The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone try trashing your AA filter?

kqschwarz

I have been thinking of doing the same thing with my 5D. Anyone with experience and comments would be greatly appreciated!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I've been considering it for my 5D ever since I did the 1Ds3 comparison test...

robsteve

Subscriber
I removed the AA filter on my D2000 and it made quite a difference. There was moire every now and then, but back then I was shooting sports and not a lot of teams had herringbone tweed jerseys or other moire prone fabric. :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Joshua C1 had on the PC side a plugin called Demoirze or something close to that spelling that did a great job, it is not on the Mac side . There are some actions that are available to help with that also. i am still looking for a commercial program for the Mac side. Maybe C1 when it comes out of beta

AGeoJO

Hi Guy,
You are right, I forgot about that :D. I kind of "abandoned" C1 in favor of LR lately....

Thanks,
Joshua

doug

What can be done to remove moire effect, if deemed bothersome? Can people enlighten me, please?
I'm using a Photoshop plug-in moire reducer from fredmiranda.com

Tha California Quail for unknown reasons is particularly prone to moire in the gray feathers on its chest & back. The fm plug-in works quite well in my experience:

AGeoJO

Hi Doug, thanks for posting the two samples. By any chance, could you post one without the moire reducer, please? I would like to compare the two.... BTW, what camera did you use for both shots? Does it have only a weak AA filter or even no AA filter?

Thank you,
Joshua :)

doug

Hi Doug, thanks for posting the two samples. By any chance, could you post one without the moire reducer, please? I would like to compare the two.... BTW, what camera did you use for both shots?
I can post the pre-moire reducer photos this evening. Camera is the R8 with DMR (no AA filter), upper photo with 280 f/4 APO, lower with 560mm f/6.8 Telyt.

doug

As promised a couple of versions of the second photo, one before moire reduction, one after. There's some feather detail that doesn't get corrected but the color artifacts are gone.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Doug for posting that , looks to clean it up very nicely. I guessed the 280mm . I know how much you love that lens

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The DMR still looks better than the 5D without an AA filter, at least considering the few 5D hot-rod images I've seen...