The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is your most used prime lens?Why?

fotografz

Shot a wedding Monday where I did all the portraits and B&G shots from start to finish with just one lens, my 85mm 1.8, I was shooting in low light and my 24-70L just doesn't sharpen up enough wide open. It was fun eventhough for candid work that 85mm that I once was almost married to has been surplanted for the more petite 50mm 1.4, I've fallen in love with the way a 50mm draws eventhough it's a inferior lens in almost every way.

I shoot weddings with two cameras (FF) on me, one with the zoom and flash, the other with prime wide open. The prime only shots make up 15-20% of the final proofs which is not bad considering what a high percentage of the proofs are taken up by 'must have' shots in the very ceremony intensive weddings I shoot.

Left is 85mm @ f2.8 posed and light fill flash, right is 50mm @ f1.8 candid of the bride in the synagogue just before the veiling ceremony.
Your wedding work is getting better Ben. Nice.

May be selling the Zeiss 24-85 you've been longing for. PM me.