The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon wide angle options

NigelC

Now that Panasonic GH2 is my default "walkabout" camera I have been thinking of ebaying my 17-40L to fund an Olympus 9-18 M4/3 to add to 14-140 & 20mm. However, that does leave a significant gap betweem Zeiss 21 and 35 on the 5D2. Neither Canon 28mm options sound stellar and I think 24mm is more useful alongside 35mm anyway. Do you think 24/2.8 is optically up to 17-40 at 28mm (when I think it is pretty good)? If I don't get the 9-18 (will use wide end of LX3 for 24mm!), it seems more sensible to keep 17-40, as it gives me 18, 24 & 28mm focal lengths to complement 21&28mm Zeiss.

saxshooter

Lots of ideas going on here.

I think you should keep the 17-40mm. It's effectively the same FOV and speed as the 9-18mm, but you are giving up image quality due to smaller chip of the m4/3 camera (and I'd expect the Canon L lens to be better too).

I'd say just get the 20mm 1.7 for your m4/3. I've got Canon dSLR kit and an Olympus EPL-1 with the Panny 20mm 1.7. I'm very happy with the compactness of the m4/3 kit. Once you put the 9-18mm on it, it's not such a small kit anymore.

Don't completely write off the Canon 28mm 1.8. I have friends who are very happy with this lens on their 5D Mark II. At that price and size, hard to beat.

saxshooter

Lots of ideas going on here.

I think you should keep the 17-40mm. It's effectively the same FOV and speed as the 9-18mm, but you are giving up image quality due to smaller chip of the m4/3 camera (and I'd expect the Canon L lens to be better too).

I'd say just get the 20mm 1.7 for your m4/3. I've got Canon dSLR kit and an Olympus EPL-1 with the Panny 20mm 1.7. I'm very happy with the compactness of the m4/3 kit. Once you put the 9-18mm on it, it's not such a small kit anymore.

Don't completely write off the Canon 28mm 1.8. I have friends who are very happy with this lens on their 5D Mark II. At that price and size, hard to beat.

arild

I think you should spend a lot of money and get the 24/1.4 mkII. It´s a stellar lens. In an ideal world, that is. It does cost a lot, though, and comparisons I´ve seen between that and the 28/1.8 do not show any huge differences in IQ once stopped down to f/5.6 or so. I have the 24/1.4, for what it´s worth. Happy with that choice, but I do want a 14, a 35, a 17ts/e, and a 1DsIII. I don´t need any of it, but I would very much like to have that kit.