The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZE coming to an EOS mount near you

Arne Hvaring

Excellent news, with full exif even better than anticipated. No need to manually input focal length and max aperture as on a Nikon body.
No words on availability of ZE 18,25,28,35 and the 50&100 macros though. Probably translates to 2009...

neils

Well this is better than I thought. When I read EF mount my mind went to the old F1 style mount. But they do fit EOS cameras film and digital, my error. This is good for Canon shooters. Bye bye adapters.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Just got official word from our Zeiss rep. The new ZE 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.4 will be available starting in December 2008. Fully compatible in all shooting modes (PSAM) means no more stop-down metering. The 21 and 18 are coming next.... then the rest of the ZF line will be converted over to ZE.

$660 for the 50mm and $1170 for the 85mm.

Taking pre-orders.... :D I'll put up a link to our store a little later. In the meantime, you could just send me a PM if you want one.

David

D

diglloyd

A teaser on the Zeiss site; ZE lenses are coming, but what does the E represent? Canon EF? Olympus E System? Or what else?
Maybe "electronic"?

At any rate, the "green dot" focus confirmation is useless: Zeiss ZE 85mm f/1.4 Planar for Canon EOS focus problem

(I've shot dozens of examples and cross checked against EF 85/1.2L and 85/1.8, it's the ZE with an issue). Stick with by-eye focus but then beware of stopping down. It's a hard lens to shoot, but results are nice, different from EF, like ice cream flavors.

It appears to be due to the fact that the AF system "sees" the angle of view seen at f/5.6, and therefore when shooting at wide aperture (f/1.4), front focus due to spherical aberration occurs. Maybe—it's so far off that it's a bit hard to believe, especially since Zeiss has told me that the 85/1.4 Planar has the least focus shift (caused by S.A.) of Canon/Nikon/Leica near infinity.