The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The 1Dx has arrived!

etrigan63

I must say I am impressed. Now how is the high iso performance and how good are the skin tones? How loud is the shutter? Would it be enough to make me jump ship back to Canon? The $6800 price tag can be a bit off-putting.

Ben Rubinstein

Let's see what price the D4 comes out at and with what megapixel count, I can't see anything noticeable in this new body in comparison with the D3s other than resolution.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Let's see what price the D4 comes out at and with what megapixel count, I can't see anything noticeable in this new body in comparison with the D3s other than resolution.
better AF? much faster? better light metering? better colors? better high ISO at same time 1/3 more MP?

Stefan Steib

This is exactly the right move by Canon. Kudos for not getting into this megapixel nonsense and instead making a camera that will stand out in usability and quality.

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

Ben Rubinstein

better AF? much faster? better light metering? better colors? better high ISO at same time 1/3 more MP?
5 months till release and you bet that unless you're shooting the Olympics or in Hollywood you won't see one for 2 months after that. But when we do, the D4 will also have been released and we can actually do some comparisons which are more meaningful than just a specsheet. At the moment all the comparisons are spec sheet against 3 year old competition and I just think that it's silly.

Yes so far Canon have written a spec sheet which for once doesn't seem crippled in any way whatsoever. Truly a camera to be proud of and the first one since my 5Dc's which would interest me in buying it if it wasn't so ridiculously priced (RRP in UK is over what the 1Ds3 has been for some 2.5 years and the price won't drop below RRP for a good long while, Canon's new strategy of amalgmate two lines and charge the higher price is a good idea if no one has been paying the really big bucks for a camera for the past 3 years but in todays economy perhaps just a bit um? What the heck they'll sell all they can by keeping supplies low and prices high like with the 5DII).

But I'm interested to see why Canon felt the need to announce a camera 5 months prior to release, they've never done that before or even close and it does worry me. I think there is more to what canon is up to than meets the eye. Or maybe it's just the need to announce something pre olympics, pre nikon but while they are still repairing from the tsunami damage?

Last edited:

Terry

I thought they came out with the big white paper a while before they came out with one of the prior 1D's

etrigan63

But I'm interested to see why Canon felt the need to announce a camera 5 months prior to release, they've never done that before or even close and it does worry me. I think there is more to what canon is up to than meets the eye. Or maybe it's just the need to announce something pre olympics, pre nikon but while they are still repairing from the tsunami damage?
Ben,
I think it is "all of the above".

Announce before Nikon
Pre-Olympics (get in the mindset)
Cover for delays from natural disasters gumming up the works

turtle

This is great news and I hope it lives up to its potential. 18mp is plenty for me - a meaningless reduction from my 5dII - but the (hopefully) vastly better AF and improved high ISO will open up new possibilities.

I am personally glad Canon did not go for super-duper resolution and will hopefully give trmemendous high ISO and near instantaneous AF. When I got my 5DII I was so tempted by the 1D Mk IV, but glad I did it this way round and can relegate the 5D II to the back up role.

This is the first digital camera I have ever been terribly excited about.

emr

This is exactly the right move by Canon. Kudos for not getting into this megapixel nonsense and instead making a camera that will stand out in usability and quality.
You know, it's funny that during the last years so many people on different photography forums have wished for the pixel race to stop. Now Canon is taking a clear step in that exact direction and on some forums (not here) people are complaining now about the low pixel count.:ROTFL:

Shashin

You know, it's funny that during the last years so many people on different photography forums have wished for the pixel race to stop. Now Canon is taking a clear step in that exact direction and on some forums (not here) people are complaining now about the low pixel count.:ROTFL:
You apparently don't understand. More mega pixels are bad if they are more than I what have now--how dare companies keep releasing new gear with better specs! But when I want a new camera, then more mega pixels are good because I am one of the discerning few. Just like when you buy a new sports car, you are a an ignorant, tasteless show off, but when I buy a new sports car, I am the coolest thing on the block (which is why I also need the sunglasses and driving gloves).:cool:

But I really like how the companies have trained us to start thinking about new camera purchases with every product release.

DavidL

The specs look really good to me and if I was still going to be a working pro after 2012 I would certainly think of going back to Canon assuming, focus is accurate and reliable, flash system is updated to be approaching Nikon's.
18mp is more than enough for me and I'd suggest if you need mega, mega pixels medium format is the way to go.
Have always missed the Canon 135 f2
David

ustein

Contributing Editor
For me it would be important how much lower moire the video produces. But staying at 18MP is a good move.

Ben Rubinstein

I think the megapixel count issue is that there are people who want/need more, there are people who need higher iso, people who need more fps and bigger buffers and people who need more and better video.

And there are people who don't.

In the past we have pushed our digital cameras to accomplish what would have taken several bodies over several formats to do and we are doing stuff that just didn't exist in the past. So we have a personal shopping list of stuff that we want a camera to do which in essence no camera has ever been able to do in the past, not all of it. Being a personal shopping list everyone also has very different stuff on it. We've never quite managed to tick all the boxes in the past but slowly but surely we are coming closer, an incredible, mind blowing feat, to that goal.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I think the megapixel count issue is that there are people who want/need more

Yes, but if they need more they need quality more. In marketing the megapixel count race is about the numbers and not so much about the quality. That said 18MP are lot and if good even better. Of course there is a place for IQ80 resolution.

etrigan63

Has anyone noticed the GigE network connection built-in? No more tethering using firewire or USB cabling. Get a Cat-6 wire and you can be 50m from the hub/switch!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am sure that the !dX is only the high ISO "low MP" model coming first.

I expect a 1DsX or however they call it will come a bit later - guess 36MP then.

Cheers

Peter