The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The 1Dx has arrived!

Shashin

I am sure that the !dX is only the high ISO "low MP" model coming first.

I expect a 1DsX or however they call it will come a bit later - guess 36MP then.

Cheers

Peter
The Canon has clearly stated this will be the only 1D model released.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The Canon has clearly stated this will be the only 1D model released.
I cannot imagine that they will not aim for more that 18MP when they have already a 21MP 1DsMk3 and 5D2 since several years. Plus a 7D with 18MP on a APSC sensor.

I think what they mean is that this other - higher MP model - will be called differently. But I am pretty sure that something will come. Otherwise they would leave that field to Nikon and Sony which will come pretty much into the 36MP resolution in their next generation pro models.

Simply cannot imagine that Canon would give up this market. Although it might be a wise move to limit to something like 18MP max on FF IMHO ;)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>you mean on a new 6µm pixel pitch 30x45mm format sensor with a new mount and a new lens lineup ... ?

Maybe we get surprised in 2012.

saxshooter

The new AF had better be good! You're going to have a lot of sports shooters shooting 300, 400, 500, 600mm lenses wide open on this full frame sensor. You will have slightly shallower DOF with this FF body than with the 1.3 crop Mark IV. I hope the keeper rate is the same if not better!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I am sure that the !dX is only the high ISO "low MP" model coming first.

I expect a 1DsX or however they call it will come a bit later - guess 36MP then.

Cheers

Peter
Maybe Canon has concluded that the 1D series body isn't a requirement for high MP users. I wouldn't be surprised if the 5DII outsells the 1DsIII by 1000 to 1. In that case, merging the two by upgrading the 5D body is probably the most profitable way to go. Nikon is apparently going in the same direction if the rumours around the D800 are anything to go by.

turtle

I agree. I think there is a chance the 5d III (or whatever the Mk II's successor is called) will be the high MP camera.

pophoto

I agree. I think there is a chance the 5d III (or whatever the Mk II's successor is called) will be the high MP camera.
"Rumors" have suggested in the past that the 1D and 1Ds line will combine, it had also suggested an introduction of a 3D line to fit between the 1D and 5D.

A past Canon Expo showed off a 50MP sensor. I still think there could be possibilities to satisfy a higher MP sensor in a camera soon. So if there is any truth to these speculations, the 3D could be the higher MP still camera, and the 5D remain the king of FF HD DSLR! The only thing missing from mention is shooting HD video in 4K RAW!

Yay to rumors :p

turtle

Indeed! One has to be careful to think strategically with future purchases and not get sucked in. I am so glad I did not buy a 1D mkIV because this 1DX is a real leap forwards and what I wanted 12 months ago when I got the 5DII as the 'stop gap'

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Indeed! One has to be careful to think strategically with future purchases and not get sucked in. I am so glad I did not buy a 1D mkIV because this 1DX is a real leap forwards and what I wanted 12 months ago when I got the 5DII as the 'stop gap'
Agree completely!

arild

I have a separate account for savings towards this camera. The fiancee even OK'ed it, so with a pinch of luck, I´ll own this by the end of 2012!

Now, what I think is good about this camera;
-35mm full frame. Excellent!
-A separate CPU for AF/metering. Three is simply more than two. Must be good.
-Up to 9 image HDR, creating one very interesting RAW file (good for those of us who can´t figure out layers in photoshop, merging, etc).
-12fps RAW. This is great, especially for bracketing exposures within a single moment, IE street shooting. 14fps JPG is less interesting to me, at least given the constraints.
-Dual joysticks. Great for AF point selection
-18mpx, probably getting great high ISO, low light pictures. I never really saw the great difference in comparisons between the 1D mkIV and the Nikon D3s, but to be honest, I never shot either. This should be great.
-It´s eerily similar to my 1D mkII. Much closer in looks to that than to the mark IIIs and IV, so I could potentially get two without the fiancee noticing. If she did, however, there´s a shed in our back yard, and presumably, I´d live there for the next 10 years.

Why I think Canon sucks:
-No dedicated mirror lock up button/switch! It does, however, have a dedicated video button. Why, oh why, dear Canon?
-That´s it, really. The only thing I wanted that isn´t a part of the features list of the 1D X is an MLU switch. My FTb has one, for crying out loud!

Why Canon could potentially suck:
-If they don´t release a revised 35/1.4L, I´ll go Nikon at the time of purchase. Theirs is pretty new, and weather/dust gasketed.
-Wouldn´t hurt if the 35 mentioned has a 77mm thread, but I won´t be picky, I promise.

Bottom line, I´m getting this camera, come hell or high water. When I´m getting it will be an entirely different question. My guess, just before christmas 2012.

saxshooter

+1 on 5D Mark III being the higher megapixel camera. It was a matter of time that Canon would do away with the 1.3x crop camera (full frame sensors were expensive and camera processing power was limited in 2001 when the original 1D came out) and have only 1 flagship 1D series.

arild

+1 on 5D Mark III being the higher megapixel camera. It was a matter of time that Canon would do away with the 1.3x crop camera (full frame sensors were expensive and camera processing power was limited in 2001 when the original 1D came out) and have only 1 flagship 1D series.
Agreed on this. When I do end up buying an "X", I could see myself getting a 5D for travelling. It costs peanuts today, and will probably not rise in price during the next year.. Heh.

Now, if Canon were to create an ultra high mp 5D mkIII, keep it relatively affordable, then I could see a lot of people owning/using both that and an "X". (Can´t believe they named it 1D X) 5D for landscapes and architecture, 1D for everything else.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It will obviously be the 5D Y, and if it doesn't have a dedicated MLU button, I can see it being nicknamed "Y on earth".

Kirk Candlish

It's interesting to see how the various forums react to Canon's announcement. It's primarily positive here and at DPR. They're ragging on it at LuLu, which I find tends to happen there a lot.

Clearly we need to see images and until then it's all speculation.

How can you know if you need more than 18 pixels when you've never seen what these pixels look like ? They backtracked on the pixel count with the G series and improved the camera. And they did that with far simpler and fewer changes to the camera than they're giving the new 1Dx.

Remember, Canon is a printer company that happens to make cameras as a sideline. They're a pretty smart and competent corporation as a whole and I don't think they're anybody's fool. They came late to the digital market and then owned it for some time.

Now only time will tell what they've got in mind.

It looks like it'll be a great camera and I doubt you'll be able to get your hands on one for months after it's released, it'll be that popular.