The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZE coming to an EOS mount near you

Bernard

The original ZE mount was for Mamiya SLR's in the 1970's and 80's. What if the new ZE mount was for the Mamiya/Phase One cameras? After all, Zeiss is a little short on medium format customers these days, and "ZM" was already taken by their Leica M lenses...

Seriously, I think that ZE will be for EOS. What's interesting is that Canon must have given their OK. This means that they probably aren't comfortable with the fact that people are buying Nikon-mount lenses to use on their EOS's. After all, if Nikon releases a body with 25MP+, what's to stop all of the Zeiss customers from buying it? Their lenses already fit, and they won't need to do the stop-down dance anymore. The best thing for Canon to do is to let Zeiss use their mount. They will lose a few lens sales, but that's better than losing both lens and body sales.

fotografz

It'll be interesting if Canon allowed this. I doubt it, but you never know.

Maybe these lenses are for the vaporware MF Nikon ... ! E stands for Enormous :rolleyes:

Bernard

Wasn't the ZE a 35mm Mamiya SLR mount from the 1980's?
Yep. The lenses were pretty good too. Rollei sold some of them as Rolleinar's for their own 35mm SLR mount.
Given this history, it's obvious that a Zeiss ZE mount could only be for Mamiya. :)

mark1958

My question is if Canon has to give permission or not? There are Tamron and Sigma lenses available in EOS mount. Did canon have to give permission? I suspect they can be cooperative or not and if not making it more difficult to accomplish making such a lens but I have always wondered if by law they have to give permission. Does anyone know for sure?

It'll be interesting if Canon allowed this. I doubt it, but you never know.

Maybe these lenses are for the vaporware MF Nikon ... ! E stands for Enormous :rolleyes:

robsteve

Subscriber
I have read that it is not the mount that has a patent on it, but the software specifications for the lens to talk to the camera. Sigma reverse engineered, Tamron paid the license fee. Note also that you never hear of older Tamron models not working on newer Canons, while it was a common problem with Sigma.

mark1958

I guess it is not illegal to reverse engineer then since I suspect if it was an issue Canon would sue. With the problems with canon lenses, especially the wide angles, it seems like it would be cost effective for Zeiss to reverse engineer.

I have read that it is not the mount that has a patent on it, but the software specifications for the lens to talk to the camera. Sigma reverse engineered, Tamron paid the license fee. Note also that you never hear of older Tamron models not working on newer Canons, while it was a common problem with Sigma.

Homey

I gotta agree with that. I have a Sigma 105 Macro.
The lens is sharper than any L glass I own.
worked fine on D60 and 20D no auto focus on 5D and 1Ds II.

Which leads me to this. If these new lenses are not auto focus wouldn't it be a waste of money to buy the license from Canon?

I mean reverse engineering the App would be simple compared to the auto focus system.
And since this would be for a small target group the license cost would be passed on to the customer.

Uaiomex

Best photo news of the year so far!
Zeiss 21 and 85 plus new 5D2 will keep me very happy while I wait for medium format digital backs (new, used or refurbished) to come with sensitive prices. Have a great full moon everybody!
Eduardo

wow.. Nice find.
Prices look good too..

J

jmboss

To All. This is wonderful news...

Canon goes Zeiss

"Neue Objektive von Zeiss jetzt auch mit EF-Bajonett New lenses from Zeiss now with EF bayonet 2008-09-15 Im Moment kommt man als Besitzer einer Canon-SLR bei Zeiss noch nicht besonders weit. 2008-09-15 At the moment you as the owner of a Canon SLR with Zeiss still not very far. Auf der Website gibt es bei den Objektiven keine Rubrik für Canon und das EF-Bajonett. On the website there are no lenses in the Canon and heading for the EF bayonet. Das soll sich ab Herbst 2008 ändern, und den Anfang machen die bereits bekannten Planar-Objektive T*1,4/50 ZE und T*1,4/85 ZE. That should change from autumn 2008, and the beginning make the already known lenses Planar T * 1.4 / 50 ZE and T * 1.4 / 85 PA. Außerdem wird der Klassiker Distagon T*2,8/21 nun auch für F- und K-Bajonett verfügbar. In addition, the classic Dist Agon T * 2.8 / 21 now for R-and K-bayonet. Später soll auch ein EF-Anschluss dazu kommen. Later is also an EF connection to come."

The 21mm F2.8 will be priced at around $2000.00 USD and available by the end of the year. Very nice!

Joe Bossuyt

fotografz

Announced today, Canon/Zeiss mounts but EF mounts, not EOS mounts. Sad really.

Neil
Yep. Sad given the state of Canon wides.

But as I mentioned, an EOS version was unlikely ... it's still a protected mount, and the quantity of MF lenses that would be sold probably didn't justify a license or engineering needed for data bus contacts ... since Canon doesn't have a firmware provision to program in non CPU lenses like the Nikon D3/D700/D300 do.

robmac

The new ZE's give full exif data, auto aperture, focus confirm, E-TTL support, etc... Basic data is up on the Zeiss website. I know some are bitching about a lack of an aperture ring, but other than AF (which was never really in the cards), don't know what else someone would need.

While I still prefer Leica glass by a small margin (it's a contrast thing), it looks like they're offering what people wanted - albeit at modestly higher prices vs the ZF versions and with gradual introduction.

From Zeiss:

"Carl Zeiss is expanding its successful line of SLR lenses: ZE lenses with EF bayonet for all analog and digital EOS camera models. As with all EF lenses, the new ZE lenses from Carl Zeiss transfer all information exclusively via electronic contacts. This means that all exposure modes such as programmed auto exposure, shutter priority, aperture priority and manual setting are supported. The camera’s automatic focus confirmation also remains available to an unlimited extent with these manual focus lenses. With digital SLRs, the lens data and all exposure data can also be accessed via the camera’s EXIF file. Even E-TTL flash metering is supported."

Last edited:

Marc Wilson

Completely agree.
Its a line of manual focus lenses of very high quality without the need for an adaptor and all the issues that entails such as stop down metering, focus problems, etc, etc.

The full exif information also means that a programme such as dxo optics will be able to write 100% accurate correction software for distortion and CA for these lenses giving auto corrections at the touch of a button.

So for interior and or architectural work, not to mention landscape, do they not provide the perfect primes for a 35mm canon body?