Site Sponsors

Thread: Canon wide angle options

Post Thanks / Like

Canon wide angle options

Now that Panasonic GH2 is my default "walkabout" camera I have been thinking of ebaying my 17-40L to fund an Olympus 9-18 M4/3 to add to 14-140 & 20mm. However, that does leave a significant gap betweem Zeiss 21 and 35 on the 5D2. Neither Canon 28mm options sound stellar and I think 24mm is more useful alongside 35mm anyway. Do you think 24/2.8 is optically up to 17-40 at 28mm (when I think it is pretty good)? If I don't get the 9-18 (will use wide end of LX3 for 24mm!), it seems more sensible to keep 17-40, as it gives me 18, 24 & 28mm focal lengths to complement 21&28mm Zeiss.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Canon wide angle options

Lots of ideas going on here.

I think you should keep the 17-40mm. It's effectively the same FOV and speed as the 9-18mm, but you are giving up image quality due to smaller chip of the m4/3 camera (and I'd expect the Canon L lens to be better too).

I'd say just get the 20mm 1.7 for your m4/3. I've got Canon dSLR kit and an Olympus EPL-1 with the Panny 20mm 1.7. I'm very happy with the compactness of the m4/3 kit. Once you put the 9-18mm on it, it's not such a small kit anymore.

Don't completely write off the Canon 28mm 1.8. I have friends who are very happy with this lens on their 5D Mark II. At that price and size, hard to beat.
    Sony NEX, Olympus m4/3 + Panasonic lenses, Leica M, and too many lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of ideas going on here.

I think you should keep the 17-40mm. It's effectively the same FOV and speed as the 9-18mm, but you are giving up image quality due to smaller chip of the m4/3 camera (and I'd expect the Canon L lens to be better too).

I'd say just get the 20mm 1.7 for your m4/3. I've got Canon dSLR kit and an Olympus EPL-1 with the Panny 20mm 1.7. I'm very happy with the compactness of the m4/3 kit. Once you put the 9-18mm on it, it's not such a small kit anymore.

Don't completely write off the Canon 28mm 1.8. I have friends who are very happy with this lens on their 5D Mark II. At that price and size, hard to beat.
    Sony NEX, Olympus m4/3 + Panasonic lenses, Leica M, and too many lenses

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should spend a lot of money and get the 24/1.4 mkII. Itīs a stellar lens. In an ideal world, that is. It does cost a lot, though, and comparisons Iīve seen between that and the 28/1.8 do not show any huge differences in IQ once stopped down to f/5.6 or so. I have the 24/1.4, for what itīs worth. Happy with that choice, but I do want a 14, a 35, a 17ts/e, and a 1DsIII. I donīt need any of it, but I would very much like to have that kit.