!), Capture One, through a window :eek:, for extra atmosphere!

--Matt

Last edited: