The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5D Mk3

arild

This site is stuffed with rumors on the 5D MkIII and the 1Ds MkIV/1D MkV (speculation going on about the 1D line merging); http://www.canonrumors.com/. Personally, I´m saving for whatever´s next in line of the 1D line, suspecting that it´s going to become a 36x24mm chip either way. In the mean time, my 1D MkII will do the job.

I also would like a weather sealed 35/1.4L MkII.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This site is stuffed with rumors on the 5D MkIII and the 1Ds MkIV/1D MkV (speculation going on about the 1D line merging); http://www.canonrumors.com/. Personally, I´m saving for whatever´s next in line of the 1D line, suspecting that it´s going to become a 36x24mm chip either way. In the mean time, my 1D MkII will do the job.

I also would like a weather sealed 35/1.4L MkII.
Yes, these are the rumors around, had a look. What I am looking for is a higher MP camera from Canon with great high ISO and body size like the 5D2.

Why I am looking for Canon?

1) rumors say they will bring around 28MP in a 5D3 body (with hopefully some more advanced AF) - but around 28MP are just good enough for me.

2) I like their high speed prime range and quality

3) I like certain zooms of their lineup - 16-35 II, 70-300 etc. - small and portable zooms!

If they are going to bring this anticipated 5D3 then I might very well consolidate several of my systems and jump back into Canon DSLR.

What I also like is that they are not jumping on that EVF train for their pro lineup ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Canon must have some major headaches over the 5DIII. In less than a month, Sony is launching the A77 with more MP, probably better high ISO performance and much more features than the 5DII. For less than half the price. It won't have an optical viewfinder of course, but life goes on without that as well.

From being at the forefront of DSLR development just 4 years ago, Canon seems to be heading for a very defensive role. I'm sure the 5DIII will be an extremely nice camera, but will that be enough to compete against the likes of the A77 and a GH3? Maybe among traditionalists, but being one of those, even I grab the GH1 over one of my 4 F-mount bodies almost every single time.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Canon must have some major headaches over the 5DIII. In less than a month, Sony is launching the A77 with more MP, probably better high ISO performance and much more features than the 5DII. For less than half the price. It won't have an optical viewfinder of course, but life goes on without that as well.

From being at the forefront of DSLR development just 4 years ago, Canon seems to be heading for a very defensive role. I'm sure the 5DIII will be an extremely nice camera, but will that be enough to compete against the likes of the A77 and a GH3? Maybe among traditionalists, but being one of those, even I grab the GH1 over one of my 4 F-mount bodies almost every single time.
Jorgen,

I understand and I know! But I am extremely concerned about the E System (E5) from Olympus, as they are clearly focusing on M43, which is good per se, but cannot substitute for a high end pro DSLR system.

While I like EVFs in some sort of cameras I have much higher demands for pro grade cameras. Yes Oly will bring their Pro M43, but what the heck can this be? It will be basically a pro version of an M43 camera, which also can take 43 glass. And this is not amusing. I have the latest adapters from Olympus to mount SHG lenses on my M43 bodies. Not mentioning AF speed, which really sucks in this combination, also the size relations do no longer fit - at least not for me.

Also I am missing high speed primes in the Oly lineup. Canon has a real great lineup of 1.2 glass as well as 1.4 glass. Even better than Nikon - I know what I am talking here, as I owned both of the (at least some) and worked for long time with them.

What has Sony to offer? Maybe they produce currently the best sensors, but their camera and especially lens lineup sucks - at least for me.

What has Nikon to offer? It is for sure the closest competitor to Canon, WRT camera bodies they are even better currently, but they do not have their own sensor development/manufacturing. So they depend on Sony and others. I am pretty sure that Canon will bring a really big surprise with their next generation sensors and pro grade camera bodies and they will get back their leadership role again. Just think about the 7D and extrapolate that to a FF DSLR. And add newer processing and so on, then you already have some 35-40MP best, fast, sensitive, low noise and great IQ. In a camera body the size and weight of the 5D2 and at a similar price point! And pair this with the latest lens generation of their EF glass - BINGO!

Where can Panasonic go in this direction? They are stuck with a 43 sensor and while this is great for compactness, this is not so great for high resolution in combination with high IQ and low noise at high ISO.

So my ideal future would look like using M43 for high end compact (either Panasonic or Olympus - I prefer personally Olympus here) and using a FF DSLR with around 30MP and pro grade glass for landscape an other demanding work I want to do - I have the highest trust in Canon to offer this for a reasonable price. Also Sony could do, but the obviously did not take that serious in the past and I see no signs they will do in the future - at least not FF. And finally I could then get rid of my H3D39 :)

And if there is some money left this could mean to buy a M10 just for fun or for the photography where I want to use a RF like the M.

I would really like Olympus to take 43 and the E system serious, but I have my serious doubts meanwhile that this is going to happen! And this is sad because I really like my E5, but I want and E7 with around 20MP and clean high ISO of 6400. And this seems to be out at least 5 years if it is going to happen at all. But I need something now and for the next 5 years.

jonoslack

What has Sony to offer? Maybe they produce currently the best sensors, but their camera and especially lens lineup sucks - at least for me.
Hi Peter - I think your problem lies just here. I think the A900 is a fantastic camera - of course, now it's nearly 3 years old, but it still handles like a dream (like a real camera), and the files have a mid-tone colour roll off and subtlety that Canon and Nikon can only dream of.

The A77 looks increasingly like a complete killer - there are lots of excellent Sony / Zeiss / Minolta lenses around both current and legacy (you simply cannot say that the 135 f1.8 'sucks'), and every indication is that the replacement for the A900 will have around 40mp of a lovely new sensor.

Jorgen has it - Canon and Nikon seem to be being really defensive (although Nikon's rumoured 1" sensor compacts seem exciting) The only thing they really have going for them is better AF if you're a sports shooter - but I wonder how long even that will last. I think that there's a good future to m4/3, but in reality it seems to be Sony who are making all the headway.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Peter - I think your problem lies just here. I think the A900 is a fantastic camera - of course, now it's nearly 3 years old, but it still handles like a dream (like a real camera), and the files have a mid-tone colour roll off and subtlety that Canon and Nikon can only dream of.

The A77 looks increasingly like a complete killer - there are lots of excellent Sony / Zeiss / Minolta lenses around both current and legacy (you simply cannot say that the 135 f1.8 'sucks'), and every indication is that the replacement for the A900 will have around 40mp of a lovely new sensor.

Jorgen has it - Canon and Nikon seem to be being really defensive (although Nikon's rumoured 1" sensor compacts seem exciting) The only thing they really have going for them is better AF if you're a sports shooter - but I wonder how long even that will last. I think that there's a good future to m4/3, but in reality it seems to be Sony who are making all the headway.
Jono,

I hear you! I hope you are right! If so I would not mind to go Sony instead of Canon.

DO you have any experience with their 1.4/85 from Zeiss? This would be my most important lens I am looking for on a FF DSLR. Followed by a high speed 24 or 28. And then a decent standard zoom - does not need to be too fast, if I would need fast I would use my primes. That seems to become my preferred way of photography and using a DSLR.

On the other hand I must say that I looked into the images I took with the 5D2 some 2 years ago and I really like these colors and the file quality. Both if viewed in LR3 and C1Pro 6. So I do not find Canon IQ so suboptimal to Sony and others, I find it at least on par, if not even sometimes better. But well, these are maybe small differences.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Peter,
I agree and I disagree. The lens lineups of Canon and Nikon are hard to debate with. There will probably never be an "equivalent" of the 85mm f/1.2 for m4/3 and even the most perfect EVF will lack the "feel" of a good OVF. But for most practical purposes, also for professional photographers, this will mean less with every quality improvement from Panasonic and Sony.

Read Mark Dubovoy's safari article on LL, and see how he fights to get around the fact that the little plastic devil from Japan approaches his S2 in almost every area, and surpasses it in some. Don't misunderstand me; there are times when you really see the difference by using MF or FF with top quality glass, but the number of photographers that really need that difference and who can really make those cameras sing must represent less than 1% of the total number of shooters if you add up anything from Ansel Adams to Miss Soccer Mum of the Year.

