The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Canon...

scho

Comparison of Arsenal focus stacking output with Zerene Stacker output using same raw input files taken by Arsenal on a Canon 6DMKII with EF 24-105 4L. Arsenal is not currently configured to save raw output back to the camera SD card so output is simply a jpeg file saved to the phone app. The individual raw files used for the stack are saved to the SD card and were used for input to Zerene Stacker. Output from Zerene was downsized to the same dimensions as the Arsenal jpeg for comparison. Focus stacking was set to take 5 shots and near and far focus points were set in Arsenal.

Arsenal Focus Stack Result

Zerene Stacker Result

pegelli

Nice experiment Carl, Thanks for sharing.
At a casual inspection both focus stacking tools seem to work as intended.

But looking in detail I noted two differences (probably you found more)
1) Further to the back the Arsenal file looks sharper there, I wonder if this has anything to do with the downsizing of the Zerene file
2) Hilights/lights seem better controlled in the Arsenal file

scho

Nice experiment Carl, Thanks for sharing.
At a casual inspection both focus stacking tools seem to work as intended.

But looking in detail I noted two differences (probably you found more)
1) Further to the back the Arsenal file looks sharper there, I wonder if this has anything to do with the downsizing of the Zerene file
2) Hilights/lights seem better controlled in the Arsenal file
Thank you pegelli. Yes, I also noticed the differences you mentioned. I am hoping that the Arsenal developers can get the phone app to save a high resolution DNG file from the stacked output back to the camera SD card. Otherwise it works well (at least on a Canon) as do the other Arsenal stacking functions like exposure bracketing, long exposure, and time series.

scho

A quick blast of snow for xmas. Yesterday it was 63 F with torrential rain all day, but last night temp dropped 30 degrees and we had heavy wet snow. Canon 6DMKII EF 24-105 F4L.
Arsenal focus stack output.

scho

I took Arsenal out for a field test today down by the lake. Shot 3 scenes using a Canon 6DMKII and EF 24-105 f/4L with Arsenal attached and controlled by app in my iPhone. The first of the boathouse door was a 3 shot stack and the other two were 4 shot stacks. The final composited jpegs were emailed back to my computer at home via the iPhone app. Except for some moderate wind that created some ghosting in grass and tree branches, everything else worked smoothly. I was told by support tech at Arsenal that next release will have an update to allow saving of DNG raw files of composited stacks. Control click to open full size image in new window.

scho

First outing with the Canon EOS R and RF 35/1.8 IS Macro. Also had the GP-E2 GPS receiver on and all shots were GEO tagged as they were shot. My first serious DSLR was the Canon D30 and finally now after a long wait I am using Canon's first FF mirrorless. So far I like the performance and handling. Only one RF lens so far, but several EF lenses that I have available from my earlier Canon cameras work well with the adapter. Following shots are just walkabout snaps in the park. Control click to open larger version in new window.

scho

A few shots taken at the Ithaca Children's Garden with the Canon EOS R and RF 24-105 f/4 L

Recycled plastic bottle potting shed

Adobe shelter with roof garden

Helping hands bench

Entrance to the Black Diamond trail from the waterfront trail at the Children's Garden

Oren Grad

Carl - thanks for sharing some of your initial work with the R. As you gain experience with it I'd be interested to hear any thoughts you'd care to share - positive, negative or neutral - about usability of the R compared to a traditional Canon mid-sized DSLR body like the 6DII.

scho

A few test shots using two Leica R lenses on the EOS R. The Leica Vario-Elmar - R f/4 35-70 was attached via a Kipon L/R-EOS R adapter and the Leica R 50/2 Summicron had a Leitax EF adapter with focus chip + Canon EF-R adapter..

Leica R 35-70

Leica R Summicron

Leica R 35-70

Leica R Summicron

Leica R 35- 70

Leica R Summicron

scho

A cold front pushing through has slowed down the January thaw melt runoff at Buttermilk Falls and seepage is freezing up along the cliff walls. Canon EOS R with Leica Vario-Elmar-R 4/35-70.

Oren Grad

Got my hands on an R for the first time this afternoon, with both the 24-105 and the lens I'd be more interested in, the 35/1.8. Alas, it was not a happy experience. Other than the basic menu structure being familiar, I found the camera awkward and unpleasant in handling, particularly at eye level. More's the disappointment, as my 6D is like a comfortable old shoe and I've been OK with many other EOS models too, going back to early film-EOS days in the late '80s. Oh, well. I'll probably sit tight for now and see how the lineup evolves. But I'll still look forward to seeing what others are doing with the R.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled "more and more fun" programming:

Flag

20D / EF-S 24/2.8