Quote Originally Posted by Dolce Moda View Post
    Exactly the right path!

++1 for well done!

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The 1Dx has arrived!

I must say I am impressed. Now how is the high iso performance and how good are the skin tones? How loud is the shutter? Would it be enough to make me jump ship back to Canon? The $6800 price tag can be a bit off-putting.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let's see what price the D4 comes out at and with what megapixel count, I can't see anything noticeable in this new body in comparison with the D3s other than resolution.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Let's see what price the D4 comes out at and with what megapixel count, I can't see anything noticeable in this new body in comparison with the D3s other than resolution.
    better AF? much faster? better light metering? better colors? better high ISO at same time 1/3 more MP?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is exactly the right move by Canon. Kudos for not getting into this megapixel nonsense and instead making a camera that will stand out in usability and quality.

Greetings from Munich
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    better AF? much faster? better light metering? better colors? better high ISO at same time 1/3 more MP?
    5 months till release and you bet that unless you're shooting the Olympics or in Hollywood you won't see one for 2 months after that. But when we do, the D4 will also have been released and we can actually do some comparisons which are more meaningful than just a specsheet. At the moment all the comparisons are spec sheet against 3 year old competition and I just think that it's silly.

Yes so far Canon have written a spec sheet which for once doesn't seem crippled in any way whatsoever. Truly a camera to be proud of and the first one since my 5Dc's which would interest me in buying it if it wasn't so ridiculously priced (RRP in UK is over what the 1Ds3 has been for some 2.5 years and the price won't drop below RRP for a good long while, Canon's new strategy of amalgmate two lines and charge the higher price is a good idea if no one has been paying the really big bucks for a camera for the past 3 years but in todays economy perhaps just a bit um? What the heck they'll sell all they can by keeping supplies low and prices high like with the 5DII).

But I'm interested to see why Canon felt the need to announce a camera 5 months prior to release, they've never done that before or even close and it does worry me. I think there is more to what canon is up to than meets the eye. Or maybe it's just the need to announce something pre olympics, pre nikon but while they are still repairing from the tsunami damage?
    Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 18th October 2011 at 04:31.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought they came out with the big white paper a while before they came out with one of the prior 1D's

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But I'm interested to see why Canon felt the need to announce a camera 5 months prior to release, they've never done that before or even close and it does worry me. I think there is more to what canon is up to than meets the eye. Or maybe it's just the need to announce something pre olympics, pre nikon but while they are still repairing from the tsunami damage?
    Ben,
    I think it is "all of the above".

Announce before Nikon
    Pre-Olympics (get in the mindset)
    Cover for delays from natural disasters gumming up the works
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

This is great news and I hope it lives up to its potential. 18mp is plenty for me - a meaningless reduction from my 5dII - but the (hopefully) vastly better AF and improved high ISO will open up new possibilities.

I am personally glad Canon did not go for super-duper resolution and will hopefully give trmemendous high ISO and near instantaneous AF. When I got my 5DII I was so tempted by the 1D Mk IV, but glad I did it this way round and can relegate the 5D II to the back up role.

This is the first digital camera I have ever been terribly excited about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    This is exactly the right move by Canon. Kudos for not getting into this megapixel nonsense and instead making a camera that will stand out in usability and quality.
    You know, it's funny that during the last years so many people on different photography forums have wished for the pixel race to stop. Now Canon is taking a clear step in that exact direction and on some forums (not here) people are complaining now about the low pixel count.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    You know, it's funny that during the last years so many people on different photography forums have wished for the pixel race to stop. Now Canon is taking a clear step in that exact direction and on some forums (not here) people are complaining now about the low pixel count.
    You apparently don't understand. More mega pixels are bad if they are more than I what have now--how dare companies keep releasing new gear with better specs! But when I want a new camera, then more mega pixels are good because I am one of the discerning few. Just like when you buy a new sports car, you are a an ignorant, tasteless show off, but when I buy a new sports car, I am the coolest thing on the block (which is why I also need the sunglasses and driving gloves).

But I really like how the companies have trained us to start thinking about new camera purchases with every product release.

Post Thanks / Like

The specs look really good to me and if I was still going to be a working pro after 2012 I would certainly think of going back to Canon assuming, focus is accurate and reliable, flash system is updated to be approaching Nikon's.
    18mp is more than enough for me and I'd suggest if you need mega, mega pixels medium format is the way to go.
    Have always missed the Canon 135 f2
    David

Post Thanks / Like

For me it would be important how much lower moire the video produces. But staying at 18MP is a good move.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the megapixel count issue is that there are people who want/need more, there are people who need higher iso, people who need more fps and bigger buffers and people who need more and better video.

And there are people who don't.