And herein lies the huge challenge for Canon and Nikon. Although there will probably always be a market for traditional style cameras like the 5D Mark Something or a D Somehow, the major part of that market will probably turn all electronic much faster than any of us could have predicted only 2-3 years ago, not because the electronic cameras are necessarily better, but because they will be cheaper, smaller and more convenient to use.

Then there's marketing. "Here's the camera that will cook coffee for you in 3D while taking professional HD video" is an easier sell than "We've made the same as last year, only more of it". The 5D was a fantastic achievement when it was launched, and for many photographers the best bargain money could buy. In August 2011, that title will possibly go to Sony for the A77. And in 2012? The GH3? Or something new from Samsung with an 1/3" sensor and lenses made from recycled beer bottles?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter,
I agree and I disagree. The lens lineups of Canon and Nikon are hard to debate with. There will probably never be an "equivalent" of the 85mm f/1.2 for m4/3 and even the most perfect EVF will lack the "feel" of a good OVF. But for most practical purposes, also for professional photographers, this will mean less with every quality improvement from Panasonic and Sony.

Read Mark Dubovoy's safari article on LL, and see how he fights to get around the fact that the little plastic devil from Japan approaches his S2 in almost every area, and surpasses it in some. Don't misunderstand me; there are times when you really see the difference by using MF or FF with top quality glass, but the number of photographers that really need that difference and who can really make those cameras sing must represent less than 1% of the total number of shooters if you add up anything from Ansel Adams to Miss Soccer Mum of the Year.

And herein lies the huge challenge for Canon and Nikon. Although there will probably always be a market for traditional style cameras like the 5D Mark Something or a D Somehow, the major part of that market will probably turn all electronic much faster than any of us could have predicted only 2-3 years ago, not because the electronic cameras are necessarily better, but because they will be cheaper, smaller and more convenient to use.

Then there's marketing. "Here's the camera that will cook coffee for you in 3D while taking professional HD video" is an easier sell than "We've made the same as last year, only more of it". The 5D was a fantastic achievement when it was launched, and for many photographers the best bargain money could buy. In August 2011, that title will possibly go to Sony for the A77. And in 2012? The GH3? Or something new from Samsung with an 1/3" sensor and lenses made from recycled beer bottles?
Unfortunately you might be right!

Anyway I would love to see a less radical evolution in this area! Not that I am conservative, but I have my concerns with some of these "new all singing and dancing" strategies, as they do not make photography better.

But there is hope, there is still Leica and their interpretations of photography - M System, S System and their new EVF System they are going to introduce at PK2012. Looking forward to how that one will look like :cool:

Uaiomex

If sadly Canikon eventually decide to go for the all electronic touch/fly-by-wire camera for economic and marketing reasons with a little bit of luck, we will have a revived Leica R system. Let's hope for the best and hope Canikon doesn't follow Apple latest trends.
Eduardo

Unfortunately you might be right!

Anyway I would love to see a less radical evolution in this area! Not that I am conservative, but I have my concerns with some of these "new all singing and dancing" strategies, as they do not make photography better.

But there is hope, there is still Leica and their interpretations of photography - M System, S System and their new EVF System they are going to introduce at PK2012. Looking forward to how that one will look like :cool:

kevin2i

If sadly Canikon eventually decide to go for the all electronic touch/fly-by-wire camera for economic and marketing reasons with a little bit of luck, we will have a revived Leica R system. Let's hope for the best and hope Canikon doesn't follow Apple latest trends.
Eduardo
Canon's DSLR's are probably safe for a good time to come - however there is nothing 'sad' if Canikon introduces a small body with EOS mount, with EVF (Nex 7 style). That would be fantastic. Even better if FF. And I don't think Apple could do worse than Canon in style and UI. (example: I shoot in Av and M modes, when I switch, the aperture control switches from the front dial to the rear dial. Kind of like driving a car that when you change gears, brake and accelerator pedals switch places. Impossible to operate the camera intuitively.)

Canon is really lacking innovation at this point, but maybe they will surprise us. Until then, I have found M9 + 5dII are a great combination.