In the past we have pushed our digital cameras to accomplish what would have taken several bodies over several formats to do and we are doing stuff that just didn't exist in the past. So we have a personal shopping list of stuff that we want a camera to do which in essence no camera has ever been able to do in the past, not all of it. Being a personal shopping list everyone also has very different stuff on it. We've never quite managed to tick all the boxes in the past but slowly but surely we are coming closer, an incredible, mind blowing feat, to that goal.

Post Thanks / Like

>I think the megapixel count issue is that there are people who want/need more

Yes, but if they need more they need quality more. In marketing the megapixel count race is about the numbers and not so much about the quality. That said 18MP are lot and if good even better. Of course there is a place for IQ80 resolution.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Very impressive, but I'm not sure about the price tag...
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the title of the thread should be changed to "The 1DX announcement has arrived!"
    Brad Husick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anyone noticed the GigE network connection built-in? No more tethering using firewire or USB cabling. Get a Cat-6 wire and you can be 50m from the hub/switch!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    I am sure that the !dX is only the high ISO "low MP" model coming first.

I expect a 1DsX or however they call it will come a bit later - guess 36MP then.

Cheers

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I expect a 1DsX or however they call it will come a bit later - guess 36MP then.

Cheers

Peter
    The Canon has clearly stated this will be the only 1D model released.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    The Canon has clearly stated this will be the only 1D model released.
    I cannot imagine that they will not aim for more that 18MP when they have already a 21MP 1DsMk3 and 5D2 since several years. Plus a 7D with 18MP on a APSC sensor.

I think what they mean is that this other - higher MP model - will be called differently. But I am pretty sure that something will come. Otherwise they would leave that field to Nikon and Sony which will come pretty much into the 36MP resolution in their next generation pro models.

Simply cannot imagine that Canon would give up this market. Although it might be a wise move to limit to something like 18MP max on FF IMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

(...) I expect a 1DsX or however they call it will come a bit later - guess 36MP then (...)

you mean on a new 6ĩm pixel pitch 30x45mm format sensor with a new mount and a new lens lineup ... ?

Post Thanks / Like

>you mean on a new 6ĩm pixel pitch 30x45mm format sensor with a new mount and a new lens lineup ... ?

Maybe we get surprised in 2012.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

The new AF had better be good! You're going to have a lot of sports shooters shooting 300, 400, 500, 600mm lenses wide open on this full frame sensor. You will have slightly shallower DOF with this FF body than with the 1.3 crop Mark IV. I hope the keeper rate is the same if not better!
    Sony NEX, Olympus m4/3 + Panasonic lenses, Leica M, and too many lenses

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    I think the title of the thread should be changed to "The 1DX announcement has arrived!"

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cheers

Peter
    Maybe Canon has concluded that the 1D series body isn't a requirement for high MP users. I wouldn't be surprised if the 5DII outsells the 1DsIII by 1000 to 1. In that case, merging the two by upgrading the 5D body is probably the most profitable way to go. Nikon is apparently going in the same direction if the rumours around the D800 are anything to go by.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I think there is a chance the 5d III (or whatever the Mk II's successor is called) will be the high MP camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    I agree. I think there is a chance the 5d III (or whatever the Mk II's successor is called) will be the high MP camera.
    I am almost sure about that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh my and what will "Canon rumors" do now?
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

"Rumors" have suggested in the past that the 1D and 1Ds line will combine, it had also suggested an introduction of a 3D line to fit between the 1D and 5D.

A past Canon Expo showed off a 50MP sensor. I still think there could be possibilities to satisfy a higher MP sensor in a camera soon. So if there is any truth to these speculations, the 3D could be the higher MP still camera, and the 5D remain the king of FF HD DSLR! The only thing missing from mention is shooting HD video in 4K RAW!

Yay to rumors :P

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed! One has to be careful to think strategically with future purchases and not get sucked in. I am so glad I did not buy a 1D mkIV because this 1DX is a real leap forwards and what I wanted 12 months ago when I got the 5DII as the 'stop gap'

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed! One has to be careful to think strategically with future purchases and not get sucked in. I am so glad I did not buy a 1D mkIV because this 1DX is a real leap forwards and what I wanted 12 months ago when I got the 5DII as the 'stop gap'
    Agree completely!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a separate account for savings towards this camera. The fiancee even OK'ed it, so with a pinch of luck, Iīll own this by the end of 2012!

Now, what I think is good about this camera;
    -35mm full frame. Excellent!
    -A separate CPU for AF/metering. Three is simply more than two. Must be good.
    -Up to 9 image HDR, creating one very interesting RAW file (good for those of us who canīt figure out layers in photoshop, merging, etc).
    -12fps RAW. This is great, especially for bracketing exposures within a single moment, IE street shooting. 14fps JPG is less interesting to me, at least given the constraints.
    -Dual joysticks. Great for AF point selection
    -18mpx, probably getting great high ISO, low light pictures. I never really saw the great difference in comparisons between the 1D mkIV and the Nikon D3s, but to be honest, I never shot either. This should be great.
    -Itīs eerily similar to my 1D mkII. Much closer in looks to that than to the mark IIIs and IV, so I could potentially get two without the fiancee noticing. If she did, however, thereīs a shed in our back yard, and presumably, Iīd live there for the next 10 years.

Why I think Canon sucks:
    -No dedicated mirror lock up button/switch! It does, however, have a dedicated video button. Why, oh why, dear Canon?
    -Thatīs it, really. The only thing I wanted that isnīt a part of the features list of the 1D X is an MLU switch. My FTb has one, for crying out loud!

Why Canon could potentially suck:
    -If they donīt release a revised 35/1.4L, Iīll go Nikon at the time of purchase. Theirs is pretty new, and weather/dust gasketed.
    -Wouldnīt hurt if the 35 mentioned has a 77mm thread, but I wonīt be picky, I promise.

Bottom line, Iīm getting this camera, come hell or high water. When Iīm getting it will be an entirely different question. My guess, just before christmas 2012.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on 5D Mark III being the higher megapixel camera. It was a matter of time that Canon would do away with the 1.3x crop camera (full frame sensors were expensive and camera processing power was limited in 2001 when the original 1D came out) and have only 1 flagship 1D series.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saxshooter View Post
    +1 on 5D Mark III being the higher megapixel camera. It was a matter of time that Canon would do away with the 1.3x crop camera (full frame sensors were expensive and camera processing power was limited in 2001 when the original 1D came out) and have only 1 flagship 1D series.
    Agreed on this. When I do end up buying an "X", I could see myself getting a 5D for travelling. It costs peanuts today, and will probably not rise in price during the next year.. Heh.

Now, if Canon were to create an ultra high mp 5D mkIII, keep it relatively affordable, then I could see a lot of people owning/using both that and an "X". (Canīt believe they named it 1D X) 5D for landscapes and architecture, 1D for everything else.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It will obviously be the 5D Y, and if it doesn't have a dedicated MLU button, I can see it being nicknamed "Y on earth".

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting to see how the various forums react to Canon's announcement. It's primarily positive here and at DPR. They're ragging on it at LuLu, which I find tends to happen there a lot.

Clearly we need to see images and until then it's all speculation.

How can you know if you need more than 18 pixels when you've never seen what these pixels look like ? They backtracked on the pixel count with the G series and improved the camera. And they did that with far simpler and fewer changes to the camera than they're giving the new 1Dx.

Remember, Canon is a printer company that happens to make cameras as a sideline. They're a pretty smart and competent corporation as a whole and I don't think they're anybody's fool. They came late to the digital market and then owned it for some time.

Now only time will tell what they've got in mind.

It looks like it'll be a great camera and I doubt you'll be able to get your hands on one for months after it's released, it'll be that popular.

RazorTM

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Candlish View Post
    Remember, Canon is a printer company that happens to make cameras as a sideline.
    If you're joking, then the internet has kept me from catching the sarcasm, but Canon started out as a camera company and has only since branched out into other areas.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/h...1933_1936.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >you mean on a new 6ĩm pixel pitch 30x45mm format sensor with a new mount and a new lens lineup ... ?

Maybe we get surprised in 2012.
    Could Canon have one eye on the Leica S2?

Post Thanks / Like

If Canon is going after the DMF market, I hope they do it with a 48X36 sensor, minimum.
    Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Kerfoot View Post
    Could Canon have one eye on the Leica S2?

Post Thanks / Like

OK,
    17th Oct till 11th Jan!
    Who has seen a 1DX?
    Has anyone here shot one?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got to fondle one at PhotoPlus last October. They wouldn't let me keep any shots though.

Post Thanks / Like

Feb. 14th. And Counting!

Come on Canon show some love will ya?

Melilot29

I love this camera. It is my next target now. I love the specifications. Great work my Canon.

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have a pre-order placed with B&H. Any idea when Canon will start some serious shipping to dealers?

Post Thanks / Like

Some rumor sites speculate early as July, but more hopeful in August and even September!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The only 35mm DSLR I am interested in. Seems a perfect camera for 35mm applications based on the specs.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Hope they iron out any kinks before the London Olympics (which starts end of July).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    The only 35mm DSLR I am interested in. Seems a perfect camera for 35mm applications based on the specs.

-Marc
    Although I suspect the similar low light AF issues I've come across with the 5D Mark III. Probably minor to most people